Talking Should I stay or should I go?

I confess. I am responsible for the football streak. Blame it all on me.

I attended two football games while I was at Duke. The first game of my freshman year was a thrilling win over ECU. I then avoided Duke football games until the last game of my senior year ... a 23-17 win at Wade against the tacky blue heathens. [Note: the posts came down, and were brought to the Chapel.]

RED MEANS GO!

I am 2-0. When I attend, we win. It's just that simple. I have not attended a game since, in fear of breaking my streak. However, I now face a dilemma. It's been 25 years since that stunning win over Chappaheeya. In other words ... it's a HOMECOMING year! I love alma mater; like the salmon, I feel compelled to return. I quickly checked the schedule for homecoming and it says:

VaTech

UGH!!!

Do I attend, and risk ruining my perfect record with Duke football? Rather than attend the scheduled homecoming game, should I attend some other game this year to make it 3-0? Or should I just stay home this year, satisfied that another year has passed with my perfect 2-0 record?

Cheers?
    Lavabe

Haha, it is always difficult being...

an all powerful being able to determine the fates of teams and programs by mere attendance. Funny, I have this exact same problem!

My recommendation, find a good exorcist who can rid you of this power and attend the game in good conscience that your influence has been removed from the outcome.

Renew old acquaintances and for a brief time relieve old memories and more importantly create new ones.

PS It could be noted that during your absence we went through a good season or two under Messr. Spurrier as well as one under Fred Goldsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

I attended two football games while I was at Duke. The first game of my freshman year was a thrilling win over ECU. I then avoided Duke football games until the last game of my senior year ... a 23-17 win at Wade against the tacky blue heathens. [Note: the posts came down, and were brought to the Chapel.]

RED MEANS GO!

I am 2-0. When I attend, we win. It's just that simple. I have not attended a game since, in fear of breaking my streak. However, I now face a dilemma. It's been 25 years since that stunning win over Chappaheeya. In other words ... it's a HOMECOMING year! I love alma mater; like the salmon, I feel compelled to return. I quickly checked the schedule for homecoming and it says:

VaTech

UGH!!!

Do I attend, and risk ruining my perfect record with Duke football?
    Lavabe
    You get your butt in the stands, and fast! And often!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I attended two football games while I was at Duke. The first game of my freshman year was a thrilling win over ECU.
    Weird, so was mine. It was the first game of the '02 season where we ended that 0-24(ish) losing streak we were on. Goal posts came down and all...oh to be undefeated again...

RED MEANS GO!

VaTech

UGH!!!

Do I attend, and risk ruining my perfect record with Duke football? Rather than attend the scheduled homecoming game, should I attend some other game this year to make it 3-0? Or should I just stay home this year, satisfied that another year has passed with my perfect 2-0 record?

Cheers?
    Lavabe
    I remember those two games, too, but I also attended all of the other home games in between them. It's hard to believe that on the afternoon of that 23-17 win over Carolina, Mr. Butters fired Coach Wilson who had put together two back-to-back 6-5 seasons in football. Nowadays, if a Duke football coach put together two back to back 6-5 seasons, everyone would be calling for a contract extension.

Lavabe, how many basketball games did you attend during your Duke years? If your presence at a game caused a win, you should have gone to more basketball games.

Go to the game!

Duke has won every football game you have ever attended (regardless of the number) thus you should attend this game. You never know, you just might witness a miracle. We could be the next App State!!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Duke has won every football game you have ever attended (regardless of the number) thus you should attend this game. You never know, you just might witness a miracle. We could be the next App State!!
    If only it worked for college basketball and Atlanta Braves DBR home games. Note to EarlJam: Put a fork in 'em. On the other hand, we got to see the return of JULIO (Franco, that is). FWIW, flying chest-thumping is bad, but not as bad as NY Mutts flying BUTT-thumping.

Basketball: Nope, it never worked with basketball. You'll recall that my last two years in Durham (1981-82,1982-83) were 13-18 ish and 10-17 ish seasons with K. The last game I attended in Cameron was Ralph Sampson.

'nuff said.

It only works with Duke football. I believe touching the goalpost at the foot of the Chapel has something to do with it. The stars aligned, karma came through the Chapel, and the heavens smiled down on us.

Ozzie: The Red Wilson debacle still sticks in my craw. The guy was a good, honorable Elon alum (like frequent poster EARLJAM), and we had winning records. The day after he led Duke to beat Carolina, he was fired. I maintain that was the beginning of the curse that still haunts us (save the Spurrier years... but remember it was Wilson who brought Spurrier to Duke to be offensive coordinator). Chicago has the Billy Goat/Bartmann curse, Boston had the curse of Ruth, and I maintain that Duke football has the curse of Red Wilson.

Having said that, which home games (if any) will contribute to your tally of 3 Duke wins? Maybe I'll do a road trip from Atlanta for one of those three.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Ozzie: The Red Wilson debacle still sticks in my craw. The guy was a good, honorable Elon alum (like frequent poster EARLJAM), and we had winning records. The day after he led Duke to beat Carolina, he was fired. I maintain that was the beginning of the curse that still haunts us (save the Spurrier years... but remember it was Wilson who brought Spurrier to Duke to be offensive coordinator). Chicago has the Billy Goat/Bartmann curse, Boston had the curse of Ruth, and I maintain that Duke football has the curse of Red Wilson.

Having said that, which home games (if any) will contribute to your tally of 3 Duke wins? Maybe I'll do a road trip from Atlanta for one of those three.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Well, the Wake game is on the list. The other 2 are away - Virginia next week and carolina. And did anyone see how bad GaTech beat Notre Dame yesterday? GT scares the dickens out of me, but maybe beating ND isn't such a far fetched idea after all. We play GT at home, then ND the next week in South Bend.

I don't remember saying anything about Red Wilson. I liked him as a man, but if I recall, most attributed his success to the man you mentioned, Steve Spurrier. I remember hearing stories about players laughing at Wilson's speeches behind his back, having little or no respect for him. But those were fifth-hand stories, I have no direct knowledge of such occurrences.
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 09-02-2007 at 10:17 PM.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The comments on Red Wilson are very close to reality. I can give 2nd references, as one of the starters on his next to last teams basically said that Spurrier was the man and most of the players paid no attention to Wilson. Also, once the losses began piling up (not in a year in which Spurrier coached as an assistant), most of the team just lost interest and played not to get hurt.

It sort of feels like similar to some of the Franks/Roof teams.

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    The comments on Red Wilson are very close to reality. I can give 2nd references, as one of the starters on his next to last teams basically said that Spurrier was the man and most of the players paid no attention to Wilson. Also, once the losses began piling up (not in a year in which Spurrier coached as an assistant), most of the team just lost interest and played not to get hurt.

It sort of feels like similar to some of the Franks/Roof teams.
    FA, OZZ: Thanks for clarifying the Wilson issue. I think a lot of us heard those stories. Nonetheless, he brought us Spurrier (from GaTech), which in turn brought us Bennett. The winning seasons and a win against Dick Crum ( ) sure seems nice now.

At least Wilson got someone who both fired up the team and could recruit.

I don't know Ozzie... you almost have me believing in this year's UNC game. How does one attend without contributing to the Tyler Hansblauaughrgrhguaghrhgh scholarship fund? Then again, maybe the streak only applies for games in WW.

Cheers,
    Lavabe