Question alien abductees?

A new book written by by Stanton T. Friedman and Kathleen Marden talks about the experience of Betty and Barney Hill thought to be the first people to document an alien abduction.

In the book they detail some Physical Evidence to support their story.

When they arrived home, they realized they had arrived later than they had anticipated, even allowing for the observational stops that they made and a period of slow driving. And certain things were not right when they arrived home. The tops of Barney’s shoes were scraped and he could not explain how that happened. Barney's binocular strap was broken and Betty’s dress was torn. There was a 2-inch tear in the top right of her zipper and there was a 1-inch tear in the top left side of her zipper fabric. Also, her hem was torn down and the lining of her new dress was torn from hemline to waist. She could not explain that. She folded it, put it in her closet and did not remove it until probably some time in 1964 (3 years later).

The watches they were wearing that night had stopped working and were permanently destroyed. There were 12 to 18 circular spots on the trunk of their car the size of silver dollars. They were all exactly the same size and when Betty and Barney observed a compass placed above those spots, it would spin and spin, whereas anywhere else on the car would drop down (no spinning). So there were these very perplexing pieces of evidence they had when they arrived home that they could not explain.

What do you think...?
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 09-02-2007 at 03:51 PM.

WE have met the enemy and it is us.

"It's no wonder the aliens don't stay. Look at who they meet when they get here."------Kathleen Madigan

Pseudo-science and fantasy

Numerology, Atlantis, now alien abductions. Where is your post on the chupacabra?

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Numerology, Atlantis, now alien abductions. Where is your post on the chupacabra?
    Hey now, the chupacabra IS real!

But seriously, to reply to the OP, I think their story is... how should I put this... cow manure?

Reasonable Doubt...

Ok, let's show some reasonable doubt:

Clothing and Shoes = a little illicit hanky panky out in the woods? I didn't want to go there...but hey this isn't a rational discussion any way.

12-18 circular spots on their trunk = Ball peen hammer

Compass that spins and spins = yeah, my toy compass that I got in my stocking never really worked right either

This trunk stuff makes me recall a story I heard from a claims adjuster. After some recent hailstorms, a woman called in with a hail damage claim. The storms weren't really in her vicinity, but the claims adjuster dutifully went out to look at the damage. Looking at the car, she noted that the damage was only to the trunk lid and not the entire car even though the whole thing had been out during the "storm". She finally commented to the women, "Next time you try to make hail dents in your car, don't use the hammer from the inside of the trunk." The woman replied, "Are you saying I am not getting my cigarette money?" "Uhh, yes!" "Well, can I have a smoke?" Needless to say the claim was denied.

Since you asked: I think they're making it up, or they are seriously deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Well, at least i don't do the same old threads...I like throwing in something different from time to time.

My problem with all this is this: WHY WOULD ALIENS BE ABDUCTING US? What possible motive could there be? The whole "to study us" thing makes very little sense to me because it would be far easier and less antagonistic to just contact us and cooperate.

Also, any species capable of traveling to our solar system from their system is going to be so vastly technologically superior it is not even funny. We are decades away from being able to fly to freaking Mars and we are talking about beings that can travel from star to star (and they are almost certainly from a very distant star as the closest systems are not capable of sustaining life). Any species like that is going to be so technologically advanced that "kidnapping" humans to study them would be absurd.

Think about how human technology has advanced by leaps and bounds since we visited the moon. Now think about how much more advanced we have to get to travel to even the closest star. A race that could travel among the stars would probably look at us the way we look at Cows.

--Jason "by the way, I am almost certain there is life elsewhere in the Universe-- the Universe is just too vast" Evans

Jason, I think you've hit on it. What we have here is the alien equivalent of cow tipping.

I wonder what red/green neck aliens drink to get high?

Talking

I don't want to keep quoting comedians but...

"Aliens must have a thing fer redneck fellers."--Larry the Cable Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    My problem with all this is this: WHY WOULD ALIENS BE ABDUCTING US? What possible motive could there be? The whole "to study us" thing makes very little sense to me because it would be far easier and less antagonistic to just contact us and cooperate.
    Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but if they are so much farther advanced than we are, maybe they don't know how to properly communicate with us - it would be like us trying to communicate with ants (Alien:Human :: Human:Ant). Except when we "abduct" ants from colonies, we don't generally return them back into the wild, and they can't tell other ants all these crazy stories.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    "Aliens must have a thing fer redneck fellers."--Larry the Cable Guy

I'm not sure redneck is accurate here.
    Betty Hill was a social worker for the State of New Hampshire. Barney was employed by the Portsmouth, New Hampshire post office, but he was also very involved in the civil rights movement. He was a civil rights leader and there is an archival collection about his political leadership at the University of New Hampshire in the Milnes Special Collections Library. Betty and Barney Hill were were invited guests at Lyndon B. Johnson’s Presidential Inauguration.
    [source]