Crush on El Sid?

What is with this man-crush on El Sid and NC State? Now, I know they're not the hated rival that is UNC-CH, but the praise for this guy is way beyond the typical low-key respect DBR shows most other schools.

The latest is on State's impressive recruiting. This on the heels of the "It was superb, brilliant basketball, and we’re richer for having seen it. Bravo, El Sid, and welcome back, Pack. It’s nice to have you back." Well yes, they did have an impressive run but is it really important whether State is up while WFU is down, or vice-versa?

But go to the HOF inductee, Ol' Roy, and you get this: "For Duke fans, it will be to an extent a nauseating display of everything disagreeable about UNC"

Apparently the difference in treatment is because one is Carolina and the other is both a) not Carolina and b) a team that also hates Carolina.

Although I too mark the calendar for UNC-CH as the key games of the year, this syrupy love for State goes waaay too far IMO, and frankly the occasional gratuitous shot at UNC goes a bit too far also. Here's one reason why: I was watching the Duke-Arkansas 1994 title game and they had Dean Smith on at halftime. The man was full of praise for Duke, for K, and so forth. Sure, he relished beating us as we did him, but that's the game. I can't see him stooping to the level of saying that Coach K's induction would be "to some extent a nauseating display of everything disagreeable about Duke."

You stay classy, San D - I mean, DBR! We shouldn't fawningly admire the rival of our rival - it's not the same as looking in the mirror. Not with that horrid red blazer, especially.

Share these feelings with the group

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

You stay classy, San D - I mean, DBR! We shouldn't fawningly admire the rival of our rival - it's not the same as looking in the mirror. Not with that horrid red blazer, especially.
    Which do you think was worse...

Lowe's red blazer or

Norm Sloan's plaid disaster?

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post

Lowe's red blazer or

Anticipating a poll, I vote for Sloan's plaid disaster as worse!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post

Lowe's red blazer or

I vote for Norm Sloan's plaid disaster.
    Bob Green

I'm not old enough to remember Norm Sloan's sartorial splendor. Jimmy V was at NCSU when I went to Duke. I'm not even sure I've seen footage of Norm Sloan. But IIRC, when I was in HS, Guy Lewis of Houston was a plaid disaster par excellence. [It would have been really funny if he were Al Lewis instead.]

We should be thankful K does not wear a royal blue blazer.

I think it's healthy that the DBR captains have someone available should anything happen to Bill Russell.

I'm not old enough to remember Norm Sloan's sartorial splendor...
    Not old enough to remember Norm Sloan and his ridiculous red plaid sports coat? I'm suprised. Due to your eloquent prose, I thought you were an old fart like me.
    Bob Green

I’ll give him some praise, bottom line he’s getting it done with recruiting (let’s hope we don’t strike out 3 years in a row with quality big men: Wright, Patterson and ???).

Thanks Bob!

I'm turning 40 this fall. Still feel 17, but I look 47 (I'm getting follicularly challenged). Arrived at Duke as a football fan. Didn't take long to switch allegiances (Dawkins' senior year was my freshman year). But you know, a 4-7 football team with some close losses (such as 2 pts at WV, fall 1985) looks really good right now.

BTW, congrats on your recent retirement.

So am I the only one who thinks that this board is a bit too cuddly toward NCSU? I don't expect anyone here to lack, as I do, a white-hot hatred for UNC, but the gushing admiration expressed for NCSU and El Sid really strikes me as weird. Guess it's just me. I'm OK with that.

I think the DBR writers have rightly recognized that having better opponents and bringing back some of the old school traditions in the ACC is a good thing.

Speaking in general ACC terms, State's been too long mired in mediocrity. Duke, Carolina, and the whole ACC will benefit from a State resurgence.

I applaud DBR's recognition of that.

Noble sentiments, Slackerb, but in-conference, it is a zero-sum game. The whole ACC cannot, in a mathematical / W-L sense, benefit from State's resurgence.

If, however, you are talking about TV revenue sharing, maybe a stronger State and weaker others will have a net increase in eyeballs. But that's far from definite.

There's no question that Duke-Carolina is the key revenue rivalry in the conference. Historically, yes, State is part of that troika and it seems like good old days. But if we instead have a MD, VT, GT or UVA in the mix instead of NCSU, you add a whole lot of eyeballs from those states, my guess would be more than you'd lose with a mediocre NCSU. JMO.

Oh, come on, now cspan -- admit it. This handsome guy is deserving of a little DBR lovin!

Noble sentiments, Slackerb, but in-conference, it is a zero-sum game. The whole ACC cannot, in a mathematical / W-L sense, benefit from State's resurgence.
    I strongly disagree. The ACC was born on Tobacco Road, as they say, and it absolutely suffers when one of the Tobacco Road schools is down. By the same token, when those schools are up, the conference definitely benefits, more than it does from, say, Virginia Tech's recent (moderate) successes. You're correct in pointing out that it's a zero-sum game in terms of wins and losses, but the pluses of traditional powers being on top are not quantifiable in that sense.

I, for one, pretty much agree with DBR's sentiments on El Sid. I've always found State to be rather inoffensive and their fans thoroughly enjoyable company (I've sat in a sea of red on several ACC Tourney Saturdays and done my part to win a few Wuffpack partisans over). Of course I'd start singing a different tune if State completely turned the tables and made us into whipping boys, but isn't it more fun to beat them after considering that there may be a chance of them beating us than, say, crushing them by 40 time and again?

There are plenty of us who are glad to have the 'Pack back, because we recognize that it's more like the old days, which were in many ways better than the days of Hurricanes and Hokies.

Well I will agree with you to this extent - I would much prefer the 8-team ACC as it was. 8 is a good number for tournaments (being = 2^3), it is good for 16 conference games, home and away, etc. FSU joining was unfortunate IMO; the other 3, disastrous in all but a financial sense, and BC, though a private school like Duke, is the worst of the lot in terms of a preposterous lack of proximity (runner up to that is Miami).

But I don't get a greater thrill out of State being 3rd best in ACC (assuming Duke/UNC are 1/2) than if it were MD, Wake, or GT. But if Clemson were 3rd best, well, I admit, I'd prefer State doing well to them.

The benefit comes with ACC not being viewed as top heavy, and NC St, Clemson, MD, GA T whoever winning more OOC games. SDespite cintinually winning the ACC-B10 challenge, the ACC has lost ground to PAC10 for instance this year as best basketball conference, and if second, not a great deal ahead of Big East, SEC.

Lost ground to PAC10? On what measure? IIRC, Immediately prior to this past spring's NCAA tournament, the ACC was the top conference according to the Sagarin ratings.