Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Tulsa has also historically been a mid-major. That changes when they join the American Athletic Conference this fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'm probably showing my ignorance, but who annointed the American Athletic Conference as a major conference? Not trying to start an argument, but I was surprised by this.
    Yeah, ignoring the idea that the "high major"/"mid-major" distinction was originally a football concept, other than Connecticut and maybe Cincinnati, the AAC consists entirely of schools that historically have been mid-majors in basketball. Now that Louisville's gone, the Atlantic 10 is more of a major basketball conference than the AAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    The AAC will be a couple steps below what the Big East was, but probably a step above Conference USA.
    Actually, other than UConn (from the Big East) and Temple (from the Atlantic 10), I believe every single member of the AAC came from Conference USA. So it's arguable whether it's really a step above.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Michael White, son of the Duke AD Kevin White, just signed a long term multimillion dollar extension to keep him HC at La. Tech. I wonder if the administrators at La. Tech were worried about that empty spot on the Duke bench.
    This could be downright Alford-esque. Apparently Michael White is now the focus of Tennessee's search for a new head coach. Link to story.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Shabazz Napier?

The AAC will be a couple steps below what the Big East was, but probably a step above Conference USA.
    The AAC was definitely a major conference this year, as far as I am concerned. UConn, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU (under Larry Brown) and Temple (though they were bad this year, the Owls are a traditional basketball power and in 2013 were a possession away from beating top-seeded Indiana in the NCAAs and perhaps embarking on a Final Four run. That Temple team was loaded). Even Houston, which has five Final Fours in program history, including two national championship game appearances in the '80s, is a former national power that could possibly be on the cusp of a revival under the recently-hired Kelvin Sampson (he'll have a long road ahead of him, but Sampson certainly possesses the pedigree to do it).

Even with the loss of Louisville, the AAC still has the foundation of a great basketball conference with historically good teams and a strong collection of coaches. The conference is at least on par with that of the Atlantic 10, if not better (with UConn leading the way, I'd say the AAC is indeed better). Kevin Ollie, Larry Brown, Mick Cronin, Kelvin Sampson and Josh Pastner (not a great tactical coach, but certainly an elite recruiter) is not a lineup one will find in many mid-major conferences.

While it is not the Old Big East, the AAC is not a conference to be taken lightly.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This could be downright Alford-esque. Apparently Michael White is now the focus of Tennessee's search for a new head coach. Link to story.
    Interesting bit from that story.
    A source told CBSSports.com that UT has informally contacted some "A-list" candidates but that the interest hasn't been mutual. Another source told CBSSports.com that at least one potential candidate expressed no interest mostly because Tennessee's roster is in bad shape given that the Vols are losing four of their top five players from a Sweet 16 team.
    Well if you are an "A list" coach, you shouldn't care. Your job is to go in there and make a bad team better, and if you are worthy of your high praise, then you should be able to do that. Might not have a championship out of the gate, but that is a weak excuse and very shortsighted. You will have your own recruits playing for you in a year or two, and one would assume since you are such a hotshot coach you could get some high ranking players signing on your dotted line.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Well if you are an "A list" coach, you shouldn't care. Your job is to go in there and make a bad team better, and if you are worthy of your high praise, then you should be able to do that. Might not have a championship out of the gate, but that is a weak excuse and very shortsighted. You will have your own recruits playing for you in a year or two, and one would assume since you are such a hotshot coach you could get some high ranking players signing on your dotted line.
    Easy to say that before the losses start piling up. If I had the choice between a roster of veterans and some nice incoming recruits and a roster of unproven, poorly-regarded players and my career was riding on what I did in the next five years, I know which I would take. Johnny Dawkins has survived by the skin of his teeth at Stanford, and his defenders point to the extreme weakness of what was there when he arrived. Perhaps if he'd had more to work with initially, Johnny would have had a lot more job security by now. He has survived, but not all coaches do.

A list coaches are no different than anyone else who is considering changing jobs. You ultimately determine if the new opportunity matches or exceeds where you work currently. If an A list coach doesn't view UT as a step up (and that includes the existing roster) then there is no need to consider leaving. I can't imagine any A list coach wanting to take the UT job.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    A list coaches are no different than anyone else who is considering changing jobs. You ultimately determine if the new opportunity matches or exceeds where you work currently. If an A list coach doesn't view UT as a step up (and that includes the existing roster) then there is no need to consider leaving. I can't imagine any A list coach wanting to take the UT job.
    That is more to my point. UT is not an attractive job, by any stretch. But to use the roster as an excuse seems like a weak one to me if you believe in your skills. IF I were on their short list and not interested, I could give a few more legitimate reasons before saying "nobody is playing for you next year"; that is just a very short sighted reason to me. Just seemed like an odd one to make; it tells me the coach is more frightened by a challenge than smartly avoiding a frustrating place to work.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That is more to my point. UT is not an attractive job, by any stretch. But to use the roster as an excuse seems like a weak one to me if you believe in your skills. IF I were on their short list and not interested, I could give a few more legitimate reasons before saying "nobody is playing for you next year"; that is just a very short sighted reason to me. Just seemed like an odd one to make; it tells me the coach is more frightened by a challenge than smartly avoiding a frustrating place to work.
    Perhaps my head is more easily turned by the likely reward of a $2-3 million contract for four years, but the successful coach at a lesser school, or a top assistant, or a former head coach would be very interested in this job. The"cupboard is bare" factor is part of the initial discussion and every subsequent one before contract signing.

Because of the boorishness of the UT fans' treatment of Cuonzo, Tennessee will have to sweeten the pot for the next coach
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Because of the boorishness of the UT fans' treatment of Cuonzo, Tennessee will have to sweeten the pot for the next coach
    We want our Head Cheater back!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Perhaps my head is more easily turned by the likely reward of a $2-3 million contract for four years, but the successful coach at a lesser school, or a top assistant, or a former head coach would be very interested in this job. The"cupboard is bare" factor is part of the initial discussion and every subsequent one before contract signing.

Rick Byrd at Belmont seems like kind of a no-brainer at Tennessee. There's no reason why UT shouldn't want him, and unless he's just ultra-comfortable at Belmont without the desire to move up the ladder, I would think he's be interested in a power conference job in a place where he already has recruiting relationships and where he'd be making a lot more money. And two straight coaches have already proven that, UF and UK notwithstanding, you can have real success at Tennessee.

Agreed that on paper Rick Byrd seems like a great fit for Tennessee. More than 600 career wins and six NCAA Tournament appearances since 2006 at Belmont, a program he built from the ground up. But at 60 years of age, I would think it unlikely that he would want to change lanes at this point in his career and take on a rebuilding job at a bigger school. Byrd reminds me of Bob McKillop of Davidson. Having been at Belmont for almost 30 years (1986), he just seems happy where he is and is probably a lifer.

Such a move would've seemed more likely five or six years ago when Belmont first started to really make waves nationally with 30-win seasons and competitive trips to the NCAA Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Agreed that on paper Rick Byrd seems like a great fit for Tennessee. More than 600 career wins and six NCAA Tournament appearances since 2006 at Belmont, a program he built from the ground up. But at 60 years of age, I would think it unlikely that he would want to change lanes at this point in his career and take on a rebuilding job at a bigger school. Byrd reminds me of Bob McKillop of Davidson. Having been at Belmont for almost 30 years (1986), he just seems happy where he is and is probably a lifer.

Such a move would've seemed more likely five or six years ago when Belmont first started to really make waves nationally with 30-win seasons and competitive trips to the NCAA Tournament.
    You make a good point about his age, but it's not unheard of for guys at that point in their careers to make a move up. Jim Larranaga comes to mind immediately. And I think in some respects, the Tennessee job for Byrd would be a better job, one in which real success was more attainable, than was the Miami job for Larranaga.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    You make a good point about his age, but it's not unheard of for guys at that point in their careers to make a move up. Jim Larranaga comes to mind immediately. And I think in some respects, the Tennessee job for Byrd would be a better job, one in which real success was more attainable, than was the Miami job for Larranaga.
    Good point, though in Larranaga's case, I think there had been a change in administration at GMU that drove him to start looking around.

Mike White

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

ESPN and others indicate that Mike White, son of Duke AD Kevin White, is the first choice of the UTenn AD.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...bulldogs-coach

I thought he just signed a new contract at La Tech.

SoCal

I know they are different sports, but one wonders if Tennessee is hesitant to hire a LA Tech coach after the football program went through the Derek Dooley experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I know they are different sports, but one wonders if Tennessee is hesitant to hire a LA Tech coach after the football program went through the Derek Dooley experience.
    Derek was a place-holder who was brought in to get the old stench out. You raise an interesting point, but I think the difference between round ball and pigskin in Knoxville is also pretty big. Tough for a mid-major football coach to jump to Neyland Stadium. Basketball, by contrast -- you are arguably behind the coach of the women's program as is.

Tennessee wants a big name coach in men's basketball. Tennessee needs/deserves a big name coach in football, according to most Vols.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Derek was a place-holder who was brought in to get the old stench out. You raise an interesting point, but I think the difference between round ball and pigskin in Knoxville is also pretty big. Tough for a mid-major football coach to jump to Neyland Stadium. Basketball, by contrast -- you are arguably behind the coach of the women's program as is.

Tennessee wants a big name coach in men's basketball. Tennessee needs/deserves a big name coach in football, according to most Vols.
    Excellent post, but I'd emphasize that the difference is not pretty big, it's huge. It's as big as the difference in importance between basketball and football in Indiana or Kentucky - except opposite emphasis, of course.

Dooley's hiring was puzzling to say the least. Hard to imagine what appeal a guy with a 17-20 record (and no upward trend) would have except a) being a SOV (son of Vince), b) being an assistant under Nick Saban, or c) having incriminating pictures of the AD at UTK. But whatever talents he had, they sure didn't translate to much during his head coaching stint at LaTech.

Yes, TN would like a good basketball coach. They're not about to bend over backwards to get one, though, because football not only drives the bus, football IS the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Excellent post, but I'd emphasize that the difference is not pretty big, it's huge. It's as big as the difference in importance between basketball and football in Indiana or Kentucky - except opposite emphasis, of course.

Dooley's hiring was puzzling to say the least. Hard to imagine what appeal a guy with a 17-20 record (and no upward trend) would have except a) being a SOV (son of Vince), b) being an assistant under Nick Saban, or c) having incriminating pictures of the AD at UTK. But whatever talents he had, they sure didn't translate to much during his head coaching stint at LaTech.

Yes, TN would like a good basketball coach. They're not about to bend over backwards to get one, though, because football not only drives the bus, football IS the bus.
    Agree with all of this.

As for what Derek brought, you are correct that he was young and his record did not scream "SEC Contender." I think his hiring was more due to the fact that Fulmer's tenure ended with some problems and Kiffin slimed up the place then looted the cookie cabinets. Derek was a fresh face with a reputation for running a clean program. A good place-holder to steady the ship, and if he worked out that would be gravy.

And the Dooley legacy did not hurt, even outside of Athens.

Agree with all of this.

As for what Derek brought, you are correct that he was young and his record did not scream "SEC Contender." I think his hiring was more due to the fact that Fulmer's tenure ended with some problems and Kiffin slimed up the place then looted the cookie cabinets. Derek was a fresh face with a reputation for running a clean program. A good place-holder to steady the ship, and if he worked out that would be gravy.

And the Dooley legacy did not hurt, even outside of Athens.
    You may recall that early on Derek was talking publicly about how the Tennessee players didn't even know how to shower properly... I'm not being facetious. All that fell to the wayside when the numbers didn't get on the scoreboard.

I think Vols options were limited

My memory is that David Cutcliffe basically accepted the job but Tennessee could not close the deal because the AD had given contracts to assistant coaches and Cut wanted his own guys, so he stayed (thankfully he stayed) at Duke.

When Cut turned them down they were running out of options so they took Dooley, solid SEC pedigree etc.

I don't hold the Vols AD Mike Hamilton, who has since resigned, in very high regard. For some strange reason he hired Lane Kiffin, gave multi year contracts to assistants, then hired Dooley. He also hired Bruce Pearl for BBall.

SoCal