Page 19 of 176 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we will get 20 to 30 point guards or 20 to 30 shooting guards. It would be nice to have that type of depth, but it is uncharacteristic of Coach K to bring in that many players (even if most of them agree to walk on).
    Just imagine all the fretting about developing the bench and the transfer rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    Allen would have been considered a blockage for Kennard too.

Jeter is more of a defensive asset from what I have read. Who knows.
    I was under the impression that he was a reliable scorer with an excellent jump hook, range to 15', and good foot work (not Jah good, though) for a really young player. On the defensive side, he has the ability to use his length to block shots and is an okay rebounder. Haven't heard of him shutting people down in the post. Like most young players, I expect him to come in more advanced on the offensive end of the court than the defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we will get 20 to 30 point guards or 20 to 30 shooting guards. It would be nice to have that type of depth, but it is uncharacteristic of Coach K to bring in that many players (even if most of them agree to walk on).
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Just imagine all the fretting about developing the bench and the transfer rumors.
    Coach K could talk to coach Cal, the so-called inventor of platoons.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Couple of updates on Tatum, Giles, and maybe Smith

There were a couple of recent updates recently from top Duke targets Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum.

Giles recounted his in-home visit with Coach K and staff in a monthly blog series for USA Today High School Sports. He had glowing things to say about the visit, calling it a "10 out of 10." He also mentioned that he'd like to decide sooner rather than later and definitely before his senior year begins. Interestingly, he acknowledged talking to other Duke targets Jayson Tatum and Dennis Smith, Jr. about a 'package deal.' He also mentions his friendship with Derryck Thornton.

The other top target Duke is courting is Jayson Tatum of the St. Louis area. Tatum recently spoke with his hometown paper the St. Louis Post-Dispatch about the allure of playing for the hometown St. Louis University Bilikins. Tatum's father played for SLU and his mother received her law degree from the school. Tatum also seems to favor committing sooner rather than later. I also found it interesting that he mentioned the possibility of playing as guard or forward in college. Could Duke roll out a lineup featuring Tatum, Ingram, Giles, and Jeter along with Derryck Thornton and/or Dennis Smith, Jr.? That would be quite a tall team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I was under the impression that he was a reliable scorer with an excellent jump hook, range to 15', and good foot work (not Jah good, though) for a really young player. On the defensive side, he has the ability to use his length to block shots and is an okay rebounder. Haven't heard of him shutting people down in the post. Like most young players, I expect him to come in more advanced on the offensive end of the court than the defensive.
    Your assessment is exactly what I have read and seen from the highlight tapes as well. He appears to be able to run the court pretty well, has a solid jump hook and some nice moves in the paint. He appears to be a strong shot blocker and needs to work on his rebounding. He's a very different body type than Jah. There is far more finesse in Jeter's game.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    Your assessment is exactly what I have read and seen from the highlight tapes as well. He appears to be able to run the court pretty well, has a solid jump hook and some nice moves in the paint. He appears to be a strong shot blocker and needs to work on his rebounding. He's a very different body type than Jah. There is far more finesse in Jeter's game.
    It must be a Jeter family trait.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Well, Smith did play the Nike circuit this past weekend. Whatever influence Adidas exerts, it didn't stop him from doing that.
    Only because there was no adidas nation game, and playing for team penny allows him to play more off ball guard. He's pretty adamant about staying adidas.

Quote Originally Posted by newclasspack View Post
    Only because there was no adidas nation game, and playing for team penny allows him to play more off ball guard. He's pretty adamant about staying adidas.
    If true, that's unfortunate for Duke. I'm pretty sure the Blue Devils will not be switching away from Nike anytime soon.

If the bold is true, as a Duke fan, I'm taking that as a positive sign. Because Duke would likely have to sell him on playing beside Derryck Thornton since I don't expect Thornton to be 1-and-done.

That said, I do agree with you that Smith is more likely to commit to State than to Duke at this point (with UNC nowhere in sight!).

It will be interesting next spring, though, if Tatum and Giles have already committed to Duke and one or both of Thornton and Grayson Allen elect to leave for the NBA. We'll see how strong those adidas ties are at that point.

If the bold is true, as a Duke fan, I'm taking that as a positive sign. Because Duke would likely have to sell him on playing beside Derryck Thornton since I don't expect Thornton to be 1-and-done.

That said, I do agree with you that Smith is more likely to commit to State than to Duke at this point (with UNC nowhere in sight!).

It will be interesting next spring, though, if Tatum and Giles have already committed to Duke and one or both of Thornton and Grayson Allen elect to leave for the NBA. We'll see how strong those adidas ties are at that point.
    Fingers crossed this happens

Fingers crossed this doesn't happen

That's where the rubber meats the road as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    Fingers crossed this happens

Fingers crossed this doesn't happen

That's where the rubber meats the road as they say.
    If Thornton or Allen have a good enough season to leave for the NBA next year I will be very happy for them. I'll be crossing my fingers that they each have such a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    If Thornton or Allen have a good enough season to leave for the NBA next year I will be very happy for them. I'll be crossing my fingers that they each have such a season.
    Fair enough. Of course I want them to play well, hopefully that goes without saying. However, you can call me selfish if you like, but I would enjoy seeing them stick around for a few years in Duke blue. One & Done talent is exciting to watch. So is a blossoming star that sticks around and turns into something special.

How much do the shoe companies pay these kids to engender such loyalty? If Adidas vs Nike is such an issue I wonder if there is an "issue" that is a little sub rosa now but could bite later.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    How much do the shoe companies pay these kids to engender such loyalty? If Adidas vs Nike is such an issue I wonder if there is an "issue" that is a little sub rosa now but could bite later.
    That's a great question and I agree, it smells fishy if that's a strong consideration. I am guessing that these shoe companies foot most of the bill when it comes to travel for the AAU teams they sponsor. Is that where the loyalty comes from?

when i said off ball imean moreso him being a scorer than a facilatator. He's still going to want to run the offense through him and have the ball in his hands. TBH Thornton is gonna have to leave for you guys to get a legit shot, but i'm pretty sure same can be said for us and Cat Barber.

Nothing? tbh if you grow up playing a sport (particularly basketball), you're going to have a strong shoe preference regardless. That being said Shoes companies pay whoever they can legally, to make sure that the kid stays loyal. IE Andrew Wiggins grew up playing with CIA Bounce which is pretty much a Nike subsidiary at this point, but Adidas had more room to leverage and he made the jump "officially" to Adidas after he declared but he ended up at an Adidas school. Don't think that Adidas wasn't in his ear early on so they could be in his pocket later. Now look who coaches the Adidas Sponsored Andrew Wiggins Team Loaded, NC... Dennis Smith Sr. And he gets paid to do so. Now this has been going on forever but in the age of no privacy its just been shown in the light and i honestly have no problem with it, to a degree. What Nike did to Louisville with the Blakeney Commit was messed up and crossing the line for a company as far as i'm concerned, just like what Maker's handler is doing is crossing the line for a handler IMO.

In theory they don't pay the players. But they do fund the AAU programs and sometimes the high schools that the players play for, and the coaches of those AAU programs/high schools have influence on the players. There is also the influence directly on the player by dangling the theoretical possibility of a shoe contract down the road for being loyal to the brand.

There is also the possibility of shady deals being in place even while the kid is still in high school. But the first two points are completely/mostly above board and can be a strong part of the pull. Not all guys end up staying true to the brand, but I think it is a strong factor to be considered, even in a clean scenario where the player/family is not getting directly funded to stay with the brand.

Nothing? tbh if you grow up playing a sport (particularly basketball), you're going to have a strong shoe preference regardless. .
    A few years ago, someone (I think Grantland) did an article on shoes and how shoe loyalty might help reduce injuries. They used Grant Hill as the main example. Grant played in Nike at Duke and moved to Fila in the NBA when they signed him to a huge contract. Fila was new to the basketball arena. Grant suffered most of his injuries while wearing Fila. Later in his career he moved back to Nike and had a year or two in Adidas. The years he was back in "legitimate" basketball shoes he was relatively healthy.

Personally, I have fewer aches and pains when I use Nike vs any other shoe product.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    A few years ago, someone (I think Grantland) did an article on shoes and how shoe loyalty might help reduce injuries. They used Grant Hill as the main example. Grant played in Nike at Duke and moved to Fila in the NBA when they signed him to a huge contract. Fila was new to the basketball arena. Grant suffered most of his injuries while wearing Fila. Later in his career he moved back to Nike and had a year or two in Adidas. The years he was back in "legitimate" basketball shoes he was relatively healthy.

Personally, I have fewer aches and pains when I use Nike vs any other shoe product.
    Most of my Sneakers are Nike or Jordan.. But when i played basketball. i was strictly Adidas. i was flatfooted and they just felt better.

Nothing? tbh if you grow up playing a sport (particularly basketball), you're going to have a strong shoe preference regardless. That being said Shoes companies pay whoever they can legally, to make sure that the kid stays loyal. IE Andrew Wiggins grew up playing with CIA Bounce which is pretty much a Nike subsidiary at this point, but Adidas had more room to leverage and he made the jump "officially" to Adidas after he declared but he ended up at an Adidas school. Don't think that Adidas wasn't in his ear early on so they could be in his pocket later. Now look who coaches the Adidas Sponsored Andrew Wiggins Team Loaded, NC... Dennis Smith Sr. And he gets paid to do so. Now this has been going on forever but in the age of no privacy its just been shown in the light and i honestly have no problem with it, to a degree. What Nike did to Louisville with the Blakeney Commit was messed up and crossing the line for a company as far as i'm concerned, just like what Maker's handler is doing is crossing the line for a handler IMO.
    I concede you know more about this stuff than I do, newclasspack. And it sounds like you probably have better info on the Smith recruitment.

I'll just say that not many recruits play both circuits at the same time. I think Smith is the only big-name guy playing both in the class of 2016, and I have to think adidas isn't too thrilled about that. Whatever his allegiance is to adidas, it's not quite at the Jordan-wrapped-in-a-flag-for-Nike level yet.