Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Parker named ACC Rookie of the Week, part four

Portions of ACC press release.

"Florida State's Aaron Thomas has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Week, while Duke's Jabari Parker has been honored as the ACC Rookie of the Week for the fourth time this season. . . .

The Blue Devils’ Parker averaged 22.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game in leading No. 8 Duke to wins over Gardner-Webb and No. 22 UCLA. The freshman out of Chicago shot 56.0 percent (14-of-25) from the field, including 5-of-10 from 3-point range, while making all 11 free throws as the Blue Devils improved to 9-2 on the year. In the win over Gardner-Webb, Parker tallied 21 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the field and 6-of-6 from the free throw line. He also added six rebounds and a steal in 26 minutes of action.

Parker capped off the week with an impressive all-around performance in an 80-63 win over UCLA. He recorded his ninth 20-point game and his third double-double of the season, finishing with a game-high 23 points, 10 rebounds and five assists. Parker went 7-of-13 from the floor, including 4-of-8 from 3-point range, and 5-of-5 from the foul line in the win."

Just another day at the office...

Who's Jabari Parker?

I think the question for the rest of the season is -- "Who won the Parker this week?"

Congratulations, we know a lot of hard work goes in to your performances. They look effortless because you put the work in before hitting the floor.

Ho hum.

My question

What does he have to do to be the ACC Player of the Week?

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Yeah, who the hell votes on these things? How is this kid the front runner for national player of the year and not win a conference player of the week yet?

Every game, I have the same reaction to Jabari. We get to near halftime, or early 2nd half, and I think "man, Jabari hasn't scored much yet." Then I check his actual score and realize he's already dropped 19. He is just so in control that he never even looks like he's trying too hard (not in a bad way).
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Yeah, who the hell votes on these things? How is this kid the front runner for national player of the year and not win a conference player of the week yet?
    The same people that gave you Joe Forte, co-ACC Player of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    Every game, I have the same reaction to Jabari. We get to near halftime, or early 2nd half, and I think "man, Jabari hasn't scored much yet." Then I check his actual score and realize he's already dropped 19. He is just so in control that he never even looks like he's trying too hard (not in a bad way).
    I think it seems that way because he doesn't take over the offense and score in bunches. QC spreads it around so JP can avoid the constant double and triple team.

We have other options and I think K wants to avoid the team standing around and watching JP.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Great, let's fire all the voters! And send those UNC-trained headline writers back to hell! First, I should mention Jabari Parker was named co-Player of the Week back on November 18.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail...1-18-13_63otb4

But hey, don't let a little fact-checking get in the way of your righteous anger.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Great, let's fire all the voters! And send those UNC-trained headline writers back to hell! First, I should mention Jabari Parker was named co-Player of the Week back on November 18.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail...1-18-13_63otb4

But hey, don't let a little fact-checking get in the way of your righteous anger.
    Brevity, this appears to be the perfect moment to bring a post I wrote elsewhere into this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Listen, if you continue to refuse to acknowledge anti-Duke conspiracies and, worse still, present objective analysis and facts to prove the anti-Duke conspiracy theories wrong then I am going to be forced to revoke your DBR fan card.

I look forward to your acceptance of the reality of the GADA* in the future. Thanks for your support.

-Jason "GADA = Global Anti-Duke Alliance, Jay Bilas Founding member" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    The same people that gave you Joe Forte, co-ACC Player of the Year.
    Over the years, this has become a template for the alleged pro-UNC bias of the voters. But we view the Battier-Forte tie through the prism of what happened afterwards, Battier leading Duke to an NCAA title, Carolina out early, Forte being a spectacular NBA flameout.

But none of that is relevant to the actual voting, which took place at the conclusion of the regular season. At that time Duke and Carolina had shared the ACC regular season crown, at 13-3. The teams split their two regular-season games, each winning on the road. Forte was second in the ACC in scoring, at around 21 ppg.

Two other things complicate this voting. Duke beat Carolina in Chapel Hill on Sunday afternoon. The votes were due in a few hours later. But this was after Boozer's broken foot and many--including some on this board--assumed that Carolina would win that game and win the regular-season title by two games. I know at least one voter who was traveling Sunday and cast his vote on Saturday, under that assumption. Could there have been others?

Then there's Jason Williams. Battier and Forte each had 32 votes, Williams had eight. Had any of the eight people who voted for Williams voted for Battier, well, you can do the math.

But my larger point is that this vote should be viewed in terms of what the voters knew at the time. At the time, a vote for Forte was a credible one.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Over the years, this has become a template for the alleged pro-UNC bias of the voters. But we view the Battier-Forte tie through the prism of what happened...
    Like when this happened?

a2da15c6e187a10f7cdd0d90b3e6c346.jpg

"Facts are simple and facts are straight
    Facts are lazy and facts are late
    Facts all come with points of view
    Facts don't do what I want them to
    Facts just twist the truth around
    Facts are living turned inside out
    Facts are getting the best of them
    Facts are nothing on the face of things
    Facts don't stain the furniture
    Facts go out and slam the door
    Facts are written all over your face
    Facts continue to change their shape'

-- Talking Heads, Cross-Eyed and Painless

(I actually had a law professor quote the third and fourth line -- coolest prof. ever)

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Over the years, this has become a template for the alleged pro-UNC bias of the voters. But we view the Battier-Forte tie through the prism of what happened afterwards, Battier leading Duke to an NCAA title, Carolina out early, Forte being a spectacular NBA flameout.

But none of that is relevant to the actual voting, which took place at the conclusion of the regular season. At that time Duke and Carolina had shared the ACC regular season crown, at 13-3. The teams split their two regular-season games, each winning on the road. Forte was second in the ACC in scoring, at around 21 ppg.

Two other things complicate this voting. Duke beat Carolina in Chapel Hill on Sunday afternoon. The votes were due in a few hours later. But this was after Boozer's broken foot and many--including some on this board--assumed that Carolina would win that game and win the regular-season title by two games. I know at least one voter who was traveling Sunday and cast his vote on Saturday, under that assumption. Could there have been others?

Then there's Jason Williams. Battier and Forte each had 32 votes, Williams had eight. Had any of the eight people who voted for Williams voted for Battier, well, you can do the math.

But my larger point is that this vote should be viewed in terms of what the voters knew at the time. At the time, a vote for Forte was a credible one.
    While Jim's post is at an acute angle to the main thread, I would like to nudge it a few more degrees towards obtuseness. (Heck, I am supposed to know math, and I have no idea what that means.)

Because of the UNC journalism school, NC voters may be UNC-centric. A bigger problem is that voters are definitely state of North Carolina centric. I have seen articles (can't find them now) that show that about 40 percent of the voters are from the state of NC. And this is advantageous to the Big Four and neighboring schools in voting for player awards because the voters have seem them play. If it remains this distorted with the addition of Pitt, Syracuse, ND and Louisville, then the farflung schools, such as BC, Miami and the aforementioned (excluding probably Notre Dame) will have a hard time getting votes.

sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    While Jim's post is at an acute angle to the main thread, I would like to nudge it a few more degrees towards obtuseness. (Heck, I am supposed to know math, and I have no idea what that means.)

Because of the UNC journalism school, NC voters may be UNC-centric. A bigger problem is that voters are definitely state of North Carolina centric. I have seen articles (can't find them now) that show that about 40 percent of the voters are from the state of NC. And this is advantageous to the Big Four and neighboring schools in voting for player awards because the voters have seem them play. If it remains this distorted with the addition of Pitt, Syracuse, ND and Louisville, then the farflung schools, such as BC, Miami and the aforementioned (excluding probably Notre Dame) will have a hard time getting votes.

sage
    Wait, you forgot maryland. Oh, never mind.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

sage
    not sure that has anything to do with the geographic location of the voters
    1200. DDMF.

sage
    Gee, if only there was a way to watch ACC basketball without actually being in the house.

Actually, this is an interesting point. Even if one never left his/her home state, people used to have a chance to see out-of-state teams in person on a regular basis.

But that is no longer the case. A team might go an entire season without visiting the Triangle.

Eventually, you just have to trust the integrity and competence of the voters. The folks I know take their responsibilities seriously.

As an aside, the most controversial voting in ACC history worked against a UNC star. I'm referring of course to John Roche twice edging Charlie Scott for ACC POY, amidst charges of racism.

As an aside, part two, a Big Four player once won all the major NATIONAL POY awards, while losing the ACC POY race to a non-Big Four player. Which argues against an NC bias. Of course, that was back in the days of the double round-robin.

If you don't want to test your memory bank, I'm referring to Jason Williams and Juan Dixon, in 2002. In 1986 Johnny Dawkins won one of the NPOY awards, while Len Bias was ACC POY.

Back to the weekly awards. They are not decided by the full voting membership but rather a smaller, select panel, chosen because of their diligence and expertise. It's a secret society. Special decoder ring and all.

Or so I'm told.

If it remains this distorted with the addition of Pitt, Syracuse, ND and Louisville, then the farflung schools, such as BC, Miami and the aforementioned (excluding probably Notre Dame) will have a hard time getting votes.
    And yet, in the very first voting containing most of those teams, a Syracuse player was voted pre-season ACC POY.