SkyDome - All up in it

Or the Rogers Centre anyway.

Leaving for Toronto a week from Tomorrow and staying at the Shereton downtown. Just wanted to ask those "in the know" here if you had any recommendations for places to visit.

I'll only be in for the weekend, with my older brother and don't want to miss any key spots downtown.

Do any former major leaguers have a sports bar there? Doesn't Wayne Gretzkey own a place?

Please advise. And yes, I could Google it but I really want the inside perspective. Thanks in advance!

-Earljam

Never been there...

...but was wondering if you were taking this potato cannon with you. Is this the contraption where several tin cans, with tops and bottoms removed, duct taped together end to end, a different "firing can" at one end ignited with cigarette lighter fluid, fires an object out the other end? As a kid, Spanky, Alfalfa and me would shoot oranges at each other.

We ate dinner at the top of a tower next to the sky dome. A game was being played at the time --cool looking down on the field as the game was going on. Be certain to tour the underground shopping area--real useful in the winter, but nice in the other seasons also. There are ususally two or three "broadway" productions being put on--check it out to see if you are interested--same day tix are available somewhere. We also took a walking tour of one of the older area of the city--I do not usually enjoy that type of thing, but this was nice. Have a safe trip.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    We ate dinner at the top of a tower next to the sky dome.
    That is the CN Tower, the world's tallest freestanding structure (at least until they finish that thing in the UAE).

A game was being played at the time --cool looking down on the field as the game was going on.
    Musta been tough to see what was going on 1,151 feet below you.

Be certain to tour the underground shopping area--real useful in the winter, but nice in the other seasons also.
    I've only been in there once or twice myself. The Eaton Centre is also good.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Or the Rogers Centre anyway.

Leaving for Toronto a week from Tomorrow and staying at the Shereton downtown. Just wanted to ask those "in the know" here if you had any recommendations for places to visit.

I'll only be in for the weekend, with my older brother and don't want to miss any key spots downtown.

Do any former major leaguers have a sports bar there? Doesn't Wayne Gretzkey own a place?

Please advise. And yes, I could Google it but I really want the inside perspective. Thanks in advance!

-Earljam

I'm obviously the most "in the know" person here so I'll try to help you out (although I must admit that, except for London England, I despise big cities so I only go into Toronto when I absolutely have to).

I did the written portion of my comps last Thursday and do my orals 14 hours from now so I can't give you any advice at the moment. I will, however, help you out later this weekend (after the hangover subsides). And yes, Gretzky owns a place just a couple of blocks from the Dome.

What kinds of things do you normally like to do?

The CN Tower was mentioned elsewhere in this thread (it is right next to the Dome and is connected to it by walkways) so here is a link to the website:

http://www.cntower.ca/portal/SmartDefault.aspx?ac=417
    Last edited by colchar; 09-06-2007 at 08:20 PM.

Have relations with your SO in Skydome in public view. It's like a tradition or something.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I didn't have the time to do the CN Tower when I was there a couple of weeks ago, but I wish I had.

I had the best salmon I've ever had in my life at a Cajun seafood place in Toronto in the theater district (is that what it's called?). If you're into seafood and you want to check it out, I'll look up the name of the place.

Other than that, I just did a lot of walking around the city, so not much to reccomend, other than catching a Jays game. The stadium is pretty cool.

ETA: Almost forgot another spot that's in downtown that I never got to but wish I had was the NHL hall of fame...

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Have relations with your SO in Skydome in public view. It's like a tradition or something.
    That it is. There is a hotel in the Dome that has rooms which overlook the field. People have been observed doing the nasty in some of these rooms during games.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I didn't have the time to do the CN Tower when I was there a couple of weeks ago, but I wish I had.

I had the best salmon I've ever had in my life at a Cajun seafood place in Toronto in the theater district (is that what it's called?). If you're into seafood and you want to check it out, I'll look up the name of the place.

Other than that, I just did a lot of walking around the city, so not much to reccomend, other than catching a Jays game. The stadium is pretty cool.

ETA: Almost forgot another spot that's in downtown that I never got to but wish I had was the NHL hall of fame...
    Yeah the NHL Hall of Fame is located at the bottom of Yonge Street (the main strip in Toronto) in an old bank building (a few minutes away from the Dome and not too far from your hotel). If you like hockey at all, it is definitely worth a visit.

Your hotel will also have all kinds of info in their lobby of things to do in T.O. Check out some of the pamphlets when you check in.

Also, I am not 100% certain at the moment but I am fairly sure I am free that weekend. If you're interested in consuming a couple of adult style beverages I could probably make the trip into the city (I have to go into Toronto at some point over the next 7-10 days anyway so I could kill two birds with one stone).

Could you also do Niagara Falls while up there?

Throaty, colchar: did they not tint the windows or something after one incident during a ball game?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Could you also do Niagara Falls while up there?
    Only if they rent a car.

Throaty, colchar: did they not tint the windows or something after one incident during a ball game?
    Can't remember hearing anything abuot that. They might have, but I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Also, I am not 100% certain at the moment but I am fairly sure I am free that weekend. If you're interested in consuming a couple of adult style beverages I could probably make the trip into the city (I have to go into Toronto at some point over the next 7-10 days anyway so I could kill two birds with one stone).
    Colchar, awesome! I'd love to hook up for an adult beverage or eight. I'll PM my cell phone number. Any chance you can make the game?

As far as "kill(ing) two birds with one stone" goes, Toronto is going to kill the birds of Baltimore. I'm an O's fan, but they are terrible. I just can't wait to see Roger's SkyDome Centre.

-EarlJam