Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I guess I picked the wrong month to go vegetarian...

all this looks fantastic. Ordered some George's for up here in Ohio. Duke/Carolina 2 is gonna have some pulled pork!

Ok guys, you inspired me. Never tried this before, but you made it sound easy.

3 pound Boston Butt is in the crock pot. I guess my wife threw out my dry rub, so I used Montreal Steak seasoning... The container said it could be used as a dry rub on pork and poultry...

I've got it on low, and plan to let it cook for 9 hours or so. I'll have to live with store bought slaw, sauce, and buns.

Anyone have any recommendation on sides (other than coleslaw)? I was thinking maybe green beans.

My family will be watching Duke Kerlina in authentic style tonight.

German potato salad:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ad-recipe.html

Warm side vs. cold side, worth trying

Made Russian imperial stout 3 weeks ago and bottled it last Friday, may have to sample some this evening

9F!9F!9F!
    Last edited by duketaylor; 02-12-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: additional info

Dang it, y'all have done done it now. Just got out my slow-cooker. Have plenty of beef in freezer, have mini carrots, just need some taters. Should be ready by tip-off

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post

3 pound Boston Butt is in the crock pot. I guess my wife threw out my dry rub, so I used Montreal Steak seasoning... The container said it could be used as a dry rub on pork and poultry...

I've got it on low, and plan to let it cook for 9 hours or so. I'll have to live with store bought slaw, sauce, and buns.

Anyone have any recommendation on sides (other than coleslaw)? I was thinking maybe green beans.

If you've got some baked beans, go with those. That's what I always make with mine when I bring it for tailgating for football. But green beans can be done as well as long as you cook them low and slow as well for a bit (and maybe make some bacon and use the grease for a little flavoring)
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Dang it, y'all have done done it now. Just got out my slow-cooker. Have plenty of beef in freezer, have mini carrots, just need some taters. Should be ready by tip-off
    Hmm, since the meat is cooking anyway, could I throw some vegetables in to cook with it? I, too, have mini carrots and taters.

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    If you've got some baked beans, go with those. That's what I always make with mine when I bring it for tailgating for football. But green beans can be done as well as long as you cook them low and slow as well for a bit (and maybe make some bacon and use the grease for a little flavoring)
    I like the way you think!

Oh, I didn't mention the best part. I just made a big pitcher of sweet tea!

Anyone have any recommendation on sides (other than coleslaw)?
    I recommend collards and fried cornbread.
    Bob Green

Baked beans are a good side as long as they are made with onions, green peppers and a few small chunks of pork thrown in for additional flavor.

Brunswick stew is another good option.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Oh, man. That ought to be illegal.

My pork shoulder has been cooking for 7.5 hours now, and I decided to drain it, fork it, and add sauce, so it's ready for the wife and three year old when they get home from work / preschool.

When I tried to pull it out, the whole thing just fell apart on me. I mean, you could eat this thing with a spoon. So I drained the liquid, then pulled it in the crock pot, removing chunks of fat as I went. As I started, I decided to give it a try, "just to make sure it was ok".

You can guess where that went. That's some of the best pork I've ever had, and I routinely order pork at high end restaurants in DC and NYC. The steak rub made it taste like a cross between barbecue pork, and a well marbled rib-eye. I almost hated to add the sauce, and seriously considered skipping it, and just eating the pork as I had cooked it.

We didn't have baked beans, and I never had time to run out and buy some, but I did find some "Southern Style Great Northern Beans" in the pantry. So it's that and green beans to go with the pork.

Oh, man. That ought to be illegal.

My pork shoulder has been cooking for 7.5 hours now, and I decided to drain it, fork it, and add sauce, so it's ready for the wife and three year old when they get home from work / preschool.

When I tried to pull it out, the whole thing just fell apart on me. I mean, you could eat this thing with a spoon. So I drained the liquid, then pulled it in the crock pot, removing chunks of fat as I went. As I started, I decided to give it a try, "just to make sure it was ok".

You can guess where that went. That's some of the best pork I've ever had, and I routinely order pork at high end restaurants in DC and NYC. The steak rub made it taste like a cross between barbecue pork, and a well marbled rib-eye. I almost hated to add the sauce, and seriously considered skipping it, and just eating the pork as I had cooked it.

We didn't have baked beans, and I never had time to run out and buy some, but I did find some "Southern Style Great Northern Beans" in the pantry. So it's that and green beans to go with the pork.
    Yeah, that's one of the draw backs to doing it in the slow cooker. Y ou have to either use a super big spoon or a couple of forks and lift it out. Even then some of it will fall off but it's sooooooooooooooooooo good (not as good as doing it properly on a cooker but when you don't have a cooker, it works)
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

a hearty thanks to everyone for their help! after 11 hours in the crock pot, the meat fell right off the bone and pulled apart just by being looked at. the vinegar sauce was loved, the cole slaw quickly vanished, and the emergency sweet baby rays lies unopened. the lady was won over, even without a game to watch. and it was good.

oh, yeah, and GTHC

If you go the baked beans route, add some Original Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, it has a wonderful twang/sweetness that is perfect for baked beans. My boys love it. Bob Green, I'm gonna have to pay you a visit. I can meet you at Park Lane Tavern (Hampton) tomorrow, for lunch. They have 72 beers on tap!! Interested??

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    If you go the baked beans route, add some Original Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, it has a wonderful twang/sweetness that is perfect for baked beans. My boys love it. Bob Green, I'm gonna have to pay you a visit. I can meet you at Park Lane Tavern (Hampton) tomorrow, for lunch. They have 72 beers on tap!! Interested??
    What you doing on Saturday?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    What you doing on Saturday?
    Hey, this is a pulled pork tread. You should go up the peninsula a little bit to the County Grill and Smokehouse (Exit 258B, turn left at 4th stoplight - about 0.5 mile - into their parking lot). Great barbecue and an outstanding selection IMHO of brews - only 14 on tap but yesterday they included "Enjoy By" and Sublimely Self-Righteous, two of the absolute best.

Saturday we're convening to watch the St. Louis/VCU game and make some BBQ. I made slaw yesterday. Will maybe do a butt tonight. May be available Sunday or Monday, though.

Bob Green

Might could do Thursday or Friday in Hampton. Went to Raleigh today to visit a brewery, rough work, I know

dry-rub

hey gang! thanks again for all your feedback last year. i'm wondering if you have any advice for sharpening up the recipe this time with recommendations for a dry rub to spice up my pork butt. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    hey gang! thanks again for all your feedback last year. i'm wondering if you have any advice for sharpening up the recipe this time with recommendations for a dry rub to spice up my pork butt. thanks
    You probably already know, but rub the butt first with yellow mustard. Does not add taste but keeps the rub coated.

I don't like brown sugar in my rub though some swear by it, I always get a really blackish bark when I use it.

Interesting timing, I'm doing corned beef and vegetables in my cooker right now. Debated doing pork...but ended up going this direction. Maybe for next weekend.