10 12.35%
  • Vinegar Base

51 62.96%
  • Tomato Base

22 27.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    some info on NC q:

Western NC Q suffers from two stereotypes. A lot of Western NC q gets pegged as "ketchuppy" simply because Lexington Barbecue (a.k.a. the Honey Monk) in Lexington is very well known and has a very tomatoey sauce. Additionally, people assume that "tomatoey" also means "thick sauce."

In reality, a lot of Western NC q is not nearly as tomatoey as Lexington, but is also not as vinegary as Eastern Q. Meanwhile, even the Honey Monk itself has a very thin sauce, as do most Western NC places.

The biggest traditional difference is that Western places primarily use pork shoulders while Eastern places primarily use the entire pig. Also, some of the most popular Eastern places do such high volume that they no longer use wood (Wilbur's in Goldsboro, for example), so you lose some of the smoky flavor. One of my favorite Eastern places is Allen & Son, on 86 between Hillsborough and that town south of Hillsborough with the light blue fire trucks. They still cut their own Hickory wood.

Of course, Skylight Inn in Ayden (as someone mentioned above) is legendary, but I've never had a chance to make it down there. Someone also mentioned Bridges in Shelby, which are very well known, and you may want to check out Audie's in Cherryville, BBQ King in Lincolnton, Woodlands in Banner Elk, or 12 Bones in Asheville for something Western but not too Lexington, although the Honey Monk and many other places in and around Lexington are very good (especially the slaw). If you like clogging (the dance, not the effect on your arteries), check out Sims between Hickory and Lenoir.

This is a reply to Zeb's post above entitled "Bullocks?"

I don't know that I'm a true aficianado, but I've always liked Bullocks. The only problem is that they don't cook with hardwood coals, but over gas. Allen & Son in Chappaheeya, Stamey's (Lexington style) in Greensboro, Wilbur's in Goldsboro and Skylight Inn in Ayden all cook with hardwood coals, and appear consistently on lists of favored 'cue joints. Bullock's is a great 'cue experience though - great sides (especially the Brunswick stew!).

This guy puts Bullocks at the top, ahead of the places mentioned above (hey, everybody has an opinion). I agree wtih this guy about B's Barbecue in Greenville - it's great stuff, even though it's cooked on a gas pit.
    Last edited by Johnboy; 09-13-2007 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Clarify that this is a reply to Zeb above

Thumbs down 1/2*

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    I never took advantage of my four years in Durham to really seek out great local cuisine. I went to Bullock's a fair amount and thought it was damn good, but I rarely see it mentioned in these threads.

For the true afficianados: Where does Bullock's rank in terms of quality (e.g. how many stars on a 5 star scale)?
    "Back in the day" Bullock's was ok, but in the last few years I have tried to talk friends out of eating there when visiting Derm. I have been very disappointed with both the Q and the fried chicken, their two staples, on "forced" visits with friends who didn't believe me how bad it had gotten.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Bullock's

In light of Ozzie's post, I myust say that I haven't eaten at Bullock's for a few (maybe more than a few) years.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    In light of Ozzie's post, I myust say that I haven't eaten at Bullock's for a few (maybe more than a few) years.
    So where does one go to get BBQ in Durham? When I visit, the only alternative I'm aware of is that place on Guess Road by the Pizza Hut.

As low as you might rank it, it's still light years ahead of imitation NC-style BBQ joints that we have here in Atlanta.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    So where does one go to get BBQ in Durham? When I visit, the only alternative I'm aware of is that place on Guess Road by the Pizza Hut.

As low as you might rank it, it's still light years ahead of imitation NC-style BBQ joints that we have here in Atlanta.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I have mentioned this place before: "Ole NC Bar-B-Que at the south end of North Duke Mall (between N. Duke St. & Roxboro Rd. - North of the Hospital). Faye and Chester Heath (both life long Duke fans) cook and chop their own Q on site; have menu service or a buffet; have all the accouterments for a good Q restaurant and also serve unsweetened tea if you ask. They used to a large catering business as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    At least you have imitation NC-style BBQ joints.

All we have are imitation BBQ joints, period. They wouldn't know a regional style if it walked up and covered them in sweet, tomato-based sauce.

Carroll Youngkin had 829 rebounds!

DevilAlumna has as many posts as Carroll Youngkin had rebounds. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    At least you have imitation NC-style BBQ joints.

All we have are imitation BBQ joints, period. They wouldn't know a regional style if it walked up and covered them in sweet, tomato-based sauce.
    True.

I still can't get used to ordering arguably vinegar-based, pork bbq, but then have the server bring an assortment of tomato-based sauces.

What's up with that?

If I ask for a sandwich w/slaw, the slaw goes on the side???

Huh??
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

In Ft. Lauderdale we have Dixie Pig on Dixie Hwy - south of Commercial. Stopped there today and picked up some Q & Slaw - and will add the Texas Pete at home. It is a pretty good NC style Q.