Flag Raising on Iwo Jima - 23 February, 1945

On the 23rd of February, 1945, war correspondent Joe Rosenthal took this photo:

Simultaneously, Marine combat correspondent Sgt. Bill Genaust filmed a short motion picture, in Kodachrome. He and Rosenthal were standing next to one another. Here is a link to a bit of the history surrounding the flag raising.

Meant with all humble respect: that picture and moment was and is super cool, instills major pride and much gratitude.

Thanks jarhead!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

Simultaneously, Marine combat correspondent Sgt. Bill Genaust filmed a short motion picture, in Kodachrome. He and Rosenthal were standing next to one another. Here is a link to a bit of the history surrounding the flag raising.
    Semper Fi

As I sit here fat and happy on my couch 69 years later, I feel nothing but gratitude toward those men, and hundreds of thousands others like them, who have allowed me to, well, sit here fat and happy.

The book, Flags of our Fathers, by James Bradley, about the men in that picture, is both inspiring and heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

Thank you for this important reminder....

Thank you to all who have served and are serving. We owe you more than can ever be paid.