Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Caribbean Vacation

No, not a new Chevy Chase/ Beverly D'Angelo movie.

If you could go to the Caribbean in the July timeframe to celebrate a milestone anniversary, where would you go? Where would you stay, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

If you could go to the Caribbean in the July timeframe to celebrate a milestone anniversary, where would you go? Where would you stay, and why?
    I find the Caribbean very, very hot in July. You might consider another area.

Bigger worry than heat might be hurricanes - they wait until after vacation plans are set in stone. July's early in the season, but plan for hurricane-inclusive travel insurance.

If I remember my geography correctly, most islands have average July highs in the upper 80s - albeit with lots of humidity. Wherever you go in the tropics, the east side gets the trade winds - and the rain; the west side is hotter but drier. Pick your poison. The smaller the island, the better the sea breeze covers it. (Look at the difference between Dominican Republic and Haiti. Same island, very different climate.)

A former colleague was from the island of Dominica (not Dominican Republic). She absolutely hated DC summers - so much hotter than home. It was the breeze she missed.

I'm guessing Miami doesn't count? And there's always Bermuda. (I had a student teacher once who had been studying some crustacean that apparently has two natural habitats: SC and Bermuda. Guess where he spent a year burning through a grant?)

But get that insurance that includes hurricanes...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I find the Caribbean very, very hot in July. You might consider another area.
    Thanks- I'd be open to alternate international beach vacations if you have other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Bigger worry than heat might be hurricanes - they wait until after vacation plans are set in stone. July's early in the season, but plan for hurricane-inclusive travel insurance.

If I remember my geography correctly, most islands have average July highs in the upper 80s - albeit with lots of humidity. Wherever you go in the tropics, the east side gets the trade winds - and the rain; the west side is hotter but drier. Pick your poison. The smaller the island, the better the sea breeze covers it. (Look at the difference between Dominican Republic and Haiti. Same island, very different climate.)

A former colleague was from the island of Dominica (not Dominican Republic). She absolutely hated DC summers - so much hotter than home. It was the breeze she missed.

I'm guessing Miami doesn't count? And there's always Bermuda. (I had a student teacher once who had been studying some crustacean that apparently has two natural habitats: SC and Bermuda. Guess where he spent a year burning through a grant?)

But get that insurance that includes hurricanes...

-jk
    If we go, we'll get travel insurance- thanks for the reminder.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Timely thread for me!

I'm taking my family on a Disney cruise to the Caribbean this June. We've got stops in St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Any recommendations on things to do? Any must-sees? Disney offers excursions in each port, but they're a bit expensive, and I'm thinking we might do better on our own.

Would love to hear the thoughts of folks around here with experience on these islands.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I would go to St. John. There is great ecotourism there.
    ~rthomas

Bermuda is not the Caribbean, but is my favorite of the dozen or so islands off the southeast coast that I have visited over the years. Really liked Aruba and Curaçao as well.

Part depends on whether you plan to ever leave the resort. A lot of islands are really sketchy. Nassau and Grand Bahamas are rough, and some like Grand Cayman or Turk and Caicos there is not much there.

Check to see if you will need shots as well.

One island that doesn't get a lot of publicity but that I love is Antigua. Such a peaceful island and the people there are so warm and friendly. Great beaches and sights to see and I had a wonderful time. I was even there during a huge tropical storm but that still didn't affect the trip (though I would echo -jk's suggestion to get hurricane travel insurance). We rented a villa in English Harbour, which is about 20 minutes from St. John's on the other side of the island.

It's very hot and muggy in the Caribbean during the summer months, no matter where you are. But, it's still a wonderful time and it can't be beat! I also hear Anguilla is the most beautiful island in the Caribbean (haven't been yet) and would be well worth the day trip from Antigua. I tried to go to Montserrat while I was there, but the ferry was out of service so I didn't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Timely thread for me!

I'm taking my family on a Disney cruise to the Caribbean this June. We've got stops in St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Any recommendations on things to do? Any must-sees? Disney offers excursions in each port, but they're a bit expensive, and I'm thinking we might do better on our own.

Would love to hear the thoughts of folks around here with experience on these islands.
    St. Maarten and St. Thomas both have great city centers. If you're doing the tourist-trap shopping, they actually got some of the best around. St. Maarten has great deals on watches. My entire family walked off the island with brand new top-of-the-line watches for a steal of a price. St. Maarten has a lot more of the island to see than St. Thomas does. Travel to the French side of St. Maarten if you can as well. In Charlotte Amalie (St. Thomas), a lot of people go to Blackbeard's Castle, but I haven't heard any recommendations one way or the other. We were on a cruise as well when we visited and focused on the shopping and the fact we could use our cell phones since we were on U.S. territory.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I've been going down to St John USVI for about 35 years now, and still don't tire of it. But that may be because I don't go down looking for something to do, I go there to not do anything(aside from sitting on a beach, reading a few books, and if I'm feeling industrious, doing a little sailing). As others have noted, St. Thomas is where you go if you want to go shopping. St John is where you go when you want to relax. I'd recommend renting a home on St. John - as others have noted, for that time of year, make sure its a home with a breeze, if you are down on the wrong side of the hill, it can get a bit too much on the warm side for many tastes. If you do that, rent a car at the airport and take the car ferry over, rather than paying for the taxi+regular ferry and then higher car rental prices on St. John. And July isn't really much in the way of hurricane season... it officially starts then, but its later August and September in particular that are the times to worry(since my parents lost a home to Hurricane Marilyn in September 1995).

Re: Cruising - the usual St. John trip from a St. Thomas cruise stop is to head to Trunk Bay and do the snorkel trail there, fun to do, but not sure worth the 1 day visit costs, if you will.

Travel to Mexico and fly into Cuba ("please dont stamp my passport!"). Nothing is more exciting and romantic than doing something you are not supposed to do with someone you love...all the while over-indulging in salsa dancing, rum, coffee roasted pork, and long strolls through Habana.

Nevis: The Four Seasons.

Ta-da!!!!!

Starting to hone in on Aruba- outside the hurricane belt, trade winds to offset the heat, supposed to be very friendly and romantic.

Anyone been that has recommendations to share?

We once stayed at the Marriott on Aruba (long time ago) and I wouldn't recommend it. Too big. Crowded with too many New Yorkers. I can say that as that's where I grew up

Most of the hotels are on one side of the island and the water can be a bit rough. Often windy there.

Take an ATV tour of the other side of the island. That was fun.

Starting to hone in on Aruba- outside the hurricane belt, trade winds to offset the heat, supposed to be very friendly and romantic.
    Hey fuse! Come on, spill it: which milestone anniversary?

Anyone been that has recommendations to share?
    I like the ABC islands. If I recall, sand is generally brought in for the beaches because the islands are volcanic in origin without much in the way of real beaches. Big Dutch influence, obviously. Lots of blondes on the beaches, as an observation.

Still will throw in a plug for Bermuda -- great beaches, good diving, British influence, more First World than many islands.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hey fuse! Come on, spill it: which milestone anniversary?
    Too funny! My marriage is almost old enough to be served in a bar. Perhaps a poor but appropriate riddle, easily solved :-)

Too funny! My marriage is almost old enough to be served in a bar. Perhaps a poor but appropriate riddle, easily solved :-)
    Based on when I was growing up, I'd make it about 15 years.

Balvenie-Doublewood.jpg
    ~rthomas

I owe Mrs. Turk a trip as well. We're thinking April thru May sometime; looking at a long weekend, so maybe Bahamas for shorter travel time and longer beach time...

We rented a condo in St. Thomas for the honeymoon and loved it - we just made sure we were over on the other side of the island from Charlotte Amalie when the big cruise ships unloaded.