Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Duke's relationships with UNC and Syracuse

Someone posted this question on our SU board, I was interested in your take...

You can have one of two results:

1) You beat your hated rivals, the North Carolina Tar Heels, who are having a mediocre season by their standards but lose for a second time this year to the invaders from the North, the Syracuse Orangemen, who waltz out of Cameron with that beautiful 28-0 record and #1 national ranking or...

2) The Heels knock you off get to brag about it but you come back to turn that goose egg at the end of SU's record in to an omelette with a win that tells the world who the bets team in this conference really is.

Which do you take?

http://syracusefan.com/threads/a-que...ke-fans.69558/

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Orange View Post

1) You beat your hated rivals, the North Carolina Tar Heels, who are having a mediocre season by their standards but lose for a second time this year to the invaders from the North, the Syracuse Orangemen, who waltz out of Cameron with that beautiful 28-0 record and #1 national ranking or...

2) The Heels knock you off get to brag about it but you come back to turn that goose egg at the end of SU's record in to an omelette with a win that tells the world who the bets team in this conference really is.

Which do you take?

If there's a gun to my head, I'd rather win against 'Cuse in Cameron if it doesn't preclude us beating UNC in Cameron as well.

Which do you take?

Beating UNC > beating Syracuse, even if they're undefeated.

Which do you take?

Splitting the season series with Syracuse, who would only have one loss, would not tell anyone who the best in the conference is. It would just show that Duke is potentially as good, which we already know from the game at the Carrier Dome.

And, despite Syracuse being really good, beating them doesn't help Duke out more than in NCAA seeding. Beating UNC always trumps it for me.

I know a Duke grad wrote, "Sophie's Choice", but can we really not have both?

I don't like the idea of Syracuse beating Duke in Cameron the first time out. That doesn't sit well. It's also a more important game from an NCAA seed perspective.

Of course, losing to UNC anytime is like having a stomach virus on your birthday.

There's no good answer.

Nothing could be finer

I can't imagine anything is better than beating Carolina, especially in the Dean Dome. Remember the three by Rivers.

To be honest, I'd be ok with coming out 1 for 2 (either one as a loss, but not both). These are the 2 most dangerous games left on our regular season schedule.

UNC losing > everything else
    It's real simple

The rivalry trumps all.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Arctic, I think you've got a pretty good idea of the situation here.

GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Arctic, I think you've got a pretty good idea of the situation here.

GTHC
    lol That's what I kind of expected.

Thanks everyone for your answers!

GTHC, GTH!!

Nothing better than beating Kerlina.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention

Which do you take?

Is this a trick question?

I take beating those cheaters from Chapel Hill. Granted, knocking Syracuse down a peg would be fun, but if it's a choice between the two... it's no choice at all.

I understand why you ask, but you poor, sweet, innocent people-- you just don't know. Syracuse is a nice place, but unknown to you guys, chief among it's many fine qualities is that it's 600 miles from Chapel Hill. Trust me, if you lived within 8 miles of these folks, they'd be your arch-rivals, too. You wouldn't dream of asking this question. Hell, NCSU in Raleigh is 20 miles away, and they hate UNC just as much as we do. Just a few weeks living next to the constant sanctimony and entitlement would cure you of circling any other game on your basketball calendar.

Just last year an editor on their student newspaper referred to Durham as essentially a third world country and seriously questioned why there wasn't a border-crossing station between our city and their little egg sack. Hell, just last week their moronic fan base decided that even though the entire city was shut down and was currently being featured on national news as an unmitigated snow disaster, they decided Duke had engaged in some sort of conspiracy to evade playing them, presumably because when their 20,000 seat arena isn't filled with their snoring boosters but with actual college students, it would confer some sort of advantage.

I relish every opportunity to beat these blowhards, and wouldn't trade any of those opportunities for the world.
    Last edited by alteran; 02-19-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Hell, just last week their moronic fan base decided that even though the entire city was shut down and was currently being featured on national news as an unmitigated snow disaster, they decided Duke had engaged in some sort of conspiracy to evade playing them, presumably because when their 20,000 seat arena isn't filled with their snoring boosters but with actual college students, it would confer some sort of advantage.
    Any person who can't decide how they feel in the Duke-UNC rivalry should read this sentence 5 times out loud. It's completely insane.

This is a no-brainer for me. GTHC GTH. Always and forever.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Is this a trick question?

I take beating those cheaters from Chapel Hill. Granted, knocking Syracuse down a peg would be fun, but if it's a choice between the two... it's no choice at all.

I understand why you ask, but you poor, sweet, innocent people-- you just don't know. Syracuse is a nice place, but unknown to you guys, chief among it's many fine qualities is that it's 600 miles from Chapel Hill. Trust me, if you lived within 8 miles of these folks, they'd be your arch-rivals, too. You wouldn't dream of asking this question. Hell, NCSU in Raleigh is 20 miles away, and they hate UNC just as much as we do. Just a few weeks living next to the constant sanctimony and entitlement would cure you of circling any other game on your basketball calendar.

Just last year an editor on their student newspaper referred to Durham as essentially a third world country and seriously questioned why there wasn't a border-crossing station between our city and their little egg sack. Hell, just last week their moronic fan base decided that even though the entire city was shut down and was currently being featured on national news as an unmitigated snow disaster, they decided Duke had engaged in some sort of conspiracy to evade playing them, presumably because when their 20,000 seat arena isn't filled with their snoring boosters but with actual college students, it would confer some sort of advantage.

I relish every opportunity to beat these blowhards, and wouldn't trade any of those opportunities for the world.
    This. THIS. A thousand times, THIS.

The sight of Carolina Blue is like red to a bull for those of us who don't drink from that Old Well. As is their "Carolina Way."

GTHC. Always. Forever.

Which do you take?

I take result #1 a thousand times out of a thousand.

Not even the smallest question.

I only need a single byte to relay my sentiments:

0x9f
    April 1

Beating the Toolies takes precedence over any other game. We will take care of the 'cuse during the tournament after your coach has been poisoned by the All-American Slam at Chez Denny's (know some Carolina grads who work there, they"ll know what to do.)

I would rather lose to Syracuse every time out for the next 5 seasons than lose to UNC once.