Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Asack? Are you kidding?

Granted, he was instructed to run to the left and then to the right...and then to the right again. That series was a complete joke. I could buy into the first two plays if he would've run left or right and then dropped back for a pass.

We went from go for broke to the Mike McGee offense after the second offensive series. Steve Spurrier took a slow, mediocre running back and made him an All ACC tight end (Carl Franks). There needs to be some similar imagination to this edition. After the first series, there was very little misdirection and more of the same stretch plays that don't work at Duke because the O line weren't able to hold their blocks. Find a solid O line amidst what we have and a punter. That would've helped us immensely yesterday.

humbility...is that a word?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I guess it was the Starter the whole time.
    Gee. That's right. Wow. I've become a starter now.

I'd like to thank my manager, my assistant, my agent, hairdresser, makeup artist and all the other little people.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    You don't get rid of the coach until you have something better ready to go.
    Better than Roof? Well, I have never coached football, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... so I hearby throw my name in the pot. Just kidding. The name I will throw into the pot is Gus Malzahn.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    I simply do not buy that Duke cannot be better than it currently is in Football.
    I agree 110%

The issues Ben Patrick and others raised about Duke's coaching staff upon leaving the program early may be more relevant than Saturday's performance as to whether we need a coaching change
    I'm not familiar with the comments...please elaborate.

John Danowski

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, Alleva has not hired a coach with a winning record. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

17-3
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 09-02-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post

17-3

To be consistent, the Alleva naysayers(such as myself) will say "Danowski inherited a team put together by Mike Pressler. Give it a couple years."

Not sure if he was a committee hire, but Danowski definitely did a great job last year and with 5 seniors returning for their 5th year, our chances at competing again for a national title are very good.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 09-02-2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Clarify my competing again comment

Talking Starter...

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Gee. That's right. Wow. I've become a starter now.

I'd like to thank my manager, my assistant, my agent, hairdresser, makeup artist and all the other little people.
    YmoBeThere dreams of the day when he can give a similar speech to the adoring masses!

Didn't Alleva hire Coach P? Presumably she brought with her a winning record too. Rennie is a long-timer but I'm not so sure about the women's soccer coach. Golf and Tennis - I don't know, they seem to have done very well lately, and if they've really been around that long, Alleva probably extended them, so he should get a bit of credit for that too.

Not to minimize the baseball fiasco, and the long-term football struggles. Certainly you might get a different picture if you only look at the revenue sports, and if you only conisder the non-hoops side of revenue sports, well, it might look like a bleak record indeed. But I'm not sure you should really ignore big chunks of his job - it seems like you're drawing a predetermined conclusion.

Didn't Alleva hire Coach P?
    Coach P hasn't had a game yet, so it may be jumping the gun. Everyone seemed excited by Roof at the time he was hired.

So, I go back to the traditional rant - "Coach P inherited a team put together by Coach G. Give it a couple years."
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 09-03-2007 at 12:21 AM.

They should talk to Spurrier, too. Not so much to bring him back, but to get his advice. If Spurrier goes to the trouble to vote for Duke in the first coaches' poll, I would think he cares about the program and would like to see it do well (to justify his vote, even if it is more of a thank-you).
    I love Spurrier, but he strongly recommended Carl Franks to Alleva.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Didn't Alleva hire Coach P? Presumably she brought with her a winning record too. Rennie is a long-timer but I'm not so sure about the women's soccer coach. Golf and Tennis - I don't know, they seem to have done very well lately, and if they've really been around that long, Alleva probably extended them, so he should get a bit of credit for that too.

Not to minimize the baseball fiasco, and the long-term football struggles. Certainly you might get a different picture if you only look at the revenue sports, and if you only conisder the non-hoops side of revenue sports, well, it might look like a bleak record indeed. But I'm not sure you should really ignore big chunks of his job - it seems like you're drawing a predetermined conclusion.
    Cspan, I was about to post a similar response, but then I reread the original post. I think what dkbaseball was trying to say was that no coach that Alleva has hired has had a winning record after coming to Duke. For whatever reason, as indicated by Bluedawg's post, he forgot about Danowski. I suspect there are others, but I don't know that for sure...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Attrition under Roof

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    I am not familiar with the issure that Ben Patrick or others raised about the coaching staff ? Could you tell me and others what they were .

Thank you
    Ben was just cut by the Cardinals

http://mvn.com/nfl-cardinals/2007/09...im-by-mistake/

But he had a great year at Delaware (the 06 season) - his receiving yards were about double what he had at Duke each of the prior 2 years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=135925

Ben had such a good final year at Delaware that he was thought to go higher in the draft - about the 3 round - so when he went later, this was a disappointment to him.

Watzone, Train, certainly Bill Brill would have better info. as to the disappointments, disenchantment shared by ball players when leaving early.

Ben probably wanted some assurances as to the type of offense Duke would run in 06. My guess also is that some of the coaching turnover initiated by Roof alienated him.

What if Ben had stayed and we threw to him more often? We might have won a game or two, Ben might have gone higher in the draft, and might have been slightly better prepared for the NFL. It is not just Duke who loses when a key or potentially key player transfers. For example, had Delle Donne stayed, he might have started in 06 - now he sits on the bench, at least for now.

Bill Brill commented about the attrition of players under Roof - as this was concerning.

Getting back to Ben, who was one of the, if not the highest rated recruit brought in by Franks, my sense is that he did not have confidence in the game day coaching, signal calling, and therefore did not have a strong sense that his talents would be used to full potential. He had one more year to perform. And the Delaware staff provided assurances regarding offensive style that Duke, Roof did not.

Players Ben Patrick, Tyler Krieg and others have provided valuable information about whatever disconnects with Roof and his staff. Alleva and others in the AD interviewed these guys before they left and have the info.

An anolgoy from the business world: fairly often an insecure manager will prefer younger, less experienced workers to more experienced workers who may possess greater knowledge and ability, but who also would be more likely to question or disagree with decisions. The company suffers - not utilizing the best talent available.

A head football coach is a manager of coaches and players. He should be able to deal with strong, opinionated players and staff. It should be all about putting the best team, best coached team on the field, of helping players reach their full potential on and off the field. It should be about allowing assistant coaches to work to their potential.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    Alleva and others in the AD interviewed these guys before they left and have the info.
    When leaving, a player may or may not give a full accounting of the issues they see with a program. What is the upside? None that I can think of...downside is that they will think you are mean-spirited, disgruntled, etc. Better just to say, "Well I liked this and this, but thought I would have a better opportunity at XXXX University" and be on your merry way. This happens often in exit interviews from first hand experience, why should I give you the whole story again when you wouldn't listen to me when I was your employee and was giving you the whole story?

Speaking of Duke NFL cuts, Drew Strojny was cut recently by the Saint Louis Rams.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 09-03-2007 at 01:26 PM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Thanks JBD; you were right, I read it differently.

WFU has shown that a school half our size can compete. I don't know when they started, but it seemed that Jim Caldwell was a decent coach, coming in as a Paterno assistant. Jim Grobe has been a great hire for them, but do you think we could snag, as they did, a rising star in the lower ranks? One that thinks their career will be furthered, not hindered, by taking on the challenge of resurrecting the Duke football program? I'm not sure we have the same range of options that most schools do.

A-HEM!

I mean not to dump on Roof, but perhpas Duke needs to really go out on a limb IF they want to go after a program changer. I mean heck, it can't get much worse.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Coach P hasn't had a game yet, so it may be jumping the gun. Everyone seemed excited by Roof at the time he was hired.

So, I go back to the traditional rant - "Coach P inherited a team put together by Coach G. Give it a couple years."
    To continue the theme, to be fair, "Spurrier inherited a team put together by Coach Sloan. Give it a couple of years." He stayed three, he left the cubbard bare. Barry Wilson suffered a couple of years with minimal talent, then just as the team matured, he was shown the door (or more accurately, went through it before it slammed behind him.) Goldsmith took the players Wilson recruited, had one good season with Wilson's players (with lucky scheduling) and then didn't get any players. Franks came in without much talent, finally recruited a few, but showed he couldn't coach. Roof inherited a team at the middle of a season with some talent, did some good things the rest of the season, then lost most of the talent. The jury is still out as to whether he can recruit AND coach. (I realize most here don't believe in the latter.)

What I think Duke needs is some Cowher Power (or Cahr Pahr, if you speak Pittsburghese).

I mean, just look at that jaw! Doesn't that just exude hard-nosed football?

Of course, this would be contingent on the Redskins and Panthers jobs not becoming open in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by JDSBlueDevl View Post
    What I think Duke needs is some Cowher Power (or Cahr Pahr, if you speak Pittsburghese).

I mean, just look at that jaw! Doesn't that just exude hard-nosed football?

Of course, this would be contingent on the Redskins and Panthers jobs not becoming open in the offseason.
    that would be incredible if we could get cowher. there's no way that he would tolerate what has been tolerated for years. is this just a pipedream or is someone really working on him?

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    that would be incredible if we could get cowher. there's no way that he would tolerate what has been tolerated for years. is this just a pipedream or is someone really working on him?
    Somewhat of a pipedream, but some people in TDD are talking of actively recruiting him. Of course, it'll all come down to whether the Redskins or Panthers job opens, because there is no doubt that an open NFL job would be his first preference.