Page 5 of 176 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    Are you saying you have info that convinces you Smith won't be a blue dev, or are you only saying you don't trust tommy?
    The former, which thereby contributes to the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Seems harsh. All tommy said is that there is still a mutual interest. I don't think we have any reason to doubt that tommy had a conversation in LA with Dennis Smith Sr. in which the latter said his son is interested in Duke. I read recently that Smith doesn't even have a "list" yet and won't make one until mid-way through the coming season. He says he hasn't heard from Kentucky or Florida yet but would like to. So unless budworm has some unusually good intel, it's hard for me to credit the above statement, particularly in light of how early it is in the process for this 16 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Seems harsh. All tommy said is that there is still a mutual interest. I don't think we have any reason to doubt that tommy had a conversation in LA with Dennis Smith Sr. in which the latter said his son is interested in Duke. I read recently that Smith doesn't even have a "list" yet and won't make one until mid-way through the coming season. He says he hasn't heard from Kentucky or Florida yet but would like to. So unless budworm has some unusually good intel, it's hard for me to credit the above statement, particularly in light of how early it is in the process for this 16 year old.
    I don't see much reason to prolong this. I was reacting to Tommy's cocksure "trust me on this." I am choosing not to do so. Others are certainly welcome to do so.
    As a previous poster (sagely) noted, talking to one party hardly indicates "trust me on this" level equal interest by both parties.

I don't see much reason to prolong this. I was reacting to Tommy's cocksure "trust me on this." I am choosing not to do so. Others are certainly welcome to do so.
    As a previous poster (sagely) noted, talking to one party hardly indicates "trust me on this" level equal interest by both parties.
    You stated you had info that leads you to believe Smith will not be a blue devil, would you share this info?

You are basically saying the opposite of tommy and suggesting that we should believe you when you divulge even less info than tommy. He has interviewed the player's father. You have the right to your opinion but disagreeing strongly with others info while giving none of your own makes you seem like the cocksure one.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    You are basically saying the opposite of tommy and suggesting that we should believe you when you divulge even less info than tommy. He has interviewed the player's father. You have the right to your opinion but disagreeing strongly with others info while giving none of your own makes you seem like the cocksure one.
    I'll support budwom on this one. I have read info that suggests that Duke will be looking elsewhere for a PG. What I have seen is premium info, so I won't quote.

We'll just have to wait and see how things play out.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I'll support budwom on this one. I have read info that suggests that Duke will be looking elsewhere for a PG. What I have seen is premium info, so I won't quote.

It's premium info going the other way, too, just at a different site. Essentially two Duke recruiting sites are at odds here about what's happening. Will be mildly interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It's premium info going the other way, too, just at a different site. Essentially two Duke recruiting sites are at odds here about what's happening. Will be mildly interesting to see how this plays out.
    This just goes to show (once again) that NO ONE knows what these kids and schools are really thinking. But what *is* a certainty is that the people who actually speak with the schools, players and parents generally have a better idea of what is going on than those who read what others are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    This just goes to show (once again) that NO ONE knows what these kids and schools are really thinking. But what *is* a certainty is that the people who actually speak with the schools, players and parents generally have a better idea of what is going on than those who read what others are saying.
    As Budwom's unauthorized spokesman on this matter, let me suggest that Budwom reacted to the estimable Tommy's statement, "Trust me on that," with a bit of repartee, "No thanks on that." End of story?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Is there reason to doubt the report that Smith has an offer from Duke?

Isn't an offer conclusive evidence of interest in Smith by Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As Budwom's unauthorized spokesman on this matter, let me suggest that Budwom reacted to the estimable Tommy's statement, "Trust me on that," with a bit of repartee, "No thanks on that." End of story?
    Precisely, Sage. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Is there reason to doubt the report that Smith has an offer from Duke?

Isn't an offer conclusive evidence of interest in Smith by Duke?
    Okay, might as well flog this issue further...

The story is that Dennis Smith Jr. was offered by Duke a few months ago, was considered the prime target for a 2016 PG position, but the Duke staff has cooled on him (exact reason unknown, at least to me) and is looking at other PG targets for 2016.

Derryck Thornton may be a target for the 2016 PG spot, which looks to be an important spot to fill, with the assumption that Tyus Jones exits after 2 years of play at Duke.

One obvious problem with Thornton, though -- we'll have frequent misspellings of his last name. Just when we thought we were done with "Thorton".

Precisely, Sage. thank you.
    Can we clarify whether you do or do not actually have info on the situation as you said?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

I frankly don't care if budwom or anyone else believes or gives credit to anything I say. That's up to him, of course. I can provide certain things as facts -- at the present time, as recruiting is very fluid -- and then I have opinions which I sometimes share too. Anyone is of course free to disregard anything I say, whether it be presented as fact or opinion. I don't care. But as you know, roywhite, as do others who follow this stuff kind of closely, if Duke also looks at other PG's, that does not mean they're no longer interested in Smith, have cooled on Smith, or anything of the kind. They just don't want to put all their eggs in one basket, especially since Smith is not going to be committing anywhere anytime soon. And Derryck Thornton did outplay Smith recently in Colorado. But Duke has reaffirmed its very strong interest in Smith, even after Colorado. So if, say, Derryck Thornton were to visit campus even, say, this week, that just means there's some level of interest in Thornton and Thornton has some level of interest in seeing Duke.

Straight from the horse's mouth: "N.C. State and Duke are pushing the hardest for me right now,” Smith said. “I like Duke because it’s close to home and they want me to come in right away and contribute."

http://zagsblog.com/articles/dennis-...ks-recruiting/

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I frankly don't care if budwom or anyone else believes or gives credit to anything I say. That's up to him, of course. I can provide certain things as facts -- at the present time, as recruiting is very fluid -- and then I have opinions which I sometimes share too. Anyone is of course free to disregard anything I say, whether it be presented as fact or opinion. I don't care. But as you know, roywhite, as do others who follow this stuff kind of closely, if Duke also looks at other PG's, that does not mean they're no longer interested in Smith, have cooled on Smith, or anything of the kind. They just don't want to put all their eggs in one basket, especially since Smith is not going to be committing anywhere anytime soon. And Derryck Thornton did outplay Smith recently in Colorado. But Duke has reaffirmed its very strong interest in Smith, even after Colorado. So if, say, Derryck Thornton were to visit campus even, say, this week, that just means there's some level of interest in Thornton and Thornton has some level of interest in seeing Duke.
    Tommy, any insight into what Smith meant by this/who he was talking about?

smithjr.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    What is the likely timeframe for Smith's commitment? Summer or Fall of 2016?
    Do you mean 2015? Barring something extraordinary, he'll be attending school somewhere (hopefully Duke!) in the fall of 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    As of now, they're not in any hurry. They like Duke a lot. A lot. But they also want to enjoy the recruiting process, as many kids and families do. So I wouldn't expect anything for quite a long time here. One thing that can change things is if Duke does get involved with Thornton or offers another PG. That can put pressure, but I don't think the Smiths are the type of folks to be pressured. Just my gut. And even though he said they're not wanting an offer from Kentucky in particular, I think they do want one. Not only for the prestige, but because I think they'd be in the mix. And because Derryck Thornton has a Kentucky offer. Again, just my gut.
    In a story published by NBC Sports in May, Smith was quoted as saying he hadn't been contacted yet by Kentucky or Florida but would like to hear from them. The story also noted that he'd already received a Duke offer then. He said he wouldn't even have a list until mid-way through his junior (i.e. upcoming) year.

Let me say first I have no inside knowledge and very little premium access to recruiting info. I will say that I have two friends who are big NC State fans that both told me today that Duke was moving away from Smith according to 'one of the reliable' guys on pack insider.
    I haven't been to the site to look, but perhaps someone here is interested enough to go digging.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilFalcon View Post
    Let me say first I have no inside knowledge and very little premium access to recruiting info. I will say that I have two friends who are big NC State fans that both told me today that Duke was moving away from Smith according to 'one of the reliable' guys on pack insider.
    I haven't been to the site to look, but perhaps someone here is interested enough to go digging.
    Why would NC State insiders know what Duke's staff is thinking? They're probably hearing the same rumors we are.