Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    1. used book stores - if I had the travel opportunity I'd put Portland OR's Powell's City of Books at the top of the list followed by pretty much the entire city of Cambridge MA. If I had to stay home I guess the three local Nice Price Books would head the list.

2. Regular independent (like The Regulator) and/or specialty bookstores like a travel book and map store or a store specializing in nature/outdoor/natural science books.
    I *heart* Powells in Portland; I spent a whole DAY there once, just browsing from floor to floor. I think I walked out with 12 books, too. Dangerous.

If you're a fan of the Regulator, you'd like Eliot Bay Books up here; it's a sizeable shop with new & used books; sponsors a TON of readings and lectures, etc. And it's got a great lunch stand in the basement, perfect for dining & browsing through your latest purchases. Hmm, I think I know where I'm headed this weekend.

But I agree with Windsor; as much as I love book stores and my library, I don't think I could spend $2K in one fell swoop in any (unless it were a rare book -- know of anyone with a signed original print of "Profiles in Courage"?)

I could spend 2K on books, easy. How much does the latest edition of the OED cost, for instance? Mine is quite old at this point.

I'll be visiting Powell's next month on a work trip.

I LOVE travel book stores and map stores. I love maps in general.