View Poll Results: Favorite type of Bar-Bee-Q

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pork

    64 79.01%
  • Beef

    10 12.35%
  • Vinegar Base

    51 62.96%
  • Tomato Base

    22 27.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown

    Duke vs. Kentucky

    Being a southerner I love Bar-Bee-Q. Now, when I say Bar-Bee-Q I don’t mean grilling hamburgers and hotdogs…that is not Bar-Bee-Q. I’m talking about pork or beef Bar-Bee-Q slow cooked and served with either a tomato or vinegar sauce.

    So, here is my question. What is your Favorite type of Bar-Bee-Q…pork or beef, and do you prefer a vinegar base or tomato base?
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 09-06-2007 at 09:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    The choices in the poll don't necessarily contradict each other. They're not mutually exclusive.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    The choices in the poll don't necessarily contradict each other. They're not mutually exclusive.
    Not really. People have stong feelings about BBQ. Some will only eat vinegar base and some swear that if it isn't tomato base it isn't BBQ. NC is split down the middle with Eastern NC eating vinegar and western eating tomato. As a Georgia boy i grew up with tomato base.

    For a southerner BBQ is a major deal.
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 09-06-2007 at 10:44 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    I voted for pork and tomato base. IIRC the NC type is vinegar base and it's OK, but a little strong for my taste. I like the sweet smokey sauce - don't know where that comes from. KC or Memphis?

    I once went to a real pig pickin' in rural NC. Half of a pig, sliced lengthwise down the middle, cooking all day on one of those barrel shaped BBQ cookers. Wow was that good - even with vinegar based sauce. Sorry if that sounds barbaric but it's the circle of life!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    This is easy. Go to any of about a half dozen places in the Texas hill country and you'll get the best pork chop, pork ribs, brisket and smoked sausage you've ever had.

    If you can only go to one, though, go to Cooper's in Llano, Texas with Moeller's in Taylor Texas coming in close second.

    I enjoy the NC Barbecue and all, but it's a one trick pony (pulled pork). I'll take the whole chop and a few ribs on the side, thank you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    The choices in the poll don't necessarily contradict each other. They're not mutually exclusive.
    Please refer to 16A in your DBR Handy Pocket Reference guide.

    And what does one drink with BBQ?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ← Bay / Valley ↓
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    ...Texas...
    You had me at Texas

    P.S. going to Houston tomorrow to visit my aunt (actually midnight tonight, get there around 6am), totally psyched, woot!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Please refer to 16A in your DBR Handy Pocket Reference guide.

    And what does one drink with BBQ?
    Why, Swayt Tay of course!

    None better than that found in McMinnville's in Daleville, Alabama!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Why, Swayt Tay of course!

    None better than that found in McMinnville's in Daleville, Alabama!
    Vinager based with sides of Brusnwick Stew and FF and sweet tea or cheerwine.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
    Great poll Bluedawg! I voted pork, vinegar based. It has long been a tradition of EarlJam to have the following as my first NCAA March Madness Tournament meal:

    1 plate of: Pork BBQ, with fries, hush puppies, cole slaw and baked beans.

    Awesome.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Winter Park FL
    They are two totally different foods. Tomato based B-B-Q is probably my favorite food and eat it all the time, but every time I go back to Durham for a game I always stop and get some Carolina barbeque and Brunswick stew.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    They are two totally different foods. Tomato based B-B-Q is probably my favorite food and eat it all the time, but every time I go back to Durham for a game I always stop and get some Carolina barbeque and Brunswick stew.
    Brunswick stew is the stew of the gods. It's perfect. God how I love Brunswick stew! Always best to have it homemade, but have you tried Mrs. Fenwick's (sp) Brunswick stew - in the yellow can at the grocery store?

    Good stuff. No. GREAT stuff!

    I'm hungry.

    -EarlJam

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lompoc, West Carolina

    Dan River Boy Scouts brand...yum

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Brunswick stew is the stew of the gods. It's perfect. God how I love Brunswick stew! Always best to have it homemade, but have you tried Mrs. Fenwick's (sp) Brunswick stew - in the yellow can at the grocery store?

    Good stuff. No. GREAT stuff!

    I'm hungry.

    -EarlJam
    I assume that this brand follows government guidelines for content of rat and squirrel?

  14. #14
    Best ribs ever: Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa, Alabama when my wife was in law school there.

    Best chopped BBQ: either of the Bridges BBQ (Red or Alston) in Shelby, N.C.

    **mmmmmmmmmm **

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, North Carolina

    Wrong title, wrong board.

    <old coot> Back in my day, this thread would have been named "Duke v. Kentucky" and it would have been ON-topic. </old coot>

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    <old coot> Back in my day, this thread would have been named "Duke v. Kentucky" and it would have been ON-topic. </old coot>
    I was thinking the same thing. What is the world coming to when a thread on DBR about smoked meat products is titled anything other than Duke vs. Kentucky? How can it be featured anywhere other than the on-topic board? I think we are seeing the demise of DBR. This is a moral failing of the highest order on the part of the moderators. I had always been under the impression that threads about BBQ were always to be titled Duke vs. Kentucky and were always on-topic. The next thing you know people will start cheering for UNC.

    It makes me sad. This is worse than Elvis' death. I think I am going to be sick.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Sorry. Asleep at the wheel. World order has been restored.

    -jk

  18. #18
    post withdrawn due to wisdom of moderators
    Last edited by allenmurray; 09-07-2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: correction already made

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    This is easy. Go to any of about a half dozen places in the Texas hill country and you'll get the best pork chop, pork ribs, brisket and smoked sausage you've ever had.

    If you can only go to one, though, go to Cooper's in Llano, Texas with Moeller's in Taylor Texas coming in close second.

    I enjoy the NC Barbecue and all, but it's a one trick pony (pulled pork). I'll take the whole chop and a few ribs on the side, thank you.
    Amen and amen! I haven't had Coopers or Moeller's, but my two favorite joints are Angelo's in Ft. Worth (best pork ribs I've ever had) and Kreuz Market in Lockhart (best brisket).

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    I should have added that I was disappointed in Sonny Bryan's (Dallas) which was fine, but not worth half the hype.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke vs Kentucky
    By Jarhead in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 386
    Last Post: 07-16-2014, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •