Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: 2014 ACC Tournament

Bracket has been set. Discuss here.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/championship_m-baskbl

What follows is the easiest way for me to conceive it. In chronological order:

12 Wake/13 ND --> winner gets 5 Pitt (call this Game B)
    10 UMiami/15 VPI --> winner gets 7 NCSU (Game C)
    11 GIT/14 BC --> winner gets 6 Clemson (Game D)

8 Maryland/9 FSU is the other Thursday game (Game A)

UVa gets Game A winner
    unc gets Game B winner
    Cuse gets Game C winner
    we get Game D winner

I've never been to the late Friday night game, anyone know if I buy the cheapest tickets on stub hub or something if the GC crew is super strict about people moving down since the stadium will be semi-empty?
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_...ey_bracket.pdf

The asterisk at bottom of bracket refers to "approximate game," but obviously means "approximate time." In fact, all approximate 2nd game times are approximately off by ~ 30 minutes.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 03-09-2014 at 09:34 PM.

ACC Tourney Schedule

Can this [redacted] be right? I believe we play 9pm Friday, but it seems VERY unlikely that the championship game would be Sunday at 7pm.

Better source?
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 03-10-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: bad intel

Here's one

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Can this [redacted] be right? I believe we play 9pm Friday, but it seems VERY unlikely that the championship game would be Sunday at 7pm.

Better source?
    How 'bout the ACC itself?

http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/championship_m-baskbl

Better source?
    http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_...ey_bracket.pdf

The second [asterisk] games in any session will probably start ~ 30 minutes later. The second semi on Sat aft should have an asterisk, too.

Thanks.

Any opinions about being the late game Friday?

I don't see anything listed for Saturday or Sunday on the acc sched.

I agree 7:00 is a late start considering the selection committee typically releases the brackets after the tournaments end.

Thanks.

Any opinions about being the late game Friday?
    Not sure I understand the question, but Duke definitely plays the late game Fri eve. I'd guess it would start ~ 9:30, v. either Clemson or GT, as BC's a long shot to win 2 in a row.

Maybe your question concerns the tiredness effect of playing the late game Fri on how the team would perform on Sat/Sun?? In terms of rest for the 4 seeded teams, finishing 3d is the "worst" spot. I'd expect K to play 9-10 guys at least in the first half of the Fri game, and he'd love an easy win. Almost as much as we on EK...

I'd prefer Duke's opponent Fri be BC, because they're the weakest among the 3 possible opponents, and would have played both Wed and Thurs night. The more interesting choice would be between GT and Clemson. If GT is the opponent, they, like BC, would have played the 2 previous nights. And Duke's beaten them twice. But that fact gives GT the "revenge factor" advantage [if such a factor exists]; more important, GT bigs Miller and Carter might prove tough. As for Clemson, Duke would want revenge for a bad loss. Go BC...
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 03-10-2014 at 09:28 AM.

The old Grouse roars, "Why is everything here a mystery??!!"

The ACC Web site says that Sunday's final is at 1:00PM ET, just like every other year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The old Grouse roars, "Why is everything here a mystery??!!"
    I prefer sage to grouse, but both parts are useful.

Does the ACC championship game matter for seeding purposes?

Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I jut noticed that the ACC championship game starts at 7:00, an hour after the field is announced. If it's Duke vs. Virginia, wouldn't the winner deserve a 2 seed and the loser a 3? Likewise Syracuse? What if two of the bottom 10 teams are playing? Or if one of the top four is playing one of them? Contingency seeds?

The ACC championship matters, obviously, because it is a thing in and of itself; but in past years, it has mattered secondarily for seedings. Last year, we entered the ACC tourny at 27-4. Had we advanced past Maryland, it would be hard to argue that we would not have merited a 1 seed

Does anybody know what plan (if any)i the Committee has for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Eakane View Post
    Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I jut noticed that the ACC championship game starts at 7:00
    See above, it's been 1300 hours local time for the last 30+ years. They moved the Saturday games up an hour a year or two ago, from 1330 to 1300, which I found weird.

The committee generally sets the bracket Saturday night and may have a couple contingencies when good teams still have to play on Sunday. There might be, say, a 1 seed slotted for a winner and a 2 seed for the loser, or the same seed but with more or less favorable draws. 1991, 1998 and 2004 were good examples of this and 2001 might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Not sure I understand the question, but Duke definitely plays the late game Fri eve. I'd guess it would start ~ 9:30, v. either Clemson or GT, as BC's a long shot to win 2 in a row.

Maybe your question concerns the tiredness effect of playing the late game Fri on how the team would perform on Sat/Sun?? In terms of rest for the 4 seeded teams, finishing 3d is the "worst" spot. I'd expect K to play 9-10 guys at least in the first half of the Fri game, and he'd love an easy win. Almost as much as we on EK...

I'd prefer Duke's opponent Fri be BC, because they're the weakest among the 3 possible opponents, and would have played both Wed and Thurs night. The more interesting choice would be between GT and Clemson. If GT is the opponent, they, like BC, would have played the 2 previous nights. And Duke's beaten them twice. But that fact gives GT the "revenge factor" advantage [if such a factor exists]; more important, GT bigs Miller and Carter might prove tough. As for Clemson, Duke would want revenge for a bad loss. Go BC...
    Sorry for the lack of articulation - I call it the Tablet Curse. Makes me much less verbose than I would like.

Yes, my curiosity was about playing the late game on Friday, and then (hopefully) turning around and playing middle afternoon the next day. Seems less than advantageous, but perhaps our conditioning during that 8 days stretch will come to fruition.

So, we could potentially play Clemson, 'Cuse, UNC and make it a revenge tour? I say bring it on.

I would propose that Pitt and NC State are potential wild cards in the tournament. I am sure both would relish the opportunity to play spoiler. Pitt has better NCAA odds than NCSU, but I would think that with a few wins the Wolfpack might work their way into the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakane View Post
    Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I jut noticed that the ACC championship game starts at 7:00, an hour after the field is announced. If it's Duke vs. Virginia, wouldn't the winner deserve a 2 seed and the loser a 3? Likewise Syracuse? What if two of the bottom 10 teams are playing? Or if one of the top four is playing one of them? Contingency seeds?

The ACC championship matters, obviously, because it is a thing in and of itself; but in past years, it has mattered secondarily for seedings. Last year, we entered the ACC tourny at 27-4. Had we advanced past Maryland, it would be hard to argue that we would not have merited a 1 seed

Does anybody know what plan (if any)i the Committee has for this?
    I was confused by that too, but once I discovered that particular information was posted on a Wolfpack website, I figured it was wrong.

To be fair, I have heard for years that 98% of the seeding happens prior to Sunday games, but I doubt they would actually tip off in the middle of the bracket release show.

The whole "3 seed is at a disadvantage with the late game" thing... since 2003 WE have won the tournament three times as a 3-seed: 2003, 05 and 09. FSU also won it as a three in 2012. Maryland won it as a six in 2004, which is functionally the same as a three in terms of game times. So the late Friday (3/6) has furnished the winner as often as the 1/8 game has in that time! Quit making up stuff to worry about!

(Edit to clarify Maryland in 2004.)
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 03-10-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    The whole "3 seed is at a disadvantage with the late game" thing... since 2003 WE have won the tournament three times as a 3-seed: 2003, 05 and 09. Two other 3-seeds have won it as well, Maryland in 04 and fsu in 2012. That's as many times as the 1-seed has won it in that time! Quit making up stuff to worry about!
    Whoa there, I was just asking if anyone had an opinion - not trying to stir anything up.

I like our chances in the tournament to be honest, and I'm the last one to blame scheduling, refs, what-have-you if we come up short.

Honestly, my only issue about a 9pm tip off is that it will be more like 9:30 and I won't get to go to sleep until 12. I'm an old fogey.

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I've never been to the late Friday night game, anyone know if I buy the cheapest tickets on stub hub or something if the GC crew is super strict about people moving down since the stadium will be semi-empty?
    I have the same question - anyone have info on this?

Unless something has changed from a few years ago, you can move around in Greensboro if the place isn't full. (And even if it is close to full, such as on Sunday if it's not Duke/unc.)

You will definitely have plenty of seats to choose from by halftime of our game. It'll be after 10pm by then and a lot of people without a vested interest will have left. Add to that unc, uva and wake won't be in that session and ncsu will have to win on thursday to get there, so demand for that session will be low in the first place.

I would wait until I get there and buy from a scalper. It's going to be a cheap ticket. Close to "try to get someone to give you a ticket for free" territory.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Lots of potentially interesting matchups...my first favorite being the possibility of UVA-Md to start off Friday coming off the heels of their loss. If it happens, and if UVA gets beaten, they will be on a 2 game losing streak...to the same team.
    Wake and Notre Dame is an interesting matchup too, not for the teams but for the coaches. How warm is Brey's butt? I know Bdzelik's seat is searing hot. Beating Duke is not going to save him. (Ask Seth Greenberg about that.)
    UNC and Pitt would be great matchup too.
    And of course, I am relishing another showdown with Syracuse.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."