Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    the "big man guru", my son, Sam - who predicted that Brian Zoubek would be the player of the year for duke and help win a national championship told me this:

Marshall isn't like his brothers, he just needs to get his balance back from being hurt, then watch some tape of Zoubek. He'll be fine when we need him"

sounds legit….
    Your son has been consulting with Greybeard!

Damn, a guy runs into someone in a restaurant, who would have thought he was related to someone who is a player here. There are no monopolies. I think I'd enjoy kicking it with Sam. Actually, for sure.
    Last edited by greybeard; 01-09-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    What if, at practice, he's routinely being beaten on the inside during scrimmages and other full-court simulations by the likes of Amile, Josh, Semi, and Jabari -- guys who aren't even as big as the guys you'd like to see him play against in games? What if he can't handle 6'8" 225 pound guys in those practice situations, and K believes that things would only be worse against bigger and stronger guys?
    Then he shouldn't, but by what limited news we've seen from the staff that hasn't been the case. Frankly, if they play defense well enough, he shouldn't have to face smaller, faster guys around the rim routinely.

I too think he is still not fully back from the foot injury to how he was before. He doesn't look as nimble or light on his feet as he did before the injury, although he looks better every game. I suspect that he hasn't gotten fully back the fast-twitch muscle that he lost during recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Unless we are up or down by 20 points, I cannot disagree strongly enough with this idea. I never want to see that, and I doubt K will ever do it. I like where your heads at, you know, you wanna go big, but that would not be good. In fact, if Marshall and Josh are ever in a game at the same time during a meaningful minute I will give you all my Star Wars action figures. Except Boba Fet, no matter how sure I am, I never risk the Fet-man.
    My bad. Did not mean for them to be on the floor at the same time. But if it happens, I will be calling you.

A stress injury happens because the way one carries and uses oneself causes it. A kinesthesiologist can map an ideal organization for weight distribution that will not cause such an injury and 3-D imaging with trainers instructing will not necessarily produce the degree of change that will work. Trying to put in practice something that you have not self-learned, chosen through experimentation based on sense and feel that works better for you, that your brain embraces, will slow you down. Who knows, just saying. Stress fractures never become "all better," the dis-ease that grew to the point of a crack does not disappear, and the degree that new learning will permit greater ease can be elusive, no matter how one performs in rehabilitative and training drills.

Small Samples from Games

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    What if, at practice, he's routinely being beaten on the inside during scrimmages and other full-court simulations by the likes of Amile, Josh, Semi, and Jabari -- guys who aren't even as big as the guys you'd like to see him play against in games? What if he can't handle 6'8" 225 pound guys in those practice situations, and K believes that things would only be worse against bigger and stronger guys?
    What we have seen recently are small samples since he got 4 and 2 minutes in his last two games. To me his performance was respectable when compared to our other bigs. Amile has started to stand out but to date Hairston has only be fair, Semi hasn't played at all and Jabari's inside defense is typical of a freshman. We lament the availability of a big man when we have a nearly 7 foot 260 pound athletic guy who appears to be coming along. I would like to see him get into the games for 5 to 8 minutes a game except a crunch time.

Plus, if they go hack a Marshall, then there is more of a chance he'll make a free throw this season. I like it!!!! Put him in!

There's always a lot of talk about how uncoordinated or "non-fluid" or pick your descriptive term Marshall is, as though being non-fluid was somehow an impossible-to-overcome handicap in the game of basketball.

How quickly the masses forget our now thankfully departed Tyler Hanstravel! He looked worse than Marshall pretty much the entire four years, but is the leading scorer in ACC history.

(I'll give you that as a free-throw shooter he was just the tiniest bit more adept than Marshall, though.)
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    There's always a lot of talk about how uncoordinated or "non-fluid" or pick your descriptive term Marshall is, as though being non-fluid was somehow an impossible-to-overcome handicap in the game of basketball.

How quickly the masses forget our now thankfully departed Tyler Hanstravel! He looked worse than Marshall pretty much the entire four years, but is the leading scorer in ACC history.

(I'll give you that as a free-throw shooter he was just the tiniest bit more adept than Marshall, though.)
    You mean this guy? He was poetry in motion, just ask any UNC fan.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Hansbrough shot for a higher FT percentage than Marshall, but he wasn't more consistent.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Hansbrough shot for a higher FT percentage than Marshall, but he wasn't more consistent.
    Marshall is the most consistent FT shooter in the ACC. Ever.

Love it!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Unless we are up or down by 20 points, I cannot disagree strongly enough with this idea. I never want to see that, and I doubt K will ever do it. I like where your heads at, you know, you wanna go big, but that would not be good. In fact, if Marshall and Josh are ever in a game at the same time during a meaningful minute I will give you all my Star Wars action figures. Except Boba Fet, no matter how sure I am, I never risk the Fet-man.
    Now you have me thinking. Don't necessarily believe this will ever happen (nor should) but I think the roof would blow off of Cameron if the starting lineup is ever announced something like this:

Jefferson
    Cook
    Hood
    Parker
    and MARSHALL PLUMLEE!

Maybe vs UNC... Unfortunately for most on the boards, this lineup might not be tall enough