Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Favorite Types Of Stores

Okay, BB season is still such a long time away, so...

If someone gave you say.. $6,000 -- with $2,000 to spend at each store, where would you go?

Not necessarily the name of the store, but what TYPE of store.

for me:

1) a great bookstore.

2) a wonderful sporting goods store (L.L.Bean in Maine, if I could be transported there without having to drive it from L.A.) (damn, I love it)

3) a wonderful hardware store.

Outside of that, there's nothing that comes close -- although I enjoy good thrift stores a lot.

I love bookstores - but I don't think they would love me, since I buy their coffee, pick out books I like, write down the ISBN and buy it on Amazon. I do love buying from good used book stores but haven't found one nearby (Pleasanton, CA) yet.

I would spend them like this:
    1) anywhere that sells HD-TV Does Amazon count?
    2) Newegg - I'm sure I can think of $2000 worth of peripherals I can use
    3) Kohl's - I like cheap clothes, and I like business casual.

I can only say Apple Store for $2000 of it?

I think we need a little clarification...

are only shopping sites in our out?

I ask as I do more shopping online than at stores, other than groceries...

(1) Brooks Brothers
    (2) PGA Superstore
    (3) Bang and Olufsen

2) a wonderful sporting goods store (L.L.Bean in Maine, if I could be transported there without having to drive it from L.A.) (damn, I love it)

Did know that if you get the LL Bean Visa card you earn LL Bean dollars and get free shipping? Of course you still can't browse the flagship store without flying or driving over here, but free shipping can sometimes be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    (1) Brooks Brothers
    (2) PGA Superstore
    (3) Bang and Olufsen
    Unfortunately $2,000 won't go far at Band and Olufsen...

I'd second the Newegg mention as I recently specced out a great computer for around $1,000, doubling the money would make it ridiculous.

I've been spending a bunch of money on books recently, although mainly on Amazon. I did actually go into a B&N the other day and buy some, though.

I'd put a wine store third. Around here there are a couple good ones, or CostCo has great prices on some good wines.

Hmmm

1) Talbots (clothes) and/or Nordstrom (dressy clothes & shoes)
    2) Lighthouse Diving (or LeisurePro.com if online shopping counts)
    3) REI

I'm told I'm a fairly atypical girl in that I don't really like to 'shop' (I prefer to purchase); I hate Malls; and I don't use credit cards unless I absolutely have to (e.g. car rentals.)

Oh, wait, I might have to remove REI and add TicketMaster; I could easily blow $2K on tickets to events in the greater Seattle area. Symphony; Spamalot; good concerts and a Seahawks game or two.

1. Talbots
    2. DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse)
    3. Great Yarns in Raleigh

food store

I really like a good food store. Really this is one of the highlights of modern American living. Foodstores have gotten better over the last 20 some years. With good coffee in them, sushi, good baked goods, good delis, microbrews and good wines and even more organic and off beat items. I am not sure I could drop $2,000 in a Whole Foods or Wegmans but if someone else was buying I could do several hundred easy.

1) bookstores, most any kind. Love'em. I always give a brick-and-mortar store first shot at my business, but if I'm looking for something they don't have in stock I buy it online.

2) music stores. Ditto.

3) nice clothing stores.

4) furniture/"lifestyle" stores a la Crate & Barrel and, even better (if rare these days), local variations on same.

5) lately I've been going to the neighborhood hardware store a lot, and also frequenting The Container Store in the same building, in both cases because I've been doing some house projects.

Sadly, I don't list bike shops. Very, very few have what I want, unless I'm buying serious hardware (e.g., my new bike) or having work done (I always go to the same favorite mechanic). But for jerseys, on-bike nutrition, accessories, etc., I am a frequent customer of several online vendors.

I too have an aversion to malls and, fortunately, seldom have to go to one. I also am totally freaked out by large supermarkets and "home improvement" stores, which are just too big and disorienting for me. And we don't have time to list my reasons for hating Wal-Mart.

1. Sam's Club and/or Costco
    2. Apple store
    3. PGA Superstore

If they don't sell it, I don't really need it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    2. Apple store
    Nice, Oz!

I guess mine would be:
    1. Apple Store
    2. Amazon
    3. Brooks

hhmmmm, interesting question.
    Think I'll answer with the following:

1) Target
    2) Some discount place
    3) Blue Ridge Cinema ($1.50 movies) for about a week!
    Or, in exchange for Blue Ridge, I'll swap it out with Babbages or another electronics store like EA or something.

1. Sam's or Costco
    2. Hardware store
    3. Men's Warehouse (Nice Clothing)

L.L. Beans is always a good choice, been to the Freeport, ME store 20+ times. Can walk out with clothes, camping Gear or a canoe. Got to love that!
    The Bass-Pro Outdoor World in Orlando is also a good choice.

1) A big, 2000 dollar TV.

2) 2000 dollars worth of tiny little toy soldiers.

3) 2000 dollars worth of tiny little toy soldiers from a different toy soldier store.

I hate stores

2000 dollars' worth of chocolate pudding to roll around in.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Unfortunately $2,000 won't go far at Band and Olufsen...

I'd second the Newegg mention as I recently specced out a great computer for around $1,000, doubling the money would make it ridiculous.

I've been spending a bunch of money on books recently, although mainly on Amazon. I did actually go into a B&N the other day and buy some, though.

I'd put a wine store third. Around here there are a couple good ones, or CostCo has great prices on some good wines.
    I know . . . but it may at least give me a reason to be in the store in the first place. With 2000 dollars of cost defrayed I might be able to start looking at some things!

2000k per store...hmmmm

1. Hardware store
    2. a way cool electronics store
    3. PetEdge.com (there is always cool dog stuff I want, but don't really need)

I initially thought bookstore, but I'm not sure where I would put another 2k worth of books (and I'd need more than 2000 at the hardware store to build an addition to house my library)

1. used book stores - if I had the travel opportunity I'd put Portland OR's Powell's City of Books at the top of the list followed by pretty much the entire city of Cambridge MA. If I had to stay home I guess the three local Nice Price Books would head the list.

2. Regular independent (like The Regulator) and/or specialty bookstores like a travel book and map store or a store specializing in nature/outdoor/natural science books.

3. A bike shop or outdoor rec store, probably.