Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    They are calling for a major ice storm in Atlanta on Wednesday, with widespread power outages. With my luck, power will go out around 8:59pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I am fully prepared for this storm in every way except that one. I honestly don't know what I would do. I guess I will just have my iPad ready with a full charge and stream the game on cellular data if I have to (hello, overage charges).
    . . . and right on cue, my i-phone crapped out last night. If my power goes out, someone please send me score updates via smoke signals.

. . . and right on cue, my i-phone crapped out last night. If my power goes out, someone please send me score updates via smoke signals.
    Assume 82-50 if you don't hear otherwise.

Yeah, my power has been out for about 90 minutes now. Don't really care until 9:00 tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Here in Asheville, expecting 6 to 10 inches tomorrow. There is snow denying it. It's snow laughing matter around here the way these nuts drive.
    It's for true. I cut my teeth in winter driving up in Vermont, so I'm fairly confident with my skills. Here in Asheville though, when the person in front of you is driving 8 miles an hour and the guy in the big pickup behind you is driving 45, you are in a bad spot. If I can, I just stay home and wait for it to melt. Usually takes about 48 hours at the worst.

Now then, tonight is a different matter entirely. If I lose power between 9pm and 11pm, I might have a meltdown. Will have to scour for stations on my wind-up radio.

I live about a mile from Hudson Grill on Peachtree (in Brookhaven). I am trying to figure out if they have a backup generator and will show the game ... I think a short hike in the ice is well worth it! Any other backup plans?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I live about a mile from Hudson Grill on Peachtree (in Brookhaven). I am trying to figure out if they have a backup generator and will show the game ... I think a short hike in the ice is well worth it! Any other backup plans?
    My last backup plan is to get my wife drunk so that she passes out, then use her i-phone. If that doesn't work, I will get myself drunk so that I pass out.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Congrats to Jason Evans for having his post-apocalyptic photo of Atlanta grocery store shelves stripped bare posted on Slate's Ice-Pocalypse blog this evening

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...eep_south.html
    Here's the photo... for all of you who don't follow my wonderful twitter feed

I took it at a local Publix last night when I went out to get the one thing we desperately needed that evening... marshmallows!

Nothing says cold weather hibernating like a nice fire and some s'mores!

-Jason "if this storm knocks out my power at 9pm tonight, I'm gonna lay a beat down on Mother Nature!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    It's for true. I cut my teeth in winter driving up in Vermont, so I'm fairly confident with my skills. Here in Asheville though, when the person in front of you is driving 8 miles an hour and the guy in the big pickup behind you is driving 45, you are in a bad spot. If I can, I just stay home and wait for it to melt. Usually takes about 48 hours at the worst.

Now then, tonight is a different matter entirely. If I lose power between 9pm and 11pm, I might have a meltdown. Will have to scour for stations on my wind-up radio.
    Hiwire is showing the game tonight. They have a 120 inch projector screen!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Assume 82-50 if you don't hear otherwise.

Yeah, my power has been out for about 90 minutes now. Don't really care until 9:00 tonight.
    OPK, I woulda sporked you if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    OPK, I woulda sporked you if I could.
    Thanks, kind thoughts are all the reward I need.

Sounds like the game may get bumped, which is the smart thing to do but for the $$$$$$$$ issues.

Thanks, kind thoughts are all the reward I need.

Sounds like the game may get bumped, which is the smart thing to do but for the $$$$$$$$ issues.
    Sometimes Mother Nature reminds us that money is not the be all and end all.

I understand that couple of ECU football payers were in a vehicle accident earlier today. They were on their way to do weight training. One was reported injured very seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Sometimes Mother Nature reminds us that money is not the be all and end all.

I understand that couple of ECU football payers were in a vehicle accident earlier today. They were on their way to do weight training. One was reported injured very seriously.
    Prayers if true.

Nature>man.

Prayers if true.

Nature>man.
    "Mother Nature always bats last," as my uncle said to me recently.

The Georgia governor has nothing on the North Carolina governor. When it came time to make a statement to the citizens about inclement weather and safety on the roads, our governor, the former mayor of Charlotte, told the citizens not to put their on "stupid hats." It was already too late. There was gridlock around the Dean Dome at 2P, folks determined to get to the game.

Happy to report that Cabbagetown still has power!!!

As I work from home, it has been a completely normal day for me, except that the walk to the gym downstairs was damn cold!

Could have been a lot worse, I think. Eight hour radar showed 6-7 hours of sleet/freezing rain in the Triangle but, as I look out my window, I see very few twigs/small branches down on our street and some of the 4-5" of snow has been melted and replaced with an icy glaze. Brining apparently helped as NCDOT crews are making major progress with clearing primary and secondary roads now that the gridlock has cleared. Forecast still sucks as 2-3 hours of freezing rain are predicted early afternoon, then temperatures rising to the mid-30s as more snow arrives late afternoon/early evening and then lows in the mid to upper 20s tonight. Any folks reporting in from east-central Georgia (yea, that's you OPK) or SC? 25K without power in Wake County. Haven't seen any Durham County reports regarding power outages.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Had about 5 inches of snow by early evening and then a switch to mostly sleet where I am (a little west of Winston-Salem). Then around 8:15 this morning, the precip switched back to all snow, and it is currently snowing like crazy. The final product could be a real mess.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Had about 5 inches of snow by early evening and then a switch to mostly sleet where I am (a little west of Winston-Salem). Then around 8:15 this morning, the precip switched back to all snow, and it is currently snowing like crazy. The final product could be a real mess.
    I concur with this description! I live a bit northwest of WS. The snow falling now is big, fluffy and falling at a brisk rate. The snowfall is adding depth very quickly to the snow and ice already on the ground. I finally went out to get the paper because it was being covered up and lost in the snow. The snowfall is expected to continue into the afternoon. When the time comes to clear the roads, it's going to take a while to do so!

In western Philly burbs, we had about 8" of snow by 8AM this morning. Fluffy stuff, much easier than the wet heavy slop from last week. Things will calm down through the afternoon, and then maybe a couple more inches tonight. This is almost trivial compared to last week.

Good luck with the ice - hope it thaws out fast.

And if Mother Nature bats last, the ice is hitting cleanup...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I concur with this description! I live a bit northwest of WS. The snow falling now is big, fluffy and falling at a brisk rate. The snowfall is adding depth very quickly to the snow and ice already on the ground. I finally went out to get the paper because it was being covered up and lost in the snow. The snowfall is expected to continue into the afternoon. When the time comes to clear the roads, it's going to take a while to do so!
    Thanks to you both for sending yet another form of precipitation to the Triangle area. After a night of sleet/freezing rain and morning of light rain (and an hour or three of nothing falling from the sky), we now have a light to moderate amount of widely-varying sized snowflakes falling with an expected additional accumulation of between one to four inches. I'm not sure whether I should pull out the snow shovel again or get the icepick and chisel ready along with some sand and rock salt. I may just settle for another Great Lakes ale.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Thanks to you both for sending yet another form of precipitation to the Triangle area. After a night of sleet/freezing rain and morning of light rain (and an hour or three of nothing falling from the sky), we now have a light to moderate amount of widely-varying sized snowflakes falling with an expected additional accumulation of between one to four inches. I'm not sure whether I should pull out the snow shovel again or get the icepick and chisel ready along with some sand and rock salt. I may just settle for another Great Lakes ale.
    I highly recommend the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, perhaps sitting by the fire with some winter songs playing off the ipod dock, and staring at the flames thinking about those who have cleared the roads and cut up the trees and restrung the wires because that's what they do for a living.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/gordo...itzgerald.html

(So what if it isn't November? Don't bother me with trifles...)