Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    That shirt is missing something:

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    Could someone please print this up as a T-shirt or Jersey?
    9 Attachment 3964

As a jersey, I certainly would have to wear something (Duke Blue) under it, but a Carolina jersey with "F" as the number and "No Class" for the name on the back might sell pretty well leading up to the game next week. Probably sell pretty well to State fans at the Tourney in Greensboro as well!

Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Needle in a haystack

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Well the problem is, even if the NCAA forced them to vacate the 2005 and 2009 titles, they could always go to the Helms foundation for replacement banners.
    Do you think the NCAA could actually locate two championship banners for removal in that sea of "NIT"s and "Round of 32"s ???

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    the comments section is filled with (paid?) respondents who are apparently thoroughly coached in promoting the meme that M.W. is a "liar and a fraud" (without providing evidence of course), but the effort is pathetically transparent.

What was done to M.W. professionally, however, strikes me as an absolute gold-mine/slam dunk/(pick your metaphor) for an attorney specializing in employment matters. She is patiently going through the process but there's no doubt she will prevail. UNC will probably and ultimately settle with her, if she chooses to accept.

UNC's constant denial and lashing out at the inconvenient facts is breathtaking to me - not to mention how they're trumpeting all their claimed monumental reforms of a system they deny had much wrong with it at all. They keep finding new lows; they are utterly despicable.
    In the late 1980s when I was a kid in Georgia, there was a woman who whistle-blew on UGA for issues related to academic fraud related to the football team. The university stomped on her. When I have my weekly talk with my parents, I'll ask them her name. I'm sure my mother will remember.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

In the late 1980s when I was a kid in Georgia, there was a woman who whistle-blew on UGA for issues related to academic fraud related to the football team. The university stomped on her. When I have my weekly talk with my parents, I'll ask them her name. I'm sure my mother will remember.
    Jan Kemp?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDiva View Post
    Jan Kemp?
    Beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDiva View Post
    Jan Kemp?
    Yes, thank you, AND OMG, she's been dead for five years due to raucously early-onset Alzheimer's, per her Wiki. Like, dead by the age Pat Summitt got it.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And if they act now, it is buy 2, get 1 free!
    Just pay separate shipping and processing.

Yes, thank you, AND OMG, she's been dead for five years due to raucously early-onset Alzheimer's, per her Wiki. Like, dead by the age Pat Summitt got it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/us/nca...istle-blowers/

She was one of the earliest whistle blowers, there are several listed in this article. Funny you mentioned her, I had just came across this article today.

Jan Kemp - a sad story

Jan Kemp Dies at 59; Exposed Fraud in Grades of Players

While coordinator of Georgia’s remedial English program, Dr. Kemp was among several faculty members who had complained that officials at Georgia intervened in the fall of 1981 to enable nine football players to pass a remedial English course in which they had received failing grades.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/12/education/12kemp.html

The sordid details of UGA football in the 80s in this linked 1986 SI story. Following a federal district court trial, the jury awarded Ms. Kemp $2.5 million (reduced to $1 million) for her wrongful demotion and subsequent termination.

From an attorney for the defendants during trial

"We may not make a university student out of him, but if we can teach him to read and write, maybe he can work at the post office rather than as a garbage man when he gets through with his athletic career."

Testimony from the UGA president at the time

"We have to compete [with rival schools] on a level playing field." Referring to Georgia athletes, Davison also said: "If they leave us being able to read, write, communicate better, we simply have not done them any damage."
    http://www.sportsillustrated.com/vau...31/1/index.htm

“History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.” ― Mark Twain

Props to those who beat me to it while I was looking for links to Ms. Kemp

Of course, Georgia learned their lesson from the Jan Kemp academic scandal affair and set up a legitimate academic structure for athletes.

Oh wait. I'm sorry. I accidentally left a couple works out of that sentence. It should read:

Of course, Georgia never learned their lesson from the Jan Kemp academic scandal affair and failed to set up a legitimate academic structure for athletes.

There, that's better.

Anyone recall the Jim Harrick basketball academics scandal at UGA in the early 00s? Jim Harrick Jr taught Coaching Principles and Strategies of Basketball and everyone who enrolled was a member of his father's team. The course included one test. You can read all the questions here. I've always been intrigued by Harrick Jr's obsession with Duke on the test. He mentioned Cameron, Coach K, and Wojo. Seems sorta strange considering UGA would have had natural rivals in SEC schools that you would think Harrick and the players would have focused upon more than Duke, who they never played.

8. How many points does a three-point field goal account for in a Basketball Game?

11. What is the name of the exam which all high school seniors in the State of Georgia must pass?
    a. Eye Exam
    b. How Do The Grits Taste Exam
    c. Bug Control Exam
    d. Georgia Exit Exam

19. If you go on to become a huge coaching success, to whom will you tribute [sic ] the credit?
    a. Mike Krzyzewski
    b. Bobby Knight
    c. John Wooden
    d. Jim Harrick Jr.
    The irony of that last question is that Harrick Jr is clearly not teaching the kids in this class anything, making it highly unlikely any of them will go on to be a coaching success. I bet K, Knight, and Wooden could have taught a masters level class on motivation, strategy, and leadership that would be an incredible boost to a potential coaching career... or any other career.

-Jason "Harrick (the dad) was a scoundrel and a horrible person... but I am sorta surprised (and very pleased) that no one has been desperate enough to hire him again. The NCAA's show cause clause on him expired a couple years ago" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I can see it now, a revision to UNC talking points.

From: It's not a UNC athletics scandal, it's a UNC academic scandal
    To: It's not a UNC academic scandal, it's a challenge facing all colleges with sports programs. Because ... Georgia!!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I am not sure I can think of a worse article. How can the NCAA sit back and continue to do nothing? Shame... such shame" Evans
    The NCAA can't go after UNC without admitting that their defense in the O'Bannon case is weak. As I understand it their defense is that a scholarship and an education is fair compensation. As an athlete at UNC maybe you are not compensated by getting a scholarship and degree so you will need the NCAA to give you some money.

On second thought maybe the NCAA will have to punish UNC. If they can show that UNC is an outlier by punishing them they can still hold on to their defense strategy.

Could the NCAA just settle out of court?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    The NCAA can't go after UNC without admitting that their defense in the O'Bannon case is weak. As I understand it their defense is that a scholarship and an education is fair compensation. As an athlete at UNC maybe you are not compensated by getting a scholarship and degree so you will need the NCAA to give you some money.

On second thought maybe the NCAA will have to punish UNC. If they can show that UNC is an outlier by punishing them they can still hold on to their defense strategy.
    I would appreciate hearing the opinion of some of the legal experts on this board. I have thought that the NCAA might try to settle this suit with the plaintiffs, rather than risk going to court and having to defend the whole unc mess, plus similar problems from the past (i.e. the Georgia incidents, etc.)

Personally, I hope there is no settlement and that all this gets played out in court.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post

If the O'Bannon case actually goes to trial in June we may see how these issues play out - Ms. Willingham is on plaintiffs' witness list and the NCAA presumably will consider filing a motion in limine to exclude her testimony - the grounds for any such motion might make for some interesting reading

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    ... - Ms. Willingham is on plaintiffs' witness list and the NCAA presumably will consider filing a motion in limine to exclude her testimony - the grounds for any such motion might make for some interesting reading
    Grounds for the motion? Her testimony will be highly prejudicial!

If anyone hears her testimony, our client is doomed!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    If the O'Bannon case actually goes to trial in June we may see how these issues play out - Ms. Willingham is on plaintiffs' witness list and the NCAA presumably will consider filing a motion in limine to exclude her testimony - the grounds for any such motion might make for some interesting reading

I assume, among other grounds to be argued:

FRE 403 -- prejudice outweighs probative value -- even if UNC had a few sham classes, that does not defeat the argument that non-corrupt schools offer educations in exchange for scholarships. The fact that there is one bad apple cannot be smeared against the rest of the educational system, and UNC is simply an abhorrent example.

FRE 702 -- her study is not the result of a reliable application of sufficient facts through a reliable method (a/k/a "Daubert challenge," a/k/a "UNC Chancellor Defense") -- no one knows this, but any brief would have a lot of interesting tidbits.

FRE 401 -- lack of relevance to the certified class (the fact that Carolina helped student athletes get a degree through lowered standards is not a uniform condition across the class, thus admission of this evidence suggests a lack of commonality and typicality under FRCP 23).

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Of course, Georgia learned their lesson from the Jan Kemp academic scandal affair and set up a legitimate academic structure for athletes.

Oh wait. I'm sorry. I accidentally left a couple works out of that sentence. It should read:

Of course, Georgia never learned their lesson from the Jan Kemp academic scandal affair and failed to set up a legitimate academic structure for athletes.

There, that's better.

Anyone recall the Jim Harrick basketball academics scandal at UGA in the early 00s? Jim Harrick Jr taught Coaching Principles and Strategies of Basketball and everyone who enrolled was a member of his father's team. The course included one test. You can read all the questions here. I've always been intrigued by Harrick Jr's obsession with Duke on the test. He mentioned Cameron, Coach K, and Wojo. Seems sorta strange considering UGA would have had natural rivals in SEC schools that you would think Harrick and the players would have focused upon more than Duke, who they never played.

The irony of that last question is that Harrick Jr is clearly not teaching the kids in this class anything, making it highly unlikely any of them will go on to be a coaching success. I bet K, Knight, and Wooden could have taught a masters level class on motivation, strategy, and leadership that would be an incredible boost to a potential coaching career... or any other career.

-Jason "Harrick (the dad) was a scoundrel and a horrible person... but I am sorta surprised (and very pleased) that no one has been desperate enough to hire him again. The NCAA's show cause clause on him expired a couple years ago" Evans
    I just aced that test so Coach K should pay special attention to my DBR posts henceforth. I know how many quarters are in a game or anything for that matter. I can do halves too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ... FRE 403 -- prejudice outweighs probative value -- ...
    But your honor, you miss my point. It is too probative, and thus prejudicial

But your honor, you miss my point. It is too probative, and thus prejudicial
    Overruled. Judgment entered against Maryland for $50 million.