Battier nickname

As many of you know, the NBA is doing a "nickname" thing on the backs of jerseys at some games. It is a clear effort just to sell more jerseys. Sigh.

One of the teams participating will be the Miami Heat. King James, D Wade, Birdman, and a few others make sense but most of the nicknames are lame and just consist of guy's initials.

We had a discussion of this back in the fall. At the time, Shane Battier was talking about putting "Shaneo" on the back of his jersey. A terrible idea. Now, as any good Duke fan will tell you, Battier's nickname should probably be "Daddy." But, Shane is going with "Battle" for the Heat promotion.

In case you are wondering why, I found this story from a few months back with some remarkable insight into Shane's family history. It is a sorta old article so maybe it has been posted before, but I did not recall seeing it.

"The first day of the Army, my dad shows up and says, 'Private Battle reporting for duty,' " Battier said. "The sergeant says, 'Uncle Sam says your name is Battier.' So my Dad rolled with it and he was now Eddie Battier."
    -Jason "Battle would have been a good name for Shane... he is certainly a warrior" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As many of you know, the NBA is doing a "nickname" thing on the backs of jerseys at some games. It is a clear effort just to sell more jerseys. Sigh.

One of the teams participating will be the Miami Heat. King James, D Wade, Birdman, and a few others make sense but most of the nicknames are lame and just consist of guy's initials.

We had a discussion of this back in the fall. At the time, Shane Battier was talking about putting "Shaneo" on the back of his jersey. A terrible idea. Now, as any good Duke fan will tell you, Battier's nickname should probably be "Daddy." But, Shane is going with "Battle" for the Heat promotion.

In case you are wondering why, I found this story from a few months back with some remarkable insight into Shane's family history. It is a sorta old article so maybe it has been posted before, but I did not recall seeing it.

-Jason "Battle would have been a good name for Shane... he is certainly a warrior" Evans
    Jason, you didn't check out DBR on 8/25/2011?

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...dy-battle-quot

it's a shame they wouldn't let him use batman, or let wade use flash for that matter. for those interested, here is a cool and comprehensive look back at nicknames on uniforms.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...rsey-nicknames

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Jason, you didn't check out DBR on 8/25/2011?

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...dy-battle-quot
    thanks for the props. i'd spork you, but, you know. gotta spread the love.