Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This pool is going to the dogs

I had never heard of anything like this, but a pool in Fort Collins, CO opens itself to dog owners on the last day of the season, before draining and cleaning. My dog would be profoundly uninterested, but this looks like a blast.

What a great idea. Two of my three dogs would love it! I'm lucky - we have three beaches (two on the gulf and one on Tampa Bay) that allow dogs to swim near me...but the pool idea is wonderful!
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

Anti-felines

This is soooooooooo unfair to cats.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    This is soooooooooo unfair to cats.
    Can cats swim? What would happen (to the cat) if you threw a cat into a pool?

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

-EarlJam
    Have never thrown a cat in the pool, and never will. Though I think if a cat were placed in a pool, they would swim much like a dog, except they would do the cat paddle.

Have never thrown a cat in the pool, and never will. Though I think if a cat were placed in a pool, they would swim much like a dog, except they would do the cat paddle.
    Cat paddle eh? We used to have one of those for black cats that evaded my car. EarlJam you need to borrow my cat paddle for next time you see one?

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Cat paddle eh? We used to have one of those for black cats that evaded my car. EarlJam you need to borrow my cat paddle for next time you see one?
    Good idea!

As soon as I read, "Cat Paddle" I thought, "This could make a good song." I'm working on it.

-EarlJam

The Labor Day dog swim is an annual event at my condo complex. A little too wild though for my chi hua huas - big dogs and tennis balls flying everywhere. It's a blast to watch though - the dogs actually seem to smile. I did manage to get my boys into my brother's pool - they would not come near me for hours and spent that time looking for a hole in the fence through which to escape their horrible momma.

Though I think if a cat were placed in a pool, they would swim much like a dog, except they would do the cat paddle.
    And they would look really really pissed off.

-EarlJam
    I think it would jump out of the water so fast as to appear to the naked eye to have bounced.
    The Gordog

Cats on my car were signing up for the Captain's Flying School.

-EarlJam
    Most cats are excellent swimmers. There is a huge difference between being able to swim and WANTING to swim. One of my mother's cats loved the water. All of the other ones she has had over the years despised water with the heat of a thousand suns. If you throw a cat in a pool it will swim, it will probably find the ledge of pool and climb out and run for its life...then it will sneak up on you and kill you in your sleep.

Almost all dogs can swim - most love it. Greyhounds have a hard time (no body fat - they have to work very hard to keep afloat) as do bassets (too much body not enough leg). My Tervuren can swim...but you need to pick all 65 lbs of him and throw him in the water to make it happen. He will never do it on his own...large muddy puddles are OK with him though. . The lab and the standard poodle will swim literally until they are dangerously exhausted (poodles are retreivers - really they are - web feet and all). I do retreiver work with both of them and they love the water - lake, river, stream, pool, Gulf of Mexico - it doesn't matter to them.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

They do this at the sportsplex in Hillsborough too

I knew a guy who once threw a cat into a lake. I think his wounds healed up within a months time.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    Almost all dogs can swim - most love it.
    My guy LOVES to swim. Or rather, to try to swim. Unlike other dogs, he can't easily keep his snout above the water line... but it's fun to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    My guy LOVES to swim. Or rather, to try to swim. Unlike other dogs, he can't easily keep his snout above the water line... but it's fun to watch!
    My dog is a fancy pants. C0cker spaniels are supposed to be bird dogs, but mine is the kind of dude who steps daintily over puddles.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    My dog is a fancy pants. C0cker spaniels are supposed to be bird dogs, but mine is the kind of dude who steps daintily over puddles.
    That must be 'cause he is so cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    That must be 'cause he is so cute!
    Thanks! Trouble is, he knows it.