Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    I highly recommend the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, perhaps sitting by the fire with some winter songs playing off the ipod dock, and staring at the flames thinking about those who have cleared the roads and cut up the trees and restrung the wires because that's what they do for a living.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/gordo...itzgerald.html

(So what if it isn't November? Don't bother me with trifles...)
    I had half a Great Lakes Christmas Ale last PM. Will finish it tonight. The porter you suggested is excellent.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

As if we didn't have enough to contend with considering all the wintry mix we've received, now we have this "monster" threatening our fair city:

1794546_10100598284435004_1275625174_n.jpg

Well, at least Godzilla is gone:

1660914_10203133900053835_1576616739_n.jpg

Just had some thunder-sleet, very nice. Apocalypse next, right? I did see Lucifer yesterday!! On tv at least. Saw Paris Hilton beheaded a couple days ago-been a fun week

mother puss bucket!

Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Power still out, this part of Georgia got rocked. Trees and lines down everywhere. Thankfully everyone is fine if not a bit chilly.

12.5 inches at my house in NW NC. Crazy. My poor dog can't even do her business it's so deep!

Worst appears to be over

Outside my window, I had two tiny (but with a strong current) rivers of melting ice running south down Boulevard for about 6 hours today.

It was great to see sun and blue skies. I hope those without power are back on the grid soon!

Cabin Fever

We lost power a few times yesterday, but our local EMC did a great job in restoring it. Our longest outage was 2 hours. Cable and broadband didn't fare as well. It went out around noon yesterday, and came back around 1 pm today.

Being trapped inside got a little stressful, so I herded up the wife, two puppies, and two cats, pushed them out the back door and locked it.

Don't worry, they are fine. After my two hour nap, I let them back in. 80% of them were happy to see me.

Yay, power! Yay, heat!

Need the power back on, it's supposed to be close to 80 degrees next week. From heat to A/C . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yay, power! Yay, heat!

Need the power back on, it's supposed to be close to 80 degrees next week. From heat to A/C . . . .
    Glad you have power now... how's the situation with fallen trees?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Glad you have power now... how's the situation with fallen trees?
    Pretty bad, DiBD. It will take weeks or months to clear up fully. Some still expected to be without power for a week or more.

Hats off to Georgia Power and the out-of-state volunteers that helped with this. Really hard to grasp the geographical scope of this event. Not Katrina, but not a localized tornado either. Major props to first responders of all shapes, sizes and kinds. About 600,000 houses/businesses without power in Georgia alone. Wow.

Hope all is well up there, been following your posts on various media in the small intervals we had internet/bars. Biggest lesson to me -- cell phones and cell internet does not work well in a mass emergency. I'll put that in the old memory bank for next time.

As always, thanks for your kind thoughts and wishes. -OPK

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Pretty bad, DiBD. It will take weeks or months to clear up fully. Some still expected to be without power for a week or more.

Hats off to Georgia Power and the out-of-state volunteers that helped with this. Really hard to grasp the geographical scope of this event. Not Katrina, but not a localized tornado either. Major props to first responders of all shapes, sizes and kinds. About 600,000 houses/businesses without power in Georgia alone. Wow.

Hope all is well up there, been following your posts on various media in the small intervals we had internet/bars. Biggest lesson to me -- cell phones and cell internet does not work well in a mass emergency. I'll put that in the old memory bank for next time.

As always, thanks for your kind thoughts and wishes. -OPK
    Overall good news... having lived through some severe storms of various types, what you've described about the widespread damage and long path to recovery are familiar.

One thing which has not changed, much like a soap opera or "story" as ladies of a certain age would say, is the tangent some fans are on since the game was called off Wednesday. The nasty comments and persistence in uttering them would fit right in with the report about the Miami Dolphins locker room problems.