Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    hate to nit-pik an otherwise phenomenal post, but uconn would routinely run duke up and down the floor, often beating duke 3 or 4 vs 1 in transition...leading to huge amounts of points on the break...so I'm not sure what your justification for that line is...but I'm not sure I buy it.

Duke's players are always, as you say, in good shape...but pretending they wipe the floor with uconn in "in-shapeness" is out of touch with reality.
    I never said that Duke would "wipe the floor" with UConn. But are you going to tell me Dolson or Mosqueda-Lewis are in top shape? I said that the Duke players were in great shape, compared to others, including specifically UConn. The fast breaks to me come from anticipation and expectation of making plays (rebounds and outlet passes in particular) not that they really blew by the Duke players. (or many other teams, of course.)

Second, I first heard this comment from my niece, who is in a position to comment on this.
    Last edited by DU82; 02-11-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Finished missing phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I never said that Duke would "wipe the floor" with UConn. But are you going to tell me Dolson or Mosqueda-Lewis are in top shape? I said that the Duke players were in great shape, compared to others, including specifically UConn. The fast breaks to me come from anticipation and expectation of making plays (rebounds and outlet passes in particular) not that they really blew by the Duke players. (or many other teams, of course.)

Second, I first heard this comment from my niece, who is in a position to comment on this.
    In terms of dolson, absolutely. THe amount she has remade her body in 4 years of college has been incredible. Take a look at the pictorial evidence:

young dolson:
    ncw_u_dolson01_200.jpg

current dolson: (apologies, for some reason the board doesn't like the link...)
    http://www.concordmonitor.com/csp/me...E%3Dimage/jpeg

for a 6'5 center to look like THAT?

she gets up and down the floor at least as well as any other person her size in the country, and watching her play, she is in incredible shape.

I think watching KML completely lose her defender multiple times while playing against duke a couple months ago would be enough to demonstrate her shape.

Nothing against your niece, but the my (quite extensive in uconn's case) observation doesn't jibe with her assertion
    1200. DDMF.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    In terms of dolson, absolutely. THe amount she has remade her body in 4 years of college has been incredible. Take a look at the pictorial evidence:

young dolson:
    ncw_u_dolson01_200.jpg

current dolson: (apologies, for some reason the board doesn't like the link...)
    http://www.concordmonitor.com/csp/me...E%3Dimage/jpeg

for a 6'5 center to look like THAT?

she gets up and down the floor at least as well as any other person her size in the country, and watching her play, she is in incredible shape.

I think watching KML completely lose her defender multiple times while playing against duke a couple months ago would be enough to demonstrate her shape.

Nothing against your niece, but the my (quite extensive in uconn's case) observation doesn't jibe with her assertion
    Dolson's transformation is impressive. Tricia's done similar work. Bad example in terms of what she's done.

I had pulled up the box score from the Dec game, and noted that Duke actually had more fast beak points,c10 to 8. UConn had a lot more second chance points. So it wasn't necessarily their team speed. It was making plays and knowing from practice and play where their teammates were going to be on the court. (something they do to just about every team, not just Duke. My original comment put this in the wrong place, implying that UConn was out of shape compared to most teams.)

And I'm guessing my niece has seen UConn up close more often recently than you have. (got to defend her! )

And Mosqueda-Lewis was open time after time because we lost her on defense, rather than her quickness and being in shape. But, to be fair to her as well, she was coming off an injury.

Let's agree that one of Duke's strengths is their general physical fitness and

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    These girls do deserve it. It doesn't mean that they'll get to a Final 4 but they do deserve it. JJ never made it to a Final 4; and he busted his butt to get better and earn that opportunity. Unfortunately, it never happened; and I genuinely felt bad for him.
    Ignoring the fact that JJ did make it to a FF, what does these girls do deserve it even mean? Just about everybody with a scholarship in D1 has busted their butts to get where they are. Why do the Duke women deserve that more than any other squad of butt-busters?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

For the record, I support Coach P and all the players. Everyone is subject to mistakes. This goes from the top to the bottom. You lost this game. So what? Get over it. The other bunch played well enough to overcome our favorites. (I just threw up a little bit)
    You guys shouldn't make this a time to point to a forum referendum on the coach. I'd ask the mods to shut this one down. It has reached a point of nothing positive to be further added.
    Tip your hat and just wish our bunch the best.
    GTHC,GTH!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    For the record, I support Coach P and all the players. Everyone is subject to mistakes. This goes from the top to the bottom. You lost this game. So what? Get over it. The other bunch played well enough to overcome our favorites. (I just threw up a little bit)
    You guys shouldn't make this a time to point to a forum referendum on the coach. I'd ask the mods to shut this one down. It has reached a point of nothing positive to be further added.
    Tip your hat and just wish our bunch the best.
    GTHC,GTH!
    Yeh, we need to stick together for tonight's game. We need all the mojo we can muster. Beat the evil empire, the low lifes, the ones going to hell, and oh yeh, the cheaters. GoDuke!