Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Virginia Tech Pre-Game & In-Game Thread (Tues/1900 EST/ESPNU)

We can't forget about the pending game with VPI. They may have struggled, but they had UVA on the ropes. Our guys will be coming off a crazy stretch of games ... need to keep our eye on the prize.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 02-24-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

One of those games that's way more about us than them. VPI is completely outmanned in this one. We just need to avoid a mental letdown after the last week.

I think K will play a little deeper bench in this one, maybe use the line change a time or two in the first half. We'd be foolish not to feed Jabari in the post repeatedly, as they have nothing close to an answer for him. I'd like to see Dawkins knock down a few shots, just to get him some positive minutes before the layoff.

We need to make this essentially a walk-over. VT is SO bad. We are better at every position on the floor. We are at home. We need to blow the doors off of them early and coast to an easy win.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    We can't forget about the pending game with VPI. They may have struggled, but they had UVA on the ropes.
    Yeah, I would say VaTech has shown a better level of play (for them) in 3 of the past 4 games. They took Pitt to 2OTs at Pitt, they beat Miami at home, and they lost by 4 to UVA. They've raised their KenPom ranking over the past 4 games from 220th to 183rd. Hey, every team runs their own race, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    One of those games that's way more about us than them.
    It would be all too human for our players, especially the young guys, to kind of take a deep breath and relax after a rough stretch of games, as much as the coaches will be on them not to do so. I hope Duke comes out like a fireball in this game, but I could also envision a bad 1st half happening. That's as far as it would go, though. Some yelling at halftime, and Duke should blow them out in the 2nd half under that scenario.

What I'll be looking for: fighting the urge to relax and therefore dominating from the tip, beating VaTech on the boards, and shooting well from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, I would say VaTech has shown a better level of play (for them) in 3 of the past 4 games.
    They took Pitt to 2OTs at Pitt
    , they beat Miami at home, and they lost by 4 to UVA. They've raised their KenPom ranking over the past 4 games from 220th to 183rd. Hey, every team runs their own race, right?

It would be all too human for our players, especially the young guys, to kind of take a deep breath and relax after a rough stretch of games, as much as the coaches will be on them not to do so. I hope Duke comes out like a fireball in this game, but I could also envision a bad 1st half happening. That's as far as it would go, though. Some yelling at halftime, and Duke should blow them out in the 2nd half under that scenario.

What I'll be looking for: fighting the urge to relax and therefore dominating from the tip, beating VaTech on the boards, and shooting well from outside.
    Man, does any team play to the level of their competition more than Pitt?

I know we've discussed the line change/rotation to death, but this would be a very good game to use it. Our energy level would be way up and the Crazies would be at the top of their game. They love Marshall and really root for our bench guys(not that they don't root our regular starters).As Matches stated, it's more about us than VT. I think Cdu said we're better at every position than them and I agree. The only way the game's close is if we let it be close. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I know we've discussed the line change/rotation to death, but this would be a very good game to use it. Our energy level would be way up and the Crazies would be at the top of their game. They love Marshall and really root for our bench guys(not that they don't root our regular starters).As Matches stated, it's more about us than VT. I think Cdu said we're better at every position than them and I agree. The only way the game's close is if we let it be close. GoDuke!
    Preach!

Quote Originally Posted by sduke1986 View Post
    Preach!
    Amen! And, thanks for serving. GoDuke and GoUSA!!!!

Wait, why would the team's energy level be up after 4 games in 10 days, with two tough games in the last 5 days? If anything, this is a trap game, especially given how bad VT is. Furthermore, like players, Cameron Crazies get burned out, especially after the energy exhausted during the 'Cuse game.

I agree that the bench should be used more for this game, but I think that's because of the reasons CDu provided: VT is bad (really bad), we're at home, VT is really bad, we're clicking on many cylinders, and VT is really really bad.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Wait, why would the team's energy level be up after 4 games in 10 days, with two tough games in the last 5 days? If anything, this is a trap game, especially given how bad VT is. Furthermore, like players, Cameron Crazies get burned out, especially after the energy exhausted during the 'Cuse game.

I agree that the bench should be used more for this game, but I think that's because of the reasons CDu provided: VT is bad (really bad), we're at home, VT is really bad, we're clicking on many cylinders, and VT is really really bad.
    My reasoning is that when we first began to use it, our bench guys came in and created some energy. But after thinking about this, I don't think it would be the same because Rasheed is starting with the first unit. Someone needs to be on the 2nd unit that can create offense. Yes, it could be a trap game but I hope our players and coaches wouldn't let that happen. Not with a lot riding on how we finish the season. I'd think fatigue would be more of a factor. Especially mental fatigue. As for the Crazies, how can a young 17-21 year old be tired, wish I was that age again. Been so long, I can't remember how it felt. GoDuke!

I'd like to see a crisp offensive showing in this game. Let's get some precise passes, good ball movement, and intelligent drives.

My main concern with this game is that security is on their toes in case Mr. Boeheim decides he wants to come try for another technical.

On a serious note, has anyone done any digging on his ability to grow a Zoubeard?

One more thing, actually. I want to see Amile have a good game. If he has a 3rd straight sub-par performance, I think I'm going to begin to get worried about him.

My reasoning is that when we first began to use it, our bench guys came in and created some energy. But after thinking about this, I don't think it would be the same because Rasheed is starting with the first unit. Someone needs to be on the 2nd unit that can create offense.
    Cook and Dawkins presumably would fill that role.

I think an early line change might be a nice antidote for any emotional letdown. It gets a few guys in who haven't been playing much, and they can come in and just go all-out for a few minutes. Energy is contagious, and if we do come out flat, the bench may be able to help us get cranked up.

Also - I think there's some value in getting Hairston and Jones a few minutes just to help keep them fresh. This may be our last chance to do so for some time. I'd hate to see a scenario where, for example, MP3 gets hurt during the NCAAT and we need minutes from Hairston, but he hasn't gotten any in a month.

One more thing, actually. I want to see Amile have a good game. If he has a 3rd straight sub-par performance, I think I'm going to begin to get worried about him.
    I agree it's a concern and I foul trouble has been one thing that's held AJ back. If we play the bench, that shouldn't be a problem against VT and let's get off to a very good start. GoDuke!

TO be fair - UNC Is a tough game for Amile to do well in. They can be huge with Meeks etc. And cuse is so long inside though the zone does allow for O rebounds. But the talent of the opposition has to factored in when looking at a Duke performance. I want to see more tough rebounds and more O from Amile. I love when he scored on Cuse. If he is a threat to score 8 pts Duke is a difft team. As someone said Duke stagnated when Plumlee caught the ball one time at the "ACC" and did nothing despite a wide open lane. Cuse played way off Plumlee - it was the old Lance Thomas thing.. 4 on 5 on offense. Plumlee and Amile (both who have improved so much) HAVE to be at least decent offensive threats for us. can not play 4 on 5 and win big games

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    TO be fair - UNC Is a tough game for Amile to do well in. They can be huge with Meeks etc. And cuse is so long inside though the zone does allow for O rebounds. But the talent of the opposition has to factored in when looking at a Duke performance. I want to see more tough rebounds and more O from Amile. I love when he scored on Cuse. If he is a threat to score 8 pts Duke is a difft team. As someone said Duke stagnated when Plumlee caught the ball one time at the "ACC" and did nothing despite a wide open lane. Cuse played way off Plumlee - it was the old Lance Thomas thing.. 4 on 5 on offense. Plumlee and Amile (both who have improved so much) HAVE to be at least decent offensive threats for us. can not play 4 on 5 and win big games
    And I liked it when Marshall took the ball to the basket for an attempted dunk, but was fouled. He even made one of the free throws. Amile and MPIII need to make the opponent play them honest but not with a foul line jumper. All though they have as much chance of hitting that shot as Josh does on his mid-range jumpers. Bless his soul. GoDuke!

I assume someone has pointed out that we have a full week off after tomorrow's VPI game.

I expect Coach to get all the key players some time and to try out different combos of players.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

P&R

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    I'd like to see a crisp offensive showing in this game. Let's get some precise passes, good ball movement, and intelligent drives.
    I'm hoping Plumlee has at least one P&R even if it doesn't go in.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Feet POF View Post
    I'm hoping Plumlee has at least one P&R even if it doesn't go in.
    P&R? Pass and rebound? Pound and rebound? Puke and Retch? I dunno? Little help? Ahh, maybe Pick & Roll.