Big day for K's disciples

A couple of K's protégés are facing huge games today.

Johnny Dawkins has Stanford (17-8, 8-5) firmly on the NCAA bubble. Today, they get No. 23 UCLA in Palo Alto. It's a game that JD almost MUST win to get an NCAA bid -- and he NEEDS an NCAA vid badly at Stanford.

Tommy Amaker is under less pressure after taking Harvard to back-to-back Ivy titles, but his quest for a third straight championship is in some danger -- Harvard is deadlocked with Yale for the Ivy lead (and must finish up with a game at Yale). Today, Harvard plays the Princeton on the road ... this isn't a vintage Princeton team, but they just took Yale to OT at Yale and three weeks ago, they pushed Harvard to the limit in Cambridge. It's a dangerous game.

Chris Collins is, of course, under no pressure in his first season at Northwestern, so it's hard to call today's home game with Indiana a must-win. But a victory would vault Northwestern over the preseason top 25 Hoosiers in the Big Ten standings.

Good luck to all three.

I wouldn't say the UCLA game is almost a must-win for Stanford, though obviously you're right that it would help a lot. If they go 3-2 in their last five games by losing to UCLA and Arizona, but beating Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah, they'll be 11-7 in the Pac-12, which would probably be 3rd place. Then win a game or two in the conference tournament. It wouldn't be a lock, but they'd be in pretty good shape. Right now they're projected as a 9 seed, and the above scenario would probably not bump them too far down from that.

Hurley

Don't forget Bobby Hurley, who got a big win to keep Buffalo on top in their division of the MAC. Would love to see my favor all-time Devil come home one day.

the dukies all (but one) win

Big victory for JD at home. I wouldn't say that beating UCLA puts them in the field, but it gives them a great chance.

Harvard got off to a terrible start, but came back to beat Princeton. If Columbia can get Yale Sunday, that leaves Tommy's boys alone atop the Ivy.

I did forget about Bobby Hurley. Big road win Saturday for Buffalo at Kent State.

Only Chris Collins came up short ... but his time will come.

Can Harvard Get an At-Large Bid?

Suppose Tommy's Crimson team places second in the Ivy League, by going 3-1 to finish 12-2, losing to Yale, who wins the championship with a 13-1 record? Does Harvard get an at-large bid? If so, is this the first at-large bid for the Ivies?

Here is Harvard's projected resume: 25-5/12-2. Currently #37 in KenPom and #52 in the RPI (as replicated by ESPN).

Remaining schedule: Cornell, Columbia, @ Yale, @ Brown. Cornell is the doormat of the Ivies. Brown is third, and Columbia is fourth in the Ivy League.

I say, "Yes, Harvard would get an at-large bid."

Would this be the first bid for the Ivies? I think so. I checked the NCAA records vs. Ivy League championship records of Penn and Princeton, historically the two most dominant Ivy League teams. Neither had an at-large bid in the multiple bid era (post-1974).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Suppose Tommy's Crimson team places second in the Ivy League, by going 3-1 to finish 12-2, losing to Yale, who wins the championship with a 13-1 record? Does Harvard get an at-large bid? If so, is this the first at-large bid for the Ivies?

Here is Harvard's projected resume: 25-5/12-2. Currently #37 in KenPom and #52 in the RPI (as replicated by ESPN).

Remaining schedule: Cornell, Columbia, @ Yale, @ Brown. Cornell is the doormat of the Ivies. Brown is third, and Columbia is fourth in the Ivy League.

I say, "Yes, Harvard would get an at-large bid."

Would this be the first bid for the Ivies? I think so. I checked the NCAA records vs. Ivy League championship records of Penn and Princeton, historically the two most dominant Ivy League teams. Neither had an at-large bid in the multiple bid era (post-1974).
    As nice a story as that would be, I can't see it happening. They simply haven't played ANYBODY (just 2 games, both losses, against the top-50).

Yale lost

Harvard won

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Harvard won
    Doesn't change the situation (at least not yet). If Harvard loses at Yale (Harvard lost to Yale at home earlier in the season), Yale will win the Ivy. Unless Yale loses another game in between.