Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Quarterback: What's not to like? Anthony Boone and Brandon Connette are both fifth year seniors who grew by leaps and bounds in 2013 sharing the starting role. Plus, Thomas Sirk is healthy and available. My guess is Sirk will move into the #2 slot behind starter Anthony Boone, which will free up Brandon Connette to return to the Phantom role full time. With Parker Boehme and Quay Chambers (who could augment Connette at Phantom) also in the mix, QB could be the deepest position on the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I'm not surprised they moved one of the QBs with two more QBs on the way in this year (one already on campus for this month's workouts). Look for some fun play-calling with both Chambers and Connette on the field not under center.
    I found an interesting tidbit about maybe not seeing him at anywhere but under center.
    The coaching staff is taking a look at 2014 senior Brandon Connette exclusively at quarterback. Connette has played a hybrid role, often lining up as a tight end or in the backfield. Cutcliffe said it’s important to allow Connette’s full attention to be on the quarterback role.
    http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/a...kouts-1.275763
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I found an interesting tidbit about maybe not seeing him at anywhere but under center.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/a...kouts-1.275763
    As much as we lined Connette up elsewhere, we actually used him precious little...might was well just stick with QB.

Duke held a 70 play situational scrimmage this morning:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Three QBs combined to throw four touchdowns, while the defense recorded three interceptions.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke held a 70 play situational scrimmage this morning:

Three QBs combined to throw four touchdowns, while the defense recorded three interceptions.
    Bob, thanks for the Duke Football link. Maybe I missed it, but do you know which QBs threw the interceptions. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but do you know which QBs threw the interceptions.
    Watching the scrimmage highlights video clip, it is apparent Boone threw two interceptions. I do not know who threw the third.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...db_oem_id=4200
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    As much as we lined Connette up elsewhere, we actually used him precious little...might was well just stick with QB.
    The Boone and Sirk injuries had a lot to do with that, at least last season.

Duke in the Duck Bowl

duck bowl

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    God, I hope not ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    On the plus side, we now have a reason to skip any Duke bowl trips to Shreveport without feeling guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    On the plus side, we now have a reason to skip any Duke bowl trips to Shreveport without feeling guilty.
    I'm a duck hunter BTW, but I still don't ever want to go to Shreveport.

I enjoy duck hunting in Thai restaurants, especially canards of the crispy variety...

Bumping this back-to-the-top with a reminder the Spring Game is tomorrow at 12 pm. Anyone reasonably close, who has open time on their schedule, should consider attending the Spring Game. Admittance is free, parking is free, there is no basketball game to watch and, most important, the football team has earned our support with last season's historic 10 wins.
    Bob Green

spring notebook

The article includes some updates about Duke heading into the spring game:

Sirk is nursing a sore hamstring, but is expecting to play. Duke will be without Tacoby Cofield and Jamal Bruce ...

Some good words about some youngsters -- especially Mike Ramsey.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Some good words about some youngsters -- especially Mike Ramsey.
    I'd say excellent words about Mike Ramsay:

Wray is also expecting big things from Ramsay.

“Mike has truly developed since he’s gotten here,” Wray said. “He’s probably the most natural pass rusher we have on the defensive line. He has great feet. He shoots his hands. He’s explosive off the ball. I believe he is the guy who can come in and make an impact up front."
    Chris Holmes switching position from safety to linebacker and Kyler Brown switching from linebacker to defensive end are earning solid early reviews:

“I think he [Chris Holmes] is an extremely, extremely fine prospect at linebacker,” Cutcliffe said. “He has had a really fine spring.”
    “That move for him [Kyler Brown] has not been a good one, but an outstanding one,” Cutcliffe said. “I’m very pleased with that.”
    Bob Green

Anyone else tuning in on ESPN3?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Sorry I'm confused. Besides the location, what's the reason?
    Last edited by Scorp4me; 03-01-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Anyone else tuning in on ESPN3?
    Yes - just watched it. Can't wait for football!

Blue 24, White 14

Unfortunately I have to start with potentially bad news. Lucas Patrick was injured in the first series and did not return. He hurt his right leg and was down for a bit and when helped off the field was not putting his right foot on the ground at all. It appeared to be an ankle or knee injury.

The game was a true Blue - White game which says a lot about our depth. The only exceptions are Hennessy handled long snap duties for both squads and Will Monday held for extra points for both squads.

Redshirt freshman running back Joseph Ajeigbe was very impressive for the white team. He is a strong runner and caught a couple of swing passes and ran for good yards after the catch. He is the new guy I walked away from the scrimmage most impressed by.

Thomas Sirk displayed strong running skills with both White TDs being on QB keepers. His passing was nothing special.

Boone had a forgettable afternoon. He displayed zero passing accuracy and the offense sputtered when he played. Connette looked good. He threw a great TD pass to Max McCaffrey. He also ran a couple of decent QB keepers.

Shaq Powell rushed for a ~30 yard TD on 4th and 1. The play was identical to the one he had against Miami.

Dez Johnson was impressive at DE. He had at least one QB sack (I think 2) and pressured Sirk all afternoon.

Johnell Barnes was steady for the Blue. Ryan Smith had a very nice TD reception for the Blue but I can't remember if Boone or Connette threw the pass.

No interceptions but there should have been a couple if the DBs hadn't dropped them. Josh Snead lost a fumble.

Finally, the game started under overcast skies but ended under blue skies and brilliant sunshine. No rain! Overall, a great afternoon in Wallace Wade Stadium.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 03-01-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: English
    Bob Green

I just read the Goduke.com recap. Connette threw the TD pass to Ryan Smith.
    Bob Green

ESPN College Football (@ESPNCFB) gave Duke some social media attention with the following tweet (though most responses appear to bemoan our weak schedule):

QB Brandon Connette threw for 121 yards (11-16) & 2 TDs in the @Duke_FB Spring game.
    Replay: http://es.pn/1dOth5d
    pic.twitter.com/9ihN0cLdsZ