Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2014 ACC Player of the Year

While reading through the NC State/UNC game thread, I noticed some talk of Paige or Warren perhaps getting ACC Player of the Year. That got me to thinking, who do I think will win it?

I think that Fair and Ennis will split a lot of votes, removing either one from serious contention.

Erik Green proved last year that you can play on a terrible team and still win Player of the Year. How it wasn't Shane Larkin I will never fully understand (or Mason, but whatever, can't win em all).

Paige is averaging 17 and 4, which are pretty solid numbers, but not great considering the amount his team needs him to score.

I think Jabari is the front runner here. He is tops in the league in rebounding and second in scoring to Warren, and Jabari has tons of options around him. His defense is not great, and he turns the ball over too much, but he is easily the best player in the conference. Does that make him POY?

Will people not vote for him because he's a freshman with tons of hype? I don't think that will be the case, because he makes everyone money. When people see a story headline with the name Jabari Parker, they're going to read it.

I think the vote is probably between Warren and Jabari (mostly due to the fact that Ennis and Fair will really split some votes, and Rodney isn't really in contention right now, thought perhaps he should be), and I can't see the POY going to a low tier team for the second year in a row.

Obvious bias accepted, but I tried to be objective.

I want to say this been discussed here recently, but we could have a repeat of 2002, when an ACC player won most of the national POY awards but did not win ACC POY. Or could only tie ACC POY, as in 2001. (For the 3067980479093864th time, seriously, Joe Forte?)

Hard to believe that UVa might not have a single first-team player, but could (deservedly) win the regular season conference race (not Championship, I know).

Jabari and Hood may cause a split along the same lines suggested for Syracuse. Perhaps not as dramatically, but still.

Paige is not a bad bet, unfortunately.

For me only three guys are in contention (Parker, Fair, Warren). I think Warren deserves it most IMO but Air and Parker are putting in the heat. Outside of those 3 only Paige can sneak in and make some noise but I doubt he will make the upset.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    For me only three guys are in contention (Parker, Fair, Warren). I think Warren deserves it most IMO but Air and Parker are putting in the heat. Outside of those 3 only Paige can sneak in and make some noise but I doubt he will make the upset.
    What's the argument for Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Hard to believe that UVa might not have a single first-team player, but could (deservedly) win the regular season conference race (not Championship, I know).

Jabari and Hood may cause a split along the same lines suggested for Syracuse. Perhaps not as dramatically, but still.

Paige is not a bad bet, unfortunately.
    It just looks like Harris has way more help than anyone imagined that he would. Harris is a really good, solid player, but his PR came from the 36 points against Duke. His team is also more balanced offensively in terms of who can produce with Brogdon and the rest, so Harris doesn't have to be the primary scorer, and their pace of play is so slow that he doesn't have the chances others have to rack up numbers.

I just cannot believe that Paige will win this award, and I don't think Warren should because his team is no good. Is that his fault? No, but Erik Green shouldn't have won last year either. I'd be okay if Fair one, I guess, since it is probable that Cuse will finish higher in the standings than Duke and he was pre-season POY anyway. Writers may as well make themselves look good.

Warren 23.3 pts (1st); 7.1 boards (7th); .523 FGs (1st); 1.7 steals (5th)
    Parker 18.8 pts (2nd); 8.9 boards (1st); .479s FGs (3rd); 1.4 blocks (10th)
    Paige 16.9 pts (5th); .431 FGs (10); 4.6 assists (4); .899 FT% (1)
    Ennis 12 pts (N/A); 5.6 assists (1); 2.1 steals (1)

I did not include Fair because his stats looked more like Hood's or McAdoo's than like Parker's or Warren's.

Paige's numbers are not that exciting considering he is the #1 option. If you just want to pick the most outstanding #1 option, you'd pick Warren over Paige (6.4 more ppg). But Warren will suffer for playing on a .500 team and not being able to drag them to enough wins to make the tourney.

I think this comes down to Parker vs Ennis. Parker wins if Duke wins out and Fair takes a few votes away from Ennis. Ennis wins if Dukes loses to Carolina.

I am doubting that Parker wins, simply because it is easy/lazy for a writer to give Parker the Freshman of the Year and then give Player of the Year to whoever the competing choice in your mind is. Parker is already getting an award, so share the wealth.

Not saying it's right. Saying it is a cop-out rationalization that some will use.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am doubting that Parker wins, simply because it is easy/lazy for a writer to give Parker the Freshman of the Year and then give Player of the Year to whoever the competing choice in your mind is. Parker is already getting an award, so share the wealth.

Not saying it's right. Saying it is a cop-out rationalization that some will use.
    Under that reasoning, Ennis should not get strong consideration either. And I think they are the two biggest standouts in the conference this season.

Here's PER rankings for the guys under consideration -
    Warren #1, Parker 3, Paige 14, Ennis 15, Fair 35. KJ McDaniel is #2. Anyone care to bump him up into the top group?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    It just looks like Harris has way more help than anyone imagined that he would. Harris is a really good, solid player, but his PR came from the 36 points against Duke. His team is also more balanced offensively in terms of who can produce with Brogdon and the rest, so Harris doesn't have to be the primary scorer, and their pace of play is so slow that he doesn't have the chances others have to rack up numbers.

I just cannot believe that Paige will win this award, and I don't think Warren should because his team is no good. Is that his fault? No, but Erik Green shouldn't have won last year either. I'd be okay if Fair one, I guess, since it is probable that Cuse will finish higher in the standings than Duke and he was pre-season POY anyway. Writers may as well make themselves look good.
    Here's why my vote goes to Warren. He is in rarified air in a couple of categories and at least as of right now, State still has a chance to be a tourney team. They are no where near last year's Vatech team.

Warren is not only leading the league in scoring, he is leading the league in FG%. There are only two other players to ever accomplish that. One was Tim Duncan. Drawing a blank on the other at the moment. To accomplish that as a perimeter player is huge. In terms of number of 20 point an 30 point games at NC State he is now reaching numbers that only David Thompson and Rodney Monroe acheived. Plus he plays defense.

The 36 in the one point loss to the cheaters, and then the 41 point game in the win at Pitt last night seals it for me. Warren has earned it. No one on Duke, UVA. Cuse, deserves it more, and I have to give the nod to Warren over Paige due to consistency. Warren is just killing it.

With Syracuse faltering, Warren finally moved into the Pomeroy top 5, behind Parker, Brogdon, McDaniels, and Patterson. His system has a huge (IMO too large) team component--Green wasn't in his top 5 last year either.

By the way, for those who care, Parker is creeping up on McDermott...

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Warren is not only leading the league in scoring, he is leading the league in FG%. There are only two other players to ever accomplish that. One was Tim Duncan. Drawing a blank on the other at the moment.
    I believe the name you are looking for is Wake Forest's, Josh Howard. First unanimous ACC POY vote since David Thompson.

Also, you can't judge Paige's POY worth based on the UNC/State game. I don't know if you watched many of his games, but he can be quite inconsistent. That was his career best game, an example of his potential, but not his current reality.

The difference is that on a weekly basis, Warren pretty much plays as well as he did in that game. You may not see it since many of his games aren't televised, but he's consistently great right now. Warren also draws the other teams best defense and attention, unlike others on this list. For example, in the UNC game, he scored 36 points on 13-25 shooting against Tokoto, UNC's best defender.

What? SMH

I just can't get my head around this idea of Williams being COY and Paige being POY. This is what UNC does, they start off horrible in league play, then they finish up they way they were supposed to be to begin with and suddenly Williams has done some amazing Job, and Paige has led the way. Also extremely disappointed in front page article saying that Paige deserves it the most. Who makes that decision, do we actually think Duke would be the same team without Parker, or if State would have won more than 2 conference games without Warren. What I have seen of Piage is that when there is a decent but quick on ball defender he doesn't exactly blow up the stats, aka ND. I'm pretty sure if he had played the entire game against State and really wanted to Parker could have dropped 30 as well. But since we we beating them by 30, there wasn't really a need to push it, because everyone was scoring I am willing to wait until Sat to make a decision on whether or Not Paige is worthy of that honor. But if we beat UNC, we would be the only team to beat all 3 of the other top 4 teams in the league. That would be something worth considering. My thought is that the most consistent player over the year has to be CJ Fair, regardless of his teams slide, he has still continued to play well, dropping 28 last night. I don't know, not, trying to be rude or disagreeable but not of this talk about Paige happened until the State game. A game in which UNC barely survived against a team they beat handedly in Chapel hill. I just don't like taking a picture of one game and saying this is the player he is. Why not then take a pic of the ND game as well. He was almost non existent in that one, and almost coughed it up by missing his free throws.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    I just can't get my head around this idea of Williams being COY and Paige being POY. This is what UNC does, they start off horrible in league play, then they finish up they way they were supposed to be to begin with and suddenly Williams has done some amazing Job, and Paige has led the way.
    Great, isn't it?

Turn the tables around on their ACC season -- 12-0 start, 1-4 finish -- and there are multiple threads on Inside Carolina today calling for Roy to step down. Pretty amusing.

All in all, the Tar Heels have done exactly what they were expected to do. People point to how "challenged" this team was early in ACC play and how Roy had to go to the chalkboard to devise some magical new formula to compensate for his rag-tag bunch of unknown McDonald's All-Americans. But UNC's early-season wins over Louisville, Michigan State and Kentucky tell a different story. They were no flukes. UNC had the talent to beat those teams and they did, and all of those victories came before the 0-3 start in ACC play.

Carolina has certainly hit its stride of late, and at just the right time. Let's not pretend, however, that it required some monumental coaching job in order to make it happen. The talent has been there all long. It just took the coaching staff an unusual amount of time to make it work.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I believe the name you are looking for is Wake Forest's, Josh Howard. First unanimous ACC POY vote since David Thompson.
    I was wrong. It's Horace Grant is the other player besides Tim Duncan and TJ Warren to lead the ACC in FG% and Scoring.

My final picks:

1st team:

Brogdon
    McDaniels
    Paige
    Parker (Rookie of the year)
    Warren (Player of the year)

2nd team:

Brown (is there an award for most improved player? It would be him--anyone figure Miami would almost outscore its opponents in conference play this year?)
    Ennis
    Harris
    Hood
    Patterson

3rd team:

Fair
    Hanlan
    Miller
    Mitchell (Defensive player of the year)
    Wells

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    My final picks:

1st team:

Brogdon
    McDaniels
    Paige
    Parker (Rookie of the year)
    Warren (Player of the year)

2nd team:

Brown (is there an award for most improved player? It would be him--anyone figure Miami would almost outscore its opponents in conference play this year?)
    Ennis
    Harris
    Hood
    Patterson

3rd team:

Fair
    Hanlan
    Miller
    Mitchell (Defensive player of the year)
    Wells
    Swap Fair and Harris and I'd go with these, though I think Grant could be in there somewhere.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Agree that Warren slammed the door shut tonight. I think it will be well deserved. Like I said earlier, leading the lead in scoring and FG% from the wing position is an incredible feat.

My top 5
    Warren
    Jabari
    Paige
    Fair
    KJ McDaniels

My All-ACC teams:

1st Team:
    Warren (Player of the Year)
    Parker (Freshman of the Year)
    Paige
    Brogdon