10 12.35%
  • Vinegar Base

51 62.96%
  • Tomato Base

22 27.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke vs. Kentucky

Being a southerner I love Bar-Bee-Q. Now, when I say Bar-Bee-Q I don’t mean grilling hamburgers and hotdogs…that is not Bar-Bee-Q. I’m talking about pork or beef Bar-Bee-Q slow cooked and served with either a tomato or vinegar sauce.

So, here is my question. What is your Favorite type of Bar-Bee-Q…pork or beef, and do you prefer a vinegar base or tomato base?
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 09-06-2007 at 09:20 PM.

The choices in the poll don't necessarily contradict each other. They're not mutually exclusive.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    The choices in the poll don't necessarily contradict each other. They're not mutually exclusive.
    Not really. People have stong feelings about BBQ. Some will only eat vinegar base and some swear that if it isn't tomato base it isn't BBQ. NC is split down the middle with Eastern NC eating vinegar and western eating tomato. As a Georgia boy i grew up with tomato base.

For a southerner BBQ is a major deal.
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 09-06-2007 at 10:44 PM.

I voted for pork and tomato base. IIRC the NC type is vinegar base and it's OK, but a little strong for my taste. I like the sweet smokey sauce - don't know where that comes from. KC or Memphis?

I once went to a real pig pickin' in rural NC. Half of a pig, sliced lengthwise down the middle, cooking all day on one of those barrel shaped BBQ cookers. Wow was that good - even with vinegar based sauce. Sorry if that sounds barbaric but it's the circle of life!

This is easy. Go to any of about a half dozen places in the Texas hill country and you'll get the best pork chop, pork ribs, brisket and smoked sausage you've ever had.

If you can only go to one, though, go to Cooper's in Llano, Texas with Moeller's in Taylor Texas coming in close second.

I enjoy the NC Barbecue and all, but it's a one trick pony (pulled pork). I'll take the whole chop and a few ribs on the side, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Please refer to 16A in your DBR Handy Pocket Reference guide.

And what does one drink with BBQ?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    ...Texas...
    You had me at Texas

P.S. going to Houston tomorrow to visit my aunt (actually midnight tonight, get there around 6am), totally psyched, woot!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Please refer to 16A in your DBR Handy Pocket Reference guide.

And what does one drink with BBQ?
    Why, Swayt Tay of course!

None better than that found in McMinnville's in Daleville, Alabama!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Why, Swayt Tay of course!

None better than that found in McMinnville's in Daleville, Alabama!
    Vinager based with sides of Brusnwick Stew and FF and sweet tea or cheerwine.

Great poll Bluedawg! I voted pork, vinegar based. It has long been a tradition of EarlJam to have the following as my first NCAA March Madness Tournament meal:

1 plate of: Pork BBQ, with fries, hush puppies, cole slaw and baked beans.

Awesome.

They are two totally different foods. Tomato based B-B-Q is probably my favorite food and eat it all the time, but every time I go back to Durham for a game I always stop and get some Carolina barbeque and Brunswick stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    They are two totally different foods. Tomato based B-B-Q is probably my favorite food and eat it all the time, but every time I go back to Durham for a game I always stop and get some Carolina barbeque and Brunswick stew.
    Brunswick stew is the stew of the gods. It's perfect. God how I love Brunswick stew! Always best to have it homemade, but have you tried Mrs. Fenwick's (sp) Brunswick stew - in the yellow can at the grocery store?

Good stuff. No. GREAT stuff!

I'm hungry.

-EarlJam

Dan River Boy Scouts brand...yum

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Brunswick stew is the stew of the gods. It's perfect. God how I love Brunswick stew! Always best to have it homemade, but have you tried Mrs. Fenwick's (sp) Brunswick stew - in the yellow can at the grocery store?

Good stuff. No. GREAT stuff!

I'm hungry.

-EarlJam
    I assume that this brand follows government guidelines for content of rat and squirrel?

Best ribs ever: Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa, Alabama when my wife was in law school there.

Best chopped BBQ: either of the Bridges BBQ (Red or Alston) in Shelby, N.C.

**mmmmmmmmmm **

Wrong title, wrong board.

<old coot> Back in my day, this thread would have been named "Duke v. Kentucky" and it would have been ON-topic. </old coot>

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    <old coot> Back in my day, this thread would have been named "Duke v. Kentucky" and it would have been ON-topic. </old coot>
    I was thinking the same thing. What is the world coming to when a thread on DBR about smoked meat products is titled anything other than Duke vs. Kentucky? How can it be featured anywhere other than the on-topic board? I think we are seeing the demise of DBR. This is a moral failing of the highest order on the part of the moderators. I had always been under the impression that threads about BBQ were always to be titled Duke vs. Kentucky and were always on-topic. The next thing you know people will start cheering for UNC.

It makes me sad. This is worse than Elvis' death. I think I am going to be sick.

Sorry. Asleep at the wheel. World order has been restored.

-jk

post withdrawn due to wisdom of moderators
    Last edited by allenmurray; 09-07-2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: correction already made

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    This is easy. Go to any of about a half dozen places in the Texas hill country and you'll get the best pork chop, pork ribs, brisket and smoked sausage you've ever had.

If you can only go to one, though, go to Cooper's in Llano, Texas with Moeller's in Taylor Texas coming in close second.

I enjoy the NC Barbecue and all, but it's a one trick pony (pulled pork). I'll take the whole chop and a few ribs on the side, thank you.
    Amen and amen! I haven't had Coopers or Moeller's, but my two favorite joints are Angelo's in Ft. Worth (best pork ribs I've ever had) and Kreuz Market in Lockhart (best brisket).

I should have added that I was disappointed in Sonny Bryan's (Dallas) which was fine, but not worth half the hype.