Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bill Walton Commentary

Anyone else watch UCLA-Arizona last night. Really good game, as UCLA came back from down 13 to lead by one with around 2 minutes left. Arizona pulled it out, but UCLA showed a lot of grit. Great game to watch, but ugghh, the commentary by Bill Walton I found very annoying. He seemed arrogant, overly critical of the Bruins, and so full of himself that I muted the TV. That's the first time I think I've ever heard him do a game and I hope I never hear it again.

I didn't see the game last night unfortunately, but I agree that Bill Walton's commentary during games is typically difficult to listen to...He has a unique style that can come off the wrong way for sure and be over the top.

I watched part of it -- his interplay with Dave Pasch can be extremely uncomfortable. Definitely don't get the feeling those two are having beers after the game.

And on that note, the last game I watched that Walton called, we were wondering if perhaps Walton's failure to wait until after the game to partake might have contributed a bit to his, um, analysis of the action. Last night he didn't seem to be imbalanced in quite the same way, and it was a bit more grating and less entertaining. There are definitely a lot of, "Does he *know* he's talking out loud?" moments with him. That being said, I'd be such a disaster as a commentator, I really shouldn't be throwing stones. (And yet, LOB!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Anyone else watch UCLA-Arizona last night. Really good game, as UCLA came back from down 13 to lead by one with around 2 minutes left. Arizona pulled it out, but UCLA showed a lot of grit. Great game to watch, but ugghh, the commentary by Bill Walton I found very annoying. He seemed arrogant, overly critical of the Bruins, and so full of himself that I muted the TV. That's the first time I think I've ever heard him do a game and I hope I never hear it again.
    Count yourself lucky that's the first time you watched a game he did. He is one of the reasons I rarely watch PAC12 games despite being on the west coast.

Walton

It was a typical Bill Walton commentary, not afraid to hammer anyone. At one point his partner stopped him short when he started to call Digger a devil when they were talking about ND stopping UCLA long winning Streak.

Did not watch the UCLA-Zona game - did Walton take any more digs at Ben Howland?

As noted previously, Walton and Pasch do not appear to be BFFs based on this recent exchange in the UCLA-Alabama broadcast

"Couple of veiled Ben Howland references just four minutes into the game," noted Walton's television partner, Dave Pasch, and the broadcast just sort of took off from there.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ng-ben-howland

Walton was an extraordinary player until his knees and feet gave out but has always seemed to me to be an insufferable egomaniac

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Feet POF View Post
    It was a typical Bill Walton commentary, not afraid to hammer anyone. At one point his partner stopped him short when he started to call Digger a devil when they were talking about ND stopping UCLA long winning Streak.
    I did catch that unfortunately. I'm not a fan of Digger Phelps analysis, but that was unprofessional.

You can count on DBR to...

1) Blame refs (regardless of who wins or losses)

2) Provide a breakdown of players' minutes

3) Receive a lesson in spelling, punctuation, and grammar

4) Dislike and denounce every commentator as long as he isn't Coach K's mentor
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Did not watch the UCLA-Zona game - did Walton take any more digs at Ben Howland?

As noted previously, Walton and Pasch do not appear to be BFFs based on this recent exchange in the UCLA-Alabama broadcast

"Couple of veiled Ben Howland references just four minutes into the game," noted Walton's television partner, Dave Pasch, and the broadcast just sort of took off from there.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ng-ben-howland

Walton was an extraordinary player until his knees and feet gave out but has always seemed to me to be an insufferable egomaniac
    I'll tell you what I noticed about the game: UCLA is playing a conference game against the #1-ranked team in the US of A, and there were empty seats everywhere. What's that about? Isn't Pauley Pavilion the citadel of NCAA basketball?

Walton doesn't bother me as an announcer, because he is, well, Bill Walton, a guy who was a legend in college and for a while in the NBA, and he used to dance on stage at Grateful Dead concerts. No one will confuse him with Jay Bilas or Bill Raftery, but I value his observations, although sometimes they are a bit occult, which I attribute to his time as a Deadhead.

Huge ego, you say. Let's see. There must be a list of sports legends without huge egos. Well, there was Stan Musial, but he died recently. And there is Nolan Ryan, nicest guy you ever wanted to meet. There must be someone else, but I am having trouble coming up with a name.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Walton doesn't bother me as an announcer, because he is, well, Bill Walton, a guy who was a legend in college and for a while in the NBA, and he used to dance on stage at Grateful Dead concerts. No one will confuse him with Jay Bilas or Bill Raftery, but I value his observations, although sometimes they are a bit occult, which I attribute to his time as a Deadhead.

Huge ego, you say. Let's see. There must be a list of sports legends without huge egos. Well, there was Stan Musial, but he died recently. And there is Nolan Ryan, nicest guy you ever wanted to meet. There must be someone else, but I am having trouble coming up with a name.
    Yeah, I like the big redhead/Deadhead.

He appreciates and points out sound, smart basketball, and comes up with interesting observations.

Compare him with another premier college big man of roughly the same era who regularly announces ACC games -- Len Elmore. Walton is waaaay better.

I'll tell you what I noticed about the game: UCLA is playing a conference game against the #1-ranked team in the US of A, and there were empty seats everywhere. What's that about? Isn't Pauley Pavilion the citadel of NCAA basketball?

Not only does he not bother me, he was one of my favorite announcers during his NBA days. I absolutely loved how he would call out players. I'll never forget how he went off on Shaq after Shaq missed something like 5 straight free throws in an important game. Walton basically stated that Shaq was doing himself, basketball and history a disservice by not working on his craft. Walton went on to give examples of guys that improved throughout their careers by working harder than anyone else and challenging Shaq to be the greatest ever. That commentary really opened my eyes because no one else had the guts to say it.

No doubt to rise to the top of any profession you cannot lack for self-confidence. But once you get there you can behave, to use 2 examples, like first ballot Hall of Fame players Peyton Manning or Mariano Rivera (link to those with whom Rivera visited on his farewell visits around the league here http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...9446--mlb.html). I am sure there are many others (as a Steelers fan I place Troy Polamalu in that category while acknowledging Ben Roethlisberger's conduct is about as bad as it gets)

Having a huge ego does not necessarily require being an insufferable boor.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    1) Blame refs (regardless of who wins or losses)

2) Provide a breakdown of players' minutes

3) Receive a lesson in spelling, punctuation, and grammar

4) Dislike and denounce every commentator as long as he isn't Coach K's mentor
    You can count on DBR to tolerate (albeit not silently) snark and hyperbole.

I love Walton...
    He isnt afraid to have an opinion and bust someones chops.

He has disdain (feigned or otherwise) for EVERY non-post player..
    I can have an odd respect for that POV. Would you want him to pretend to wish he was a guard? Nah - its outside of his experience why fake it?

Dickie V gets static for being a cheerleader of the game... and Walton gets static for being himself and not looking to kiss anyone's ring. How often does the conversation go into "defections" and work in a historical perspective outside of Basketball. Bobby Knight goes on similar tangents from time to time...

My MOST desired way to watch a game would be to listen to 2 drunks fans trade uncensored insults back and forth.
    Hopefully they could be entertaining when the game is not...

My second most desired way to take in a game would be to pair Knight and Walton

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Receive a lesson in spelling, punctuation, and grammar
    Well, that's really more of a public service that we provide to others,

...Huge ego, you say. Let's see. There must be a list of sports legends without huge egos. Well, there was Stan Musial, but he died recently. And there is Nolan Ryan, nicest guy you ever wanted to meet. There must be someone else, but I am having trouble coming up with a name.
    Steve Young.

Genuinely great guy.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    My MOST desired way to watch a game would be to listen to 2 drunks fans trade uncensored insults back and forth.
    Hopefully they could be entertaining when the game is not...
    Sounds like you might want to make a reservation in my brother-in-law's (baby blue, deeply annoying) basement.

Great baseball player and even better person. Easy to see how he got the name, Stan The Man. GoRedbirds and GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, I like the big redhead/Deadhead.

He appreciates and points out sound, smart basketball, and comes up with interesting observations.

Compare him with another premier college big man of roughly the same era who regularly announces ACC games -- Len Elmore. Walton is waaaay better.
    Totally agree- he's far superior to the bumbling duo of Patrick/Elmore and I like his commentary. I resented him as a player during UCLA dominance , but enjoy his game commentary.

He keeps blathering on about how great California is, but I suspect he is looking into taking up permanent residence in Colorado.