Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

slow cooker pulled pork

hi friends,
    i'm making dinner for my lady on wednesday night for the big game, and i was thinking of bringing this nc classic to my philadelphia kitchen. the problem with making barbecue for real is that i'll be away all day, so i'm thinking of finally dusting off that slow cooker and seeing what it can do. have any of you tried making pulled pork in a slow cooker? do you have specific recipes that you like, or recommendations on rubs/sauces/etc). thanks y'all GTHC
    NS

I've done it several times. Turns out great and I've received many compliments.

I've used a 3 or 4 pound boneless pork piece, put it in a ziplock w/ some store-bought dry rub and treat it like shake and bake and shake all around so the dry rub coats the meat (have let it sit overnight; also done it just before it goes into the crock pot), and then the meat goes into the crock pot for 6 or 7 hours.

My crock pot only has high and low settings (no medium) so I usually do the first half of the time on high, the second half on low. While the meat is cooking, I don't open the lid for anything.

After it's cooked, take the meat out, chop it up (or pull it apart), get rid of all the grease/liquid in the crock pot, wash the crock pot, put the meat back into the crock pot, and then put some sauce on it. The sauce recipe I use (just found on the internet at www.amazingribs.com):

1 cup distilled vinegar (not cider vinegar)
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup apple juice
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
    (the recipe also calls for 1 teaspoon hot sauce but I leave that out)
    Whisk together and let sauce sit overnight before using.

This sauce recipe usually makes more sauce than necessary for the amount of meat -- don't want the meat swimming in sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

This sauce recipe usually makes more sauce than necessary for the amount of meat -- don't want the meat swimming in sauce.
    I echo the above comment, too much sauce will ruin the meat. Classic Eastern NC chopped BBQ is not gooey wet, but rather on the dry side. Good luck with your BBQ experiment. I have previously cooked BBQ in a crock pot, in the oven, on the backyard Weber grill and combinations of the aforementioned. Now that I reside in Virginia instead of Japan or the West Coast, I just drive down to NC and buy it.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I echo the above comment, too much sauce will ruin the meat. Classic Eastern NC chopped BBQ is not gooey wet, but rather on the dry side. Good luck with your BBQ experiment. I have previously cooked BBQ in a crock pot, in the oven, on the backyard Weber grill and combinations of the aforementioned. Now that I reside in Virginia instead of Japan or the West Coast, I just drive down to NC and buy it.
    And Classic Eastern NC doesn't use catsup in the sauce.
    ~rthomas

Making dinner for your lady?! I love the sound of that. You, sir, are a wonderful catch!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Making dinner for your lady?! I love the sound of that. You, sir, are a wonderful catch!
    Hear! Hear! I second that!

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Agreed! If it has catsup, it is Lexington Style. The real stuff contains: White Vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Brown Sugar, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Salt and Hot Sauce.

The key is to cook up the sauce a week in advance and store it in a glass jar in the refrigerator. And, as previously stated, don't use too much. The sauce is suppose to complement the meat, not overpower it.
    Bob Green

I just made this last week - it was really yummy. You can use a lean piece of pork loin, even remove the visible fat, and it will come out moist and juicy in the crock pot. The small amount of liquid smoke just gives a hint, not overpowering. I'm no expert on Carolina BBQ - I live in GA, but you can certainly use the method and tweak it to your liking.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/s...lled-pork.html

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I've done it several times. Turns out great and I've received many compliments.

I've used a 3 or 4 pound boneless pork piece, put it in a ziplock w/ some store-bought dry rub and treat it like shake and bake and shake all around so the dry rub coats the meat (have let it sit overnight; also done it just before it goes into the crock pot), and then the meat goes into the crock pot for 6 or 7 hours.

My crock pot only has high and low settings (no medium) so I usually do the first half of the time on high, the second half on low. While the meat is cooking, I don't open the lid for anything.

After it's cooked, take the meat out, chop it up (or pull it apart), get rid of all the grease/liquid in the crock pot, wash the crock pot, put the meat back into the crock pot, and then put some sauce on it. The sauce recipe I use (just found on the internet at www.amazingribs.com):

1 cup distilled vinegar (not cider vinegar)
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup apple juice
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
    (the recipe also calls for 1 teaspoon hot sauce but I leave that out)
    Whisk together and let sauce sit overnight before using.

I do this all the time (being from eastern NC, it's my comfort food). I actually will get a boston butt (3-4 pounds as mentioned above) with the bone in. I will just throw it in the crock pot and cook it on low for about 9 hours (so I set it when I leave for work and then when I get home it's ready for the final touches). I don't make my own sauce because I just dont' have the time, but the best I've found in the store is either the 'Ole Time Barbecue brand (it's a bbq shack, literally, and that's a good thing, between Raleigh and Cary) or George's original (yellow label with blue writing). I'm not a fan of hot and spicy barbecue myself so I go with one of those.

After it's cooked for 9 hours, like above, take it out and put it in a bowl. I find it's easier just to fork shred it (remove the bone of course). Toss out the liquid. I don't wash out the pot though. Once the meat is shredded/chopped up, add it back to the crock pot and stir it up to keep it loose. Then pour about half the sauce bottle over it and give that a stir and let it cook for another hour or two so that the sauce can soak in.

The key component for me though, is to make some cole slaw (get a bag of angel hair cabbage at the store and a packet of cole slaw mix and Duke's, that's important, mayonnaise). Mix that up before you take out the meat to shred/chop and let it sit in the fridge until you're ready to eat. If you're making sandwiches, it's a great topper. If you're making a plate, it's also great to mix together.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Excellent thread, but it could have been titled Duke vs Kentucky, and posted in the Off Topic board. I'd only make minor changes. I prefer chopped instead of pulled, and I agree with going easy with the sauce. Too much makes it bbq soup. No ketchup, please. Finally, with any kind of bbq, coleslaw is a requirement, but sauerkraut instead of coleslaw would have been used by my German grandmother.

Every contributor deserves sporks. I'm going to print out a copy of this thread to put it in the kitchen recipé binder.

Cole slaw:
    3/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons buttermilk
    4 teaspoons celery seeds
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    3 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
    3 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
    1 green bell pepper, finely diced
    1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
    1/2 cup grated yellow onion
    1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

If you want to make serious slaw from scratch Recipe from Emeril!! I usually buy slaw mix, add Marzetti's slaw dressing and add a little cayenne, salt and pepper. Good luck!!

Authentic Easter NC BBQ sauce:

Courtesy of Anne Burrell

Vinegar BBQ sauce:
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    3 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup tomato paste
    2 tablespoons Creole mustard
    1/4 cup brown sugar

are we talking about BBQ? or vinegar on a pig?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

One correction: Duke vs Kentucky is always (and forever) on the Main/EK Board. BBQ is NOT an OTB board discussion.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Nor the large majority of Lexington-style sauces. And if they do they'll probably call it ketchup! And devildeac is correct, wrong thread!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

BBQ in it's natural state of equilibrium 4959654_l12.jpg

vinegar on a pig with chopped vinegar on some cabbagecarter-bros-425.jpg
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    are we talking about BBQ? or vinegar on a pig?
    If it's done in a slow cooker, it can be pulled pork, chopped pork, or sliced pork. It's not BBQ (as the OP so notes).

IMHEIUO, BBQ is pork shoulder/butt cooked slowly over wood (or charcoal or gas, if it must be) and lightly sauced with a lovely vinegar-based sauce (devoid of ketchup). Other portions of the pig (such as ribs) and other animals may also be slow cooked to a delectable, delicious tenderness, but are not BBQ.

Back to the OP's original question, pulled pork in a crock pot is quite wonderful. I put the pork shoulder/butt in the crock pot with a couple of splashes of vinegar (either distilled or cider), along with some crushed red pepper (heaping teaspoonish?), cayenne pepper (coupla shakes), and a generous number of grinds of black pepper. Salt, too, if you want (the sauce usually adds plenty). Add a little Liquid Smoke, too, if you have it. Accuracy in measurement isn't required as it's a very forgiving recipe and always turns out quite delicious.

After hanging out in the crock pot for 8-12 hours, remove it from the liquid (and discard the liquid -- though should any canines inhabit the residence, they will love you if you put a tablespoon or so over their kibble). Pull with two forks, then toss with a bit of George's Original sauce (like jjasper0729 said). Serve with more George's sauce. Or any sauce that meets Bob Green's description. Sorry, duketaylor, but the ketchup and mustard in your recipe make it sound like authentic South Carolina barbecue. Not that SC 'cue is bad, but it's just a different flavor.

Slaw is a must -- duketaylor's recipe looks good, minus the mustard and the onion. I also like the Western NC red slaw, which is about equal parts of cider vinegar and ketchup (THIS is where you put the ketchup!), a bit of sugar (maybe about 1/3 part?), some red pepper flakes, and maybe a dash of hot sauce to each small, finely chopped cabbage.

Complete the meal with green beans, canned whole potatoes, and a roll, and your lady will be very impressed. (If she isn't, she's crazy.)

gosh, y'all. i am humbled by the outpouring of advice and affection. i knew i could count on the board for everything i needed. i will report back dutifully afterwards; hopefully, the pulled pork will taste as delicious as tar heel tears.

Most important thing, take good care of your Lady!! Whatever that enthralls, do it!! I'm one lucky guy to have a great Lady!! A few of my Duke brethren around here know how lucky I am!! I appreciate knowing that and will do anything for her! I have some good recipes for other stuff, as well, but won't get deep into that. Do you have a dessert in mind? I know of a good peppermint cheesecake recipe, but it takes a day to make, or at least for it to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    BBQ in it's natural state of equilibrium 4959654_l12.jpg

vinegar on a pig with chopped vinegar on some cabbagecarter-bros-425.jpg
    Blasphemy!!

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
    blasphemy!!
    truth!!!!!!!