Page 110 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 3516
    Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    If it's possible for Jefferson to red-shirt this year due to the broken foot, does that impact the last available roster spot being held open for Bolden in the '16 class? *Apologies if this has been previously discussed and I missed it.
    First you must answer one question, or be thrown into the Gorge of Eternal Peril:

Does a walking boot disqualify him from being a "walk" on?

What is your favorite color?

That's two questions.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    There's only one roster spot remaining if Ingram returns for his sophomore year. But if Ingram leaves for the NBA (as seems very likely), then we could have both Jefferson and Bolden on the roster next year.
    Would that prevent White from committing?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    First you must answer one question, or be thrown into the Gorge of Eternal Peril:

That's two questions.
    Q1. No it does not, but being a scholarship player does.
    Q2. Duke blue...duh!

Would that prevent White from committing?
    If Jefferson shuts it down and decides to come back next year, and Bolden commits, and Allen decides to return, then that would prevent White from committing if he wants a scholarship guarantee. One or all of those may not happen before White decides, or at all.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    If Jefferson shuts it down and decides to come back next year, and Bolden commits, and Allen decides to return, then that would prevent White from committing if he wants a scholarship guarantee. One or all of those may not happen before White decides, or at all.
    Which is exactly why I ask. If White pulls the trigger quickly, does that put everything else in jeopardy with the Jefferson/Bolden situation? If White is offered a full scholly, and he takes it quickly...things could get tricky or un-doable. Not to drag out this conversation again, but I'm hoping White is a preferred walk-on to keep Justin company.

Which is exactly why I ask. If White pulls the trigger quickly, does that put everything else in jeopardy with the Jefferson/Bolden situation? If White is offered a full scholly, and he takes it quickly...things could get tricky or un-doable. Not to drag out this conversation again, but I'm hoping White is a preferred walk-on to keep Justin company.
    It won't put anything in jeopardy. The school is no doubt aware of the possible scenarios. I'm sure they will be honest and forthright with White. But Jefferson's status will take precedent.

That being said, I can't imagine that he's actually going to sit out the rest of the year. So I think it's probably a moot point.

But regardless of Jefferson's status, I'd prefer White to be a preferred walk-on rather than handed a scholarship. I don't see the value in locking up another scholarship on a guy who isn't going to play.

Omar Yurtseven

http://www.scout.com/player/205598-omer-yurtseven?s=167

Another international prospect? He is a 7'0 230lb C from Turkey with interest from UC-Irvine and is now listed as a Duke prospect on scout.com. I noticed a few days ago that Jeff Capel (and maybe Scheyer) followed him on Twitter recently.

A backup for Bolden and Fernando?

Does our coaching staff have some new fetish for international basketball prospects?

Is he seen as a preferred walk-on?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

That's two questions.
    Q1. No it does not, but being a scholarship player does.
    Q2. Duke blue...duh!
    I think we may now have more posts mocking/complaining about the argument than posts in the argument (and in multiple threads no less). If you want others to stay on topic, it is probably better to... stay on topic.

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post

Another international prospect? He is a 7'0 230lb C from Turkey with interest from UC-Irvine and is now listed as a Duke prospect on scout.com. I noticed a few days ago that Jeff Capel (and maybe Scheyer) followed him on Twitter recently.

Does our coaching staff have some new fetish for international basketball prospects?

Is he related to Ivan Renko?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post

Interesting for sure. If he's 7', how tall is the guy guarding him in that picture?

Interesting for sure. If he's 7', how tall is the guy guarding him in that picture?
    Wow! Good point ... the guy with the beard guarding him in all three photos is significantly taller -- 4 to 6 inches, I would guess ... maybe more. Let
    s check him out!

Yurtseven plays for powerhouse Fenerbahce in Turkey and you can see his stats from the links below.

EuroLeague: http://www.euroleague.net/competitio...asoncode=E2015
    Domestic League: http://www.bsl.org.tr/bsl/Oyuncular?...n=156&Lig=7369

He was known as a prospect for a little while, but he really burst into global consciousness during their exhibitions against NBA teams. He had 8 points and 7 rebounds in 15 minutes in a win over the Nets and then 4 points and 5 rebounds in 12 minutes in a loss to the Thunder.

Now that the team is in competitive games he has mostly only seen mop-up duty. Fenerbahce is a powerhouse and right now is probably favorites to win EuroLeague so him not playing much is not an indictment of his ability. It is interesting if he does consider college since he is already at a level where he will be getting reasonably big money offers from Turkish teams, which does always raise the spectre of eligibility concerns. I do not see him moving from one place to another just to sit on the bench. Zeljko Obradovic, his coach, may be the most accomplished in Europe right now so this would probably be a move for playing time and not just for coaching reasons.

DraftExpress has him 9th in their latest 2017 mock draft, which I think is a bit high, but is an indicator of where some people see him. He would probably be less of a project than Fernando, but would probably need an adjustment period. I have heard that he will be at the Basketball Without Borders Camp at the All Star festivities in Toronto, so I am sure there will be plenty of news on him from there this weekend.

The player guarding him in the scout.com profiles is Georgios Papagiannis. He actually briefly went to high school here, but returned to Europe as an amateur (and teammate of DeMarcus Nelson) last season and then opted to turn pro instead of going to college (NC State, Oregon, and St. John's were among the schools pursuing him heavily through the summer). I think we were linked with him at points, but some international players seem to mistake initial contact with firmer offers so it is hard to know how interested we might or might not have been in any number of international players over the years who mention Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Yurtseven plays for powerhouse Fenerbahce in Turkey and you can see his stats from the links below.

EuroLeague: http://www.euroleague.net/competitio...asoncode=E2015
    Domestic League: http://www.bsl.org.tr/bsl/Oyuncular?...n=156&Lig=7369

He was known as a prospect for a little while, but he really burst into global consciousness during their exhibitions against NBA teams. He had 8 points and 7 rebounds in 15 minutes in a win over the Nets and then 4 points and 5 rebounds in 12 minutes in a loss to the Thunder.

Now that the team is in competitive games he has mostly only seen mop-up duty. Fenerbahce is a powerhouse and right now is probably favorites to win EuroLeague so him not playing much is not an indictment of his ability. It is interesting if he does consider college since he is already at a level where he will be getting reasonably big money offers from Turkish teams, which does always raise the spectre of eligibility concerns. I do not see him moving from one place to another just to sit on the bench. Zeljko Obradovic, his coach, may be the most accomplished in Europe right now so this would probably be a move for playing time and not just for coaching reasons.

DraftExpress has him 9th in their latest 2017 mock draft, which I think is a bit high, but is an indicator of where some people see him. He would probably be less of a project than Fernando, but would probably need an adjustment period. I have heard that he will be at the Basketball Without Borders Camp at the All Star festivities in Toronto, so I am sure there will be plenty of news on him from there this weekend.

The player guarding him in the scout.com profiles is Georgios Papagiannis. He actually briefly went to high school here, but returned to Europe as an amateur (and teammate of DeMarcus Nelson) last season and then opted to turn pro instead of going to college (NC State, Oregon, and St. John's were among the schools pursuing him heavily through the summer). I think we were linked with him at points, but some international players seem to mistake initial contact with firmer offers so it is hard to know how interested we might or might not have been in any number of international players over the years who mention Duke.
    Would he have Amateur status issues if he's playing for a club team of some kind already in the EuroLeague?

If it's possible for Jefferson to red-shirt this year due to the broken foot, does that impact the last available roster spot being held open for Bolden in the '16 class? *Apologies if this has been previously discussed and I missed it.
    DBBC et al, I don't intend to sound aggressive in my response, but I want to highlight that there is next to zero chance that Amile redshirts. It's exceedingly unlikely. First of all, he'd have to miss every remaining game which is likely to be ~10-12 games. That seems crazy given that he's working out on the court now. Plus K's comments lead me to believe that while he's not "over the pain" or whatever he's also not in a full-body cast, so realistically he's a step or two (no pun intended) away from being able to lace them up. The other thing is that he's so clearly impactful for this team that there's zero chance that he's able to play but chooses to sit out for a redshirt possibility. In theory, Amile is the piece of the puzzle that ratchets this team into a title contender - no chance he willingly chooses to sit out and shun that theory/possibility. Even if it turns out not to be true, he's obviously going to chase that possibility and calculate the actual probability of it coming to bear later on when it's over (in other words, it happened or it didn't). So, in my mind, it all comes down to his being physically able to play which seems exceedingly likely to happen in the next ~10-12 games (~1.5 months).

- Chillin

Yes, plus

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    DBBC et al, I don't intend to sound aggressive in my response, but I want to highlight that there is next to zero chance that Amile redshirts. It's exceedingly unlikely. First of all, he'd have to miss every remaining game which is likely to be ~10-12 games. That seems crazy given that he's working out on the court now. Plus K's comments lead me to believe that while he's not "over the pain" or whatever he's also not in a full-body cast, so realistically he's a step or two (no pun intended) away from being able to lace them up. The other thing is that he's so clearly impactful for this team that there's zero chance that he's able to play but chooses to sit out for a redshirt possibility. In theory, Amile is the piece of the puzzle that ratchets this team into a title contender - no chance he willingly chooses to sit out and shun that theory/possibility. Even if it turns out not to be true, he's obviously going to chase that possibility and calculate the actual probability of it coming to bear later on when it's over (in other words, it happened or it didn't). So, in my mind, it all comes down to his being physically able to play which seems exceedingly likely to happen in the next ~10-12 games (~1.5 months).

- Chillin
    There is also the question of whether Amile would want to return next year, even if he doesn't play again this year. I think it's a bit presumptuous to assume he would. He's been geared to playing at most four years of college ball. It's very possible he'd decide he wants to move on to whatever professional opportunities await.

I'm hoping he comes back soon and we can end these discussions!

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

- Chillin
    I'm not sure I agree with your analysis. First off, we don't really know how close he is to coming back. Every time we hear something positive it is followed with words of caution. Clearly the foot is still in pain and K isn't going to play him until they know it is healed. The longer it takes for him to get back on the court the less of a chance Duke becomes a title contender. And the decision shouldn't necessarily be only about this season's possibilities. I'm sure that Jefferson would like to make a living playing basketball. The fewer games he plays this year, the fewer games scouts get to see him play. If he redshirts and really works on his outside shot over the summer he increases his chances at making an nba roster or getting a better contract in Europe. Additionally, right now it looks like Duke has a better chance at being a title contender next year than this year. A second ring would be quite nice, would it not?

Look, I agree that it isn't terribly likely, especially if he is capable of coming back in the next week or two, but if he misses the next 3-4 games (all of which are going to be tough) and it might be too late for him to make a big difference. If Duke is sitting 7-7 or 8-7 when he comes back, we're looking at a 6th seed and very little chance of winning an ACC or NCAA championship. At that point, taking the redshirt may be the smartest decision for him.

Would he have Amateur status issues if he's playing for a club team of some kind already in the EuroLeague?
    If he is not getting paid (and has never gotten paid), he'd be eligible. The European model is different than the US - club teams have junior teams, and players on the junior teams sometimes get to play on the senior teams. Sometimes it is for pay, sometimes not.

Re Yurtseven: ESPN would not be able to resist putting together a Duke vs UNCheats* promo, eg

UNC vs Duke
    Seventh Woods vs Seven Yurts
    Seventh Heaven

Seven o'clock
    Saturday

ESPN

* maybe, much to my disappointment, they'll dump the banners in exchange for no post-season ban beyond this year.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Did you mean to omit the fact that Saturday is the seventh day?

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Did you mean to omit the fact that Saturday is the seventh day?
    Nope. The Forum here has more than a third grade education.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life