Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Well, I do think there was a danger at halftime.

UNC dug out of a huge early deficit to be down only 3 when all season they have been a much better 2nd half team.

And playing in close 2nd halves isn't exactly our specialty this year.

Having said that, we won because our overall offensive intensity knocked them back in the 2nd half.

By the time UNC recovered, with the help of Stall Ball, it was too little, too late.
    I don't think UNC led the entire game, did they? I was never concerned...

Was going to take a midnight stroll over to IC, but alas, IC is under a scheduled maintenance.

No meltdown watching for me tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You are the embodiment of the not-so-old saying, "Every silver lining has a dark gray cloud."
    I am THRILLED we won tonight and beat our most hated rival. But I am bummed that we were still bad on D and shaky against the press and made dumb fouls when the game was essentially over. That's all I am saying. I am sorry I seem to be bumming some people out with my realistic view.

Don't let those pesky facts get in the way!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I am THRILLED we won tonight and beat our most hated rival. But I am bummed that we were still bad on D and shaky against the press and made dumb fouls when the game was essentially over. That's all I am saying. I am sorry I seem to be bumming some people out with my realistic view.

Buzz kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 4m
    Mike Krzyzewski also stated for the record that he doesn't color his hair. "That's a myth."
    67-year-old men do not have hair that is darker than it was when they were 40. He dyes it. No big deal. Everyone is due some degree of vanity.

34-20?!?

What happened on the boards? Wheat is certainly correct, McAdoo's foul trouble and Meeks' illness hurt. But I didn't really get a sense if Duke was rebounding well and with aggression, we were rebounding poorly, or what. Maybe you guys had better spacing on offense or got us out of position driving to the basket. I'm really not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    It was a big time effort on the boards, especially Parker.

Not having McAdoo on the court for extended minutes or a healthy Meeks hurt UNC there, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    ...and I liked the fact that even with Tony Romo in the house our regular season did not end with a loss!
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Cowboy QB Tony Romo on Sports Center, and raving about the experience of a game in Cameron and also Coach K; cool.
    Do I now root for Romo? Huge conflict for a Steeler fan ...

Great atmosphere for recruiting. Congrats to the Crazies ... well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    What happened on the boards? Wheat is certainly correct, McAdoo's foul trouble and Meeks' illness hurt. But I didn't really get a sense if Duke was rebounding well and with aggression, we were rebounding poorly, or what. Maybe you guys had better spacing on offense or got us out of position driving to the basket. I'm really not sure.
    Some of it was outworking UNC. Some was just the ball bouncing the right way. I'll take it!

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 4m
    Mike Krzyzewski also stated for the record that he doesn't color his hair. "That's a myth."
    So I guess there really is no silver lining

Support Comes in Strange Forms

Julius Hodge ‏@Follow24Hodge 1h
    And you guys thought I was REALLY rooting for UNC? C'monnnn! I've learned whomever I root for during this game loses. I made a choice! #duke

Facts like Duke won, Carolina never led at any moment of the game, Duke scored 90 points a mark that Carolina has not allowed all year, Duke had as many offensive rebounds as Carolina had defensive rebounds and it took you five minutes to write a post from the "realist" perspective after the win?

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 26m #Duke's Rodney Hood said he was tired of being around Durham and having people yell Carolina at him. Mentioned it happened at WalMart

Julius Hodge ‏@Follow24Hodge 1h
    And you guys thought I was REALLY rooting for UNC? C'monnnn! I've learned whomever I root for during this game loses. I made a choice! #duke
    As I said in chat... UNC-Duke is the only time State fans cheer for Duke. It's also the only time they make and rational decisions...

Umm..because we had to shoot 60% from 3 in the 2nd half in order to win. Without the multiple threes in the second, that game would have been WAY tighter down the stretch.

Did we watch the same game?
    Apparently not. You are cherry-picking statistics to make the point that a 12-point win was truly a lucky performance. I don't agree. I thought Duke was the clearly superior team in both halves.

One key to the game was the 15 offensive rebounds by Duke versus only 14 defensive RBs by Carolina (ESPN stats).

Duke shot slightly below its season average for 3's and wa-a-a-a-y above the season average for 2's, 21 for 34 (62%).

I like our chances going forward if Jabari goes 30/11 in every game, but more realistically, he'll likely average 20/10 and we will need more offense from Quinn, Rasheed and Andre.

Kindly,
    Sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 26m #Duke's Rodney Hood said he was tired of being around Durham and having people yell Carolina at him. Mentioned it happened at WalMart
    At walmart? Not at all ironic...

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It's one of life's little truisms . . . Nothing good comes from shopping at Walmart.

"shaky against the press and made dumb fouls when the game was essentially over." Why would I worry about garbage time?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I want to back ChrisP - its a GREAT win. GREAT. I get his sentiment though. As a goal-oriented person I am thinking more than just beating UNC. We are just pointing out that Duke isnt perfect and we hope to see better D (this is my primary thing, as I don't want to count on 90 pts of O to get a win) and we ARE shaky vs the pressure... which is odd bc we are usually good vs moderate pressure.

Pressure D from our opponent and porous (to say the least) D on our part is exactly what cost us just a few nights ago vs a horrid Wake team - can t have that come and go every other game or the sweet sixteen is as far as we can go. The D has to be a little better and we need to handle pressure a little better (which Quinn did some tonight by calling timeouts etc). I want to win 90-70.. not 90-80...

Tonight we did well - handled pressure better and had some times of very good D (like the beginning of the game when it seemed we tipped every pass UNC threw ! )... and that got us a lead that we held. Just want even more of it. Now that I think back on it I do want to give kudos to those first 5 minutes or so of D in this game - outstanding ! That was old school Duke D where every entry pass was a challenge. I think UNC had 4 points or so after 5minutes of game.

Roy Williams: "Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it"

Best thing to ever come out of Roy's mouth. What a monster. He gets at least 15 shots a game from here on out. Shoot, give him 20.

Box score

Duke 93 -- UNC 81

Leslie McDonald in 30 minutes and McAdoo in 24 minutes both had 0 rebounds
    UNC shot 59.1% from the floor
    Duke 27-31 from the line