Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M for K

M for K

I thought I had already started this thread, but the search engine fails me, or I failed. In the interest of doing something tonight other than whining about how we barely beat a team previously undefeated in the ACC, let's look at advancing history.

The win tonight over the University of Khaki at Thomas Jefferson tonight puts Mike Krzyzewski at 970 career wins. This is rather insane, if you think about it. Boeheim is older, and a championship caliber season behind him. Boeheim may have that season this year, but Krzyzewski isn't going to win zero games this year, so I'm not worried in the short run. Krzyzewski is now more than eighty wins past that cranky guy from Kansas. I forget his name. I think he was pals will Bill Guthridge?

In a lot of the discussion about 880 and 903, I think 1000 came up, and 2014-15 was the season we mentioned. It sounded like science fiction even a few seasons ago, much as 880 did in the late 1990s. So I guess this is where we get to optimism or pessimism about this year. He's been grinding about thirty a year through the mill for a while. Which would put #1000 about this time next year, if we keep that pace this year. I don't know.

2015 is an odd year, meaning the home Carolina game is early, in February. #500 was at home against Carolina.

Let us count our blessings.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Can we change the title?

Vigils on this board mean injuries. NO MORE VIGILS! How about "watch" or "countdown"?

And he only needs 3 to reach 900 at Duke.

Won't be this year

With 970 currently it can't be this year, so why get this started now?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    It's something else to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    It's something else to discuss.
    Actually, there is a lot to talk about this year. Our basketball is far from perfect, but we have a ton of talent. There are a lot of options, and I'm a big fan of the approach that DBR has taken.

I agree that 1,000 wins is a little too soon to talk about. Barring a catastrophe, it's gonna happen next year. I don't think anyone thinks otherwise.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

My '903 and Kounting' shirt will seem so dated.

My suggestion for a new shirt is 'K1K' or maybe 'Coach K - 1K'. We should discuss this intently.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post

My suggestion for a new shirt is 'K1K' or maybe 'Coach K - 1K'. We should discuss this intently.
    I love the irony of your statement beneath the avatar of the championship soda can. Neither is dated, they are timeless!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Cuz we're all vigil nuts?

Remember the 2001 Championship t-shirt that I'm too fat for now, the "I was on the quad" one where there was a picture of the bonfire, and it looked like a a ghost-Krzyzewski was emerging from the fire.

I'm thinking something like that, but with a huge 1K instead of a bonfire.

The good news is that I'm presently not fat enough for my 903 shirt.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Anytime you can come up with a thread to call Dean the cranky guy from Kansas who is friends with Bill G it's all good with me To properly savor the 1000 to come you need to start nice and early. I would want Duke to win it all this year and beat UNC-ch for 1005 I can think about a few good tie ins with that finish. If I recall correctly Bill as head coach did make 2 FF with out Dean and Dean only went to one FF with out Gut. I always wondered why a Kansas guy would hire a K state guy for his asst. The cranky guy is the best line on Dean since Terry Holland named his dog Dean cause it wined all the time. K you have already won twice as many gold trophys as the cranky guy I can't ask for much more.

Quote Originally Posted by royalblue View Post
    Anytime you can come up with a thread to call Dean the cranky guy from Kansas who is friends with Bill G it's all good with me To properly savor the 1000 to come you need to start nice and early. I would want Duke to win it all this year and beat UNC-ch for 1005 I can think about a few good tie ins with that finish. If I recall correctly Bill as head coach did make 2 FF with out Dean and Dean only went to one FF with out Gut. I always wondered why a Kansas guy would hire a K state guy for his asst. The cranky guy is the best line on Dean since Terry Holland named his dog Dean cause it wined all the time. K you have already won twice as many gold trophys as the cranky guy I can't ask for much more.
    As I smart-alecked last year, I have a mind to write an unauthorized biography of Dean Smith, just so I can title it Playing Keep-away, Pointing, and Signalling that you're Tired: The Dean Smith Story.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

My dream is to help with that project.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I love the irony of your statement beneath the avatar of the championship soda can. Neither is dated, they are timeless!
    I only drank a few of them, I saved the one in the pic that had the true blue liquid somehow ooze through the aluminum over time, yet the seal is still intact. Hey kids, soda is good for you!
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

I say we count this down win-by-win.

I really like the "K1K" idea. We need to make this happen.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I really like the "K1K" idea. We need to make this happen.
    How about just:

1. K

That works on multiple levels. And maybe have a special DBR version that goes:

1. K

9. F

I think we should be focused on his 1000th win AS COACH OF DUKE. So 1073 total. Spring 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I think we should be focused on his 1000th win AS COACH OF DUKE. So 1073 total. Spring 2017.
    Which would get him within about a season's worth of Pat Summitt, if that's a thing.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Coach 1K has a very nice ring to it.

I'm hoping for his own version of Y2k - I think my grandson will be on the team for that one