Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dukies in Pro Baseball, 2014 edition

I think at some point I have to dust this
    topic
    off.

Our Duke players on 40 man rosters are in Spring Training. Chris Capuano and Alex Hassan are with the Red Sox and Nate Freiman and Danny Otero are with the A's.

On the non-roster invitees list, Greg Burke is with the Rockies, Marcus Stroman is with the Blue Jays, and Dennis O'Grady is with the Padres.

I think I got everyone, although sometimes getting the right list is harder than it looks.
    Last edited by -jk; 03-01-2014 at 05:06 AM. Reason: roll new season

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    I think at some point I have to dust this
    topic
    off.

Our Duke players on 40 man rosters are in Spring Training. Chris Capuano and Alex Hassan are with the Red Sox and Nate Freiman and Danny Otero are with the A's.

On the non-roster invitees list, Greg Burke is with the Rockies, Marcus Stroman is with the Blue Jays, and Dennis O'Grady is with the Padres.

I think I got everyone, although sometimes getting the right list is harder than it looks.
    Thanks for keeping up with this. Hopefully 4 or 5 will make the final rosters.

Looks like we only have Chris Capuano with the Red Sox and the three quarters of Danny Otero that I continue to cling on to for our Opening Day former Blue Devils.

Minor League assignments will come soon and I will update them as we get them.

Minor Leagues:

Greg Burke is at AAA Colorado Springs for the Rockies.
    Nate Freiman is at AAA Sacramento for the A's.
    Alex Hassan is at AAA Pawtucket for the Red Sox.
    Jake Lemmerman was a minor league Rule 5 pick by the Padres and is currently at AAA El Paso.
    Dennis O'Grady is at AA San Antonio for the Padres.
    Marcus Stroman is at AAA Buffalo for the Blue Jays.
    Will Piwnica-Worms is at High A Potomac for the Nationals.

I think I have everyone who has played a minor league game so far this season, but please let me know if I am missing somebody.

Jake Lemmerman is back down at AA San Antonio where he started the year. Ryan McCurdy started his season with the Astros' AAA team in Oklahoma City (not to be confused with the Astros themselves who may or may not resemble a AAA team).

Jake Lemmerman is back at AAA El Paso.
    Will Piwnica-Worms was at AAA Syracuse briefly without making an appearance but is back in Potomac.
    David Putman made his season debut at low A Kannapolis in the White Sox's organization.

Marcus Stroman was added to the Blue Jays' 40 man roster, called up, and given his Major League debut yesterday.

Recent moves include Dennis O'Grady being promoted to El Paso. Unfortunately, Jake Lemmerman made the opposite move a few days later back down to San Antonio.

The Blue Jays optioned Marcus Stroman back to Buffalo after he got rocked a couple of times. He will go back to starting there instead of relieving.

Jeff Kremer has returned to Rockford in the independent Frontier League.

Marcus Stroman got called up to make the start today and the Blue Jays decided to give him plenty of run support to make sure he got a win.

Also jumping to the majors this weekend was Alex Hassan as he made his debut on Sunday for the Red Sox. He has not been quite as good as last year in Pawtucket, but I suppose he can't do much worse than Nava has so far this season.

The MLB Draft continues with Rounds 3-10 tomorrow at 1:00pm EDT with Rounds 11-40 on Saturday at 1:00pm EDT. Coverage will be on mlb.com as we may start seeing Duke picks tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Marcus Stroman got called up to make the start today and the Blue Jays decided to give him plenty of run support to make sure he got a win.
    Stroman will get another start today against the Cardinals @ 7:00 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Stroman will get another start today against the Cardinals @ 7:00 pm.
    With the way my Cardinals are hitting, Stroman will probably pitch a shutout. GoDuke and GoRedbirds!

A couple of items:

Jake Lemmerman was promoted to AAA again so now there are two former Blue Devils in El Paso

Drew Van Orden was drafted in the 5th round by the Nationals today. As a senior, he will probably get stiffed on the signing bonus, but he will still get a nice chunk of change.

No signees were drafted today. That is a good sign for getting them on campus.

Stroman wins

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    With the way my Cardinals are hitting, Stroman will probably pitch a shutout. GoDuke and GoRedbirds!
    Almost, 6 innings, one run, 7 K's. 3-0 record for Marcus.

Jordan Betts was drafted in the 18th Round by the Red Sox.

Robert Huber was drafted in the 26th Round by the A's.

We also had some signees drafted today, so we will see what they decide.

How bad would it feel to work hard to play three or four years of college baseball only to find out that you were drafted after Johnny Manziel?

After being released by the Reds, Chris Manno was just signed by the Nationals and makes it two former Duke players at High A Potomac.

Marcus Stroman is currently pitching against Minnesota, on MLB Network.

The Red Sox sent Alex Hassan back to Pawtucket.