Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jordan Betts has signed with the Red Sox and started with Lowell in the Short Season A Ball New York-Penn League.

I watched Marcus Stroman get the start against the Yankees last night.

It was his fourth start (he's in the rotation since the last week of May). Technically it was his worst start -- just 3.2 innings. It wasn't that bad -- he have up just two runs. But he threw 98 pitches before he was pulled two outs in the fourth. He got the loss for giving up a two-run homer to Brett Gardner (it hit the foul pole) and because the Blue Jays could almost nothing against Tanaka, who gave up one run (on the first pitch of the game!).

Stroman is now 3-2 ... he has a 3.80 ERA as a starter (overall, it's higher because of his early struggles as a reliever).

Drew Van Orden has reported to the Nationals' affiliate in the Gulf Coast Rookie League.

Robert Huber has been hit hard in a couple outings with the A's affiliate in the Arizona Rookie League.

Chris Capuano was recently DFA by the Red Sox, leaving Marcus Stroman as the sole representative. I might have to go back to claiming our transfers.

David Putman was promoted to High A Winston-Salem.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Chris Capuano was recently DFA by the Red Sox, leaving Marcus Stroman as the sole representative. I might have to go back to claiming our transfers.

David Putman was promoted to High A Winston-Salem.
    So what do you think the Red Sox next step is, wrt Capuano? I know he hasn't been a starter but thought he was still effective.

What's with Freiman? He had a decent year last year, and if the stats I see are correct, he's driven in something like 69 runs so far at Sacramento?
    I know the A's have a great team, but that's not good enough to get elevated?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    So what do you think the Red Sox next step is, wrt Capuano? I know he hasn't been a starter but thought he was still effective.
    My guess is that they will let him go see if he can find somewhere else to play. With the Red Sox still well out of the chase, they probably would rather not wait for a veteran to return to his start of season effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    What's with Freiman? He had a decent year last year, and if the stats I see are correct, he's driven in something like 69 runs so far at Sacramento?
    I think the A's wanted to give one last chance to Daric Barton to start the season. Barton was terrible and is now gone with the A's getting Kyle Blanks relatively cheaply. Nate actually did not start the minor league season that well then suddenly went on a tear and regained his power. I think they are happy to let him play every day in AAA until they need him. Blanks was just put on the DL, so who knows how soon that may come.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive, Nate was called up this morning to replaced the injured Josh Reddick.

Nate the great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive, Nate was called up this morning to replaced the injured Josh Reddick.
    And hits a 3-run bomb to put the A's up 4-1. Really rooting for Nate, hope they find enough at bats for him to stay in the bigs...

Nate actually did not start the minor league season that well then suddenly went on a tear and regained his power. I think they are happy to let him play every day in AAA until they need him. Blanks was just put on the DL, so who knows how soon that may come.
    Nate said in the post game interview that the hitting coaches in Sacramento have had him lower his hands and shorten his stroke. His (game-winning) HR today is a direct result of that change. The modification has improved both his average and his power, not to mention RBIs. He's also fielding his position better. Almost had a non-routine 3-6-3 DP today. His throw was on the money. A speedy hitter beat the return throw. Still, he got the lead runner.

With both Reddick and Blanks on the DL, Nate now has the opportunity to be a real major leaguer. Last year he was a Rule 5 roster player. Did well enough to keep, but not as well as others.

Drew Van Orden has moved up to Short Season A ball at Auburn in the New York-Penn League.

Chris Capuano signed a minor league deal with the Rockies and joined Greg Burke in Colorado Springs.

I am thinking about not updating transactions here anymore mostly because goduke.com has done a fantastic job with it so far this season.

Chris Capuano signed a minor league deal with the Rockies and joined Greg Burke in Colorado Springs.

I am thinking about not updating transactions here anymore mostly because goduke.com has done a fantastic job with it so far this season.
    Thanks for your updates. I haven't been on GoDuke in awhile, guess I'll need to go there from time to time.

Stroman

Marcus Stroman continues to have a fine rookie campaign for the Blue Jays. He is currently 5-2 with 7 quality starts in 9 attempts. He is on the hill right now facing the Red Sox and after 6 innings he appears to be in line for his 6th win.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Marcus Stroman continues to have a fine rookie campaign for the Blue Jays. He is currently 5-2 with 7 quality starts in 9 attempts. He is on the hill right now facing the Red Sox and after 6 innings he appears to be in line for his 6th win.
    In fact he gave up only a bloop single in the 7th inning for the Sox only hit against him....tremendous outing, he had a 94 mph fastball, wicked curve and great changeup going...second outing in a row with no runs in seven innings, 2.21 ERA now as a starter.

Chris Capuano was just purchased by the Yankees. No timetable for activation, but the Yanks are in desperate need of a left starter:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...ckies-for-cash

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Chris Capuano was just purchased by the Yankees. No timetable for activation, but the Yanks are in desperate need of a left starter:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...ckies-for-cash
    Just saw they're activating him and will start for Yanks in next few days!

Capuano to start for the Yankees today (Saturday) against Toronto in the Stadium (1 p.m.)

He's trying to extend an amazing streak -- The Yankees have beaten the Blue Jays 17 straight times in Yankee Stadium after Friday night's win. The last Toronto win in the Bronx came in August of 2012.

Here's hoping Chris can make it 18!

Not a bad debut for Capuano with the Yankees -- even if the Blue Jays did break their losing streak in the Bronx with a 6-4 win.

It wasn't his fault. The ex-Duke lefty recorded a quality start -- two runs on four hits in six innings. He left with the game tied at 2-all. Kelly gave up the go-ahead run in the seventh.

I'm sure that guarantees Capuano more starts with the Yankees. To soon to say he'll stick the entire season, but it looks good for now.

Nate Frieman was optioned back to Triple-A Sacramento as Callaspo returned from the DL.