Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

half serious idea about who to replace ted roof with

what about chuck amato? true, he was mediocre at nc state, but at duke a 4 win season would be welcomed, not shunned. he has already proved that he can build a program from the ground and is a pretty good recruiter. all plusses for duke.

as for amato, im sure he would like the idea of a new head coaching job and another chance to prove himself. he would be at a place with no expecataions and when the only direction he can go is up. Throw in the renovations to Wallace Wade and duke would be an attractive position for him.

like i said, only half serious.

I was one of the few people at the game yesterday, in fact i am one of the few people with season tickets. I am not sure what, but something needs to change.

IF there is an opening, I think Paul Johnson should receive strong consideration. The word is he really wants to get to a big-name conference. PJ certainly has won big--while fielding explosive offenses--everywhere he has coached the past 20 years (Hawaii as OC, Navy as OC, Georgia Southern HC, Navy as HC). Nothing is ever guaranteed in this world, but given his glittering track record, I believe he would make Duke competitive year in and year out. He just turned 50 so his best years lie ahead.

First of all, Ted Roof is our coach and deserves our support for the time being. I hope he keeps the job for a long time as he will have to turn things around to keep it so having him still as our coach would mean things have turned around.

Secondly, the names you mention, in fact any name that anyone has heard of, will not come to Duke under the current atmosphere. Not a chance in @!^@& that Paul Johnson would take this job. Same with Chuck Amato. right now, we are deservedly seen as one of the worst jobs in all of Division I. We need to back the guy we have at the helm now, because we hav very few options if we cut him loose.

--Jason "Roof has been a good recruiter, and that is a huge part of what needed to be turned around here" Evans

Actually we would have plenty of options, Jason, but would any of them be demonstrably better than Ted?

Years ago I had an old Triumph convertible and, like most British cars it featured Lucas electronics which meant that it would fail to start on a more than infrequent basis. What was frustrating is that no matter how many times I changed the tires I still had the problem with the car not starting.

Maybe the problem with Duke football runs a little deeper than firing another coach.

Unhappy half-hearted...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Actually we would have plenty of options, Jason, but would any of them be demonstrably better than Ted?

Years ago I had an old Triumph convertible and, like most British cars it featured Lucas electronics which meant that it would fail to start on a more than infrequent basis. What was frustrating is that no matter how many times I changed the tires I still had the problem with the car not starting.

Maybe the problem with Duke football runs a little deeper than firing another coach.
    No maybe about it-it does run a lot deeper but how deep do we dig and how far and wide. Our old timers on this board(jimsumner, olympic fan, jarhead, bob green, ozzie, me, and many others who i apologetically failed to name here) have analyzed this many times over the last several years-FAR,FAR better and more often than I have and yet we still have this sad discussion. Does it begin with the AD? Does it begin with the administration? Does it begin with the head coach? How many years will it take to rectify/rebuild the program? What standards do we set? Where in the world/universe would we ever get another coach to accept this monumental challenge? I obviously do not begin to have many answers to these problems but I desperately hope for respectability for our FB program again. I would love to post some more but it's time to head to the Ted with some folks from the off-topic board to see the Bravos lose more ground to the Mutts in the NL pennant race. It is tough being a perpetual half-full fan
    Last edited by devildeac; 09-02-2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: omitted sad face

I wasn't looking in at DBR during the time Roof was hired, so I don't recall what, if any, mention Dick Biddle got hereabouts as a candidate for the job. He campaigned for a shot at it, but as I recall didn't get much of a look. I, for one, would love to see what he could do with it.

In the late '60s and early '70s there were two people in all of DUAA with intensity that was just off the charts -- Tom Butters and Dick Biddle. Biddle was the campus badass, someone you definitely didn't want to run afoul of on a drunken Saturday night, but the one guy on the defensive side of the football you could count on to really bring it every game.

His winning percentage at Colgate over 12 seasons has been .706; he has the best league record in the Patriot League over that time period. Div. One recruiting is something he would have to get up to speed on, but I think he would find a way to get players. I guarantee he would change the culture on-field and in the locker room. This is one hard-nosed guy, someone who would put real (and useful) fear into the players. And he's one of ours, a guy who did everything he could to keep Duke football from lapsing into mediocrity in the late '60s.

I don't know if it starts with the AD. Do we take the bad with the good? Folks seem to be enthralled at the choice of Coach P, but to my knowledge she hasn't coached a game at Duke yet. Several other smaller profile sports (soccer, golf, tennis) have done very well over the years. Is the same person a genius for hiring in these sports while an idiot in hiring for football? His boating problems aside, I'm not sure canning the AD would be constructive overall. With perfect information, we might just find out that we simply could not hire a better coach than Ted Roof. Not to say there wasn't a better coach than Ted Roof available at the time, but that we simply could not hire them. Think about it.

BTW, Lloyd Carr may soon be available.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Several other smaller profile sports (soccer, golf, tennis) have done very well over the years. Is the same person a genius for hiring in these sports while an idiot in hiring for football? His boating problems aside, I'm not sure canning the AD would be constructive overall.
    To the best of my knowledge, Alleva has not hired a coach with a winning record. Only two football coaches and a baseball coach who have been disasters. The last time a baseball coach was hired, they took the decision away from Alleva and made him just one vote on a committee of six. All the successful minor sport coaches you're referring to were, I believe, hired by Tom Butters. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

John Danowski

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, Alleva has not hired a coach with a winning record. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

17-3
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 09-02-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post

17-3

To be consistent, the Alleva naysayers(such as myself) will say "Danowski inherited a team put together by Mike Pressler. Give it a couple years."

Not sure if he was a committee hire, but Danowski definitely did a great job last year and with 5 seniors returning for their 5th year, our chances at competing again for a national title are very good.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 09-02-2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Clarify my competing again comment

"To the best of my knowledge, Alleva has not hired a coach with a winning record."

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    To be consistent, the Alleva naysayers(such as myself) will say "Danowski inherited a team put together by Mike Pressler.
    But that wasn't the statement.

On field performance gets balanced with

1) The need to stay in the ACC
    2) Stellar graduation rates
    3) An overall athletic program that is doing well

I think one of the things that everyone needs to be on board with are what are the real expectations for the football team. No one will ever state it in the Athletic Department, they can only say the expectation is to win...every single time you get on the field. However, my own opinion is that a 3-4 win season (with 1-2 of those being in the ACC) would be enough to keep me satisfied that we are doing the right things. An occasional 5-6 win season with a shot at a low level bowl would be a bonus every 4-5 years, but not expected. My expectations are based on what my other alma mater, Vanderbilt, has achieved. They found a good coach, Bobby Johnson, who had aleady established himself at Furman.

So, I am thinking you need the right man to find the right coach, and right now I am not sure if we have either.

emasculating student life - issues running deeper than the coach of the day

Goldsmith's 1994 team, was about the last year ATO and Phi Delt were side by side on the main quad. These frats were in essence our football dorm. When recruits came in, they attended keg parties and it seemed that we offered ball players a fairly cool place to live. Correct me as to the timing, but did not Nan break up the two frats and then eventually force both off of the main quad.

I simply do not buy that Duke cannot be better than it currently is in Football. Stadium renovations are key. Yoh will be good enough for years. Bring back some student life - this would help. Maybe, de-linking federal highway funds to States' drinking age will gain momentum. It actually seems to be in view of the Iraq and Afganistan wars - our 18 year olds are dying over there, but go off base in the US and they cannot buy a beer.

Back to the game - it seemed clear (early in the 2nd half) that Asack should have gotten more reps. That he did not - well, this suggests a lack of adjusting ones game plan as game conditions and players' performances dictated. I have to think that Spurrier and other head coaches would have been trying a number of things after the first qb fumble, interception, and first couple of sacks. What if, of course, by I say we might have won the game with Asack - short pass routes - taller qb - seeing over the lineman, higher and relatively flat ball trajectory, moving out of the pocket - fewer sacks and fewer, less likely, interceptions - sounds like a winner to me. It seemed incongruous to stick with Lewis.

Then there is the issue of keeping players. Delle Donne is sitting on the bench at Middle Tennessee State (so his move may have ben ill advised from the standpoint of getting pt). He would have been nice to have thrown into the UConn game. The issues Ben Patrick and others raised about Duke's coaching staff upon leaving the program early may be more relevant than Saturday's performance as to whether we need a coaching change.

Asack? Are you kidding?

Granted, he was instructed to run to the left and then to the right...and then to the right again. That series was a complete joke. I could buy into the first two plays if he would've run left or right and then dropped back for a pass.

We went from go for broke to the Mike McGee offense after the second offensive series. Steve Spurrier took a slow, mediocre running back and made him an All ACC tight end (Carl Franks). There needs to be some similar imagination to this edition. After the first series, there was very little misdirection and more of the same stretch plays that don't work at Duke because the O line weren't able to hold their blocks. Find a solid O line amidst what we have and a punter. That would've helped us immensely yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    I simply do not buy that Duke cannot be better than it currently is in Football.
    I agree 110%

The issues Ben Patrick and others raised about Duke's coaching staff upon leaving the program early may be more relevant than Saturday's performance as to whether we need a coaching change
    I'm not familiar with the comments...please elaborate.

Did you try replacing your Johnson rods and blinker fluids?

Could it also have been

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Did you try replacing your Johnson rods and blinker fluids?
    His gonkulator? I have had to replace a few of those.

I checked my alternator...

...it was full.

Your ID under your Avatar says it all...

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    ...it was full.
    I guess it was the Starter the whole time.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 09-02-2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Should have said title under ID as the subject