Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M for K

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Based on my math, his ACC record should read;

ACC Reg season - 356-147 (.708)
    ACC Tournament - 53-19 (.736)
    Total ACC record - 409-166 (.711)
    So, he improves in the ACCT. Wow.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Don't forget K is 82-25 in the NCAA tourney

Quote Originally Posted by royalblue View Post
    Don't forget K is 82-25 in the NCAA tourney
    Yes and when you add that to his ACC tournament record of 53-19, you get 135-44. So his postseason win % is .754.
    Compare that to Dean who was 58-23 in the ACC tournament and 65-27 in the NCAA. A combined postseason win % of .711.

So when the games really count, Krzyzewski is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Compare that to Dean who was 58-23 in the ACC tournament and 65-27 in the NCAA. A combined postseason win % of .711.
    Until 1993, they used to say that the only person who could keep Dean Smith under 2 titles was Michael Jordan.

Even in 1993 most Unc-ch fans did not think it would be close K vs Dean for career and I am happy to report they were right

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Until 1993, they used to say that the only person who could keep Dean Smith under 2 titles was Michael Jordan.
    Didn't some people say that the only person that could hold mj under 20 points was Dean Smith? GoDuke!

Birthday Present

Coach K's birthday is Feb 13th (same as my mother) and it would be a perfect gift for the team to give him a win over UNC the night before. Coach has 975 now so there is no way to get to 1000 this year.

Coach K!!!

I just listened to Andy Katz interview a college basketball coach. This guy coaches one of the top 25 college teams year in and year out. Something he said made me think of this years Duke team. He has a young team this year(most years) and he said the biggest problem with young players is that they have their focus tied to their offense. If they miss a free throw, if they miss an open shot or if they feel they get passed up for shot by a teammate, they don't get back and play defense. Their game is tied to what they do on offense. He commented that they have been allowed to do this in high school and don't have the mind set that defense is just as important or more important than offense. Then he commented on his star freshman. He has had trouble getting this star player to pass quickly out of double or triple teams. The coach, John Calipari and the star freshman was Randle. I guess this is not just isolated to Kentucky because I've seen this young Duke team go through those same growing pains. Not just from the new guys but from more experienced players as well. However I don't see these things happening on a regular basis lately. I think Coach K has done an exceptional job building this years team and it's been fun seeing them grow. I think us Duke fans(I said us) forget what it takes to build a great college basketball program. We have been blessed to have the greatest college basketball coach of all time at the helm of our program. I know that there have been times that I've taken Coach for granted. Lord help us when he decides to retire. Ok, that said, let's beat the heck out of those tarheels. GoDuke!

With the win over Carolina, I think he's at 981. This means, in the unlikely but cheerful event of a perfect postseason, he would end 2013-14 at 990.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

K's record

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    With the win over Carolina, I think he's at 981. This means, in the unlikely but cheerful event of a perfect postseason, he would end 2013-14 at 990.
    You are correct that he's at 981 after the UNC win.

That was also his 415th victory against an ACC opponent (regular season and tournament). That leaves him seven short of Dean's ACC record of 422.

K won't get to 1,000 this year and he won't get to 423 this year, but he's put himself in position to get both records easily next season.

What Game will be Win # 1000

Ok, we all know it will happen this season. The players have though about it too...it even had had a hand in this year's recruiting class.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...devils-coach-k

"With Duke I felt more comfortable going to play with the winningest coach in college basketball and getting the chance for me personally to help Coach K win his 1,000th game was (tough) to beat," Okafor said. "That was kind of the tipping scale for me."

What game this season will Coach K win his 1000th game?

If we start 16-0, the game would be Duke at Louisville on Jan 17. No doubt Louisville/Pitino would be happy for Coach K to get # 1000 at the Yum! Center.

merge bump

Quote Originally Posted by BullBlue View Post
    Ok, we all know it will happen this season. The players have though about it too...it even had had a hand in this year's recruiting class.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...devils-coach-k

"With Duke I felt more comfortable going to play with the winningest coach in college basketball and getting the chance for me personally to help Coach K win his 1,000th game was (tough) to beat," Okafor said. "That was kind of the tipping scale for me."

What game this season will Coach K win his 1000th game?

If we start 16-0, the game would be Duke at Louisville on Jan 17. No doubt Louisville/Pitino would be happy for Coach K to get # 1000 at the Yum! Center.
    darn. not sure i can root for 9 losses to push that out to the UNC game
    April 1

No offense to your UNC-Greensboros (#880), but I hope it's against a "big" opponent, like Michigan State with #903. Both #500 and #600 came against the University of Non-Classes.*

I feel like it's science fiction that we're even talking about this with it on such a close horizon.

* - I think Ima take this an run with it.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

No offense to your UNC-Greensboros (#880), but I hope it's against a "big" opponent, like Michigan State with #903. Both #500 and #600 came against the University of Non-Classes.*

I feel like it's science fiction that we're even talking about this with it on such a close horizon.

* - I think Ima take this an run with it.
    Klaatu barada nikto.

Oh, and he's at five less than Dean in combined RS/ACCT wins, right? 422-417. So ACC win #6 this coming year is the final erasure.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Oh, and he's at five less than Dean in combined RS/ACCT wins, right? 422-417. So ACC win #6 this coming year is the final erasure.
    Well. Maybe not the *final* erasure.

So ACC win #6 this coming year is the final erasure.
    Together, we'll break these chains of love.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Sure, but what if all those Carolina games dating back to 93 didn't count? If we can't count the games against Division II schools, we certainly shouldn't count the games against teams comprised of questionably active students. At least the Division II teams involve players who are presumably going to real classes and doing real schoolwork while preparing for the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Sure, but what if all those Carolina games dating back to 93 didn't count? If we can't count the games against Division II schools, we certainly shouldn't count the games against teams comprised of questionably active students. At least the Division II teams involve players who are presumably going to real classes and doing real schoolwork while preparing for the games.
    I see your point, but why should Duke be punished for UNC's sins? If UNC had to forfeit games as a result of this, presumably the result would be a win for the opponent, no?