Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    Umm... They have a top 5 incoming class, while we don't have a top 50 class. And at the end of the day, we didn't beat them.
    I don't have as much of a problem with Texas A and M being ranked in the top 25 as I do UNC being ranked in the top 25 and we're not. Granted, we lost our bowl game and I think Carolina winning had a lot to do with them being ranked in this way too early preseason top 25 poll. We beat UNC 2 years in a row and at the very least, if UNC is thought of enough to be ranked in the top 25, we should be too, especially considering that many at the beginninng of the this season thought next year's team would be better.

2. Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    Umm... They have a top 5 incoming class, while we don't have a top 50 class. And at the end of the day, we didn't beat them.
    I can see this being an issue in the next next or next next next season, but for 2014-2015 we're a lot less reliant on freshmen than A&M.

And we would have won if not for Manziel, who nobody expects to be returning next season. Maybe even EASILY if their quarterback was only SEC-average instead of being a former Heisman Trophy winner -- and it's kinda hard to replace those guys.

I'd put even-money on Duke if we had a rematch next year on a neutral site.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    I can see this being an issue in the next next or next next next season, but for 2014-2015 we're a lot less reliant on freshmen than A&M.

And we would have won if not for Manziel, who nobody expects to be returning next season. Maybe even EASILY if their quarterback was only SEC-average instead of being a former Heisman Trophy winner -- and it's kinda hard to replace those guys.

I'd put even-money on Duke if we had a rematch next year on a neutral site.
    And, of course, recruiting rankings don't mean everything. That said, their recruiting class ranking for each of their classes dominate ours. We both lose players, we both have players maturing, and we both have new incoming freshman. We've been upgrading talent. They've been upgrading talent. We've got a great coach pushing our program in the right direction, they've got a great coach pushing their program in the right direction. If you took a poll, I think consensus would be Duke outperformed while A&M underperformed. The projected ranking or whatever it is simply reflects a bit of a reversion to the relative means and talent levels. Yes, I'm hopeful Duke did not overachieve, but I don't see it as an outrageous position.

And, of course, recruiting rankings don't mean everything. That said, their recruiting class ranking for each of their classes dominate ours. We both lose players, we both have players maturing, and we both have new incoming freshman. We've been upgrading talent. They've been upgrading talent. We've got a great coach pushing our program in the right direction, they've got a great coach pushing their program in the right direction. If you took a poll, I think consensus would be Duke outperformed while A&M underperformed. The projected ranking or whatever it is simply reflects a bit of a reversion to the relative means and talent levels. Yes, I'm hopeful Duke did not overachieve, but I don't see it as an outrageous position.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that A&M did not upgrade at QB...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that A&M did not upgrade at QB...
    point taken. most important player on their team. i believe we're losing cockrell, anunike, harding, simmons, braxton, among others - not exactly chopped liver.

point taken. most important player on their team. i believe we're losing cockrell, anunike, harding, simmons, braxton, among others - not exactly chopped liver.
    Right, but the secondary is deep. Braxton was a #3 or 4 guy. Simmons and Anunike will be the hardest to replace, IMO. But none are on the level of Manziel... None are first round picks.

Duke losses

Well, we lost Simmons before the bowl game and still gained almost 700 yards on A&M with Lucas Patrick replacing Perry.

In fact, Duke will return nine of the 11 offensive starters in the A&M game (must replace Dave Harding and Brandon Braxton). Duke will return both kickers and both kick returners (who both made All-American teams).

On defense, there are some holes to fill. Cockrell was a great player, but his spot goes to Breon Borders, who intercepted the Heisman Trophy winner twice. We have All-ACC safety Jeremy Cash and ton of other young DBs (Devon Edwards, Dwayne Norman, Byron Fields, DeAndre Singleton, Corbin McCarthy).

We return both starting linebackers -- one first-team All-ACC (Kelby Brown) and the other the leading tackler in the ACC (David Helton). Backing them up are a senior (CJ France) and a junior (Kyler Brown) who have starting experience.

The biggest hole is the DL, where we lose three senior starters, but we return a fifth-year senior DT who started all this year (Bruce) and three senior DEs who have started before (Dez Johnson, Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo and Jonathan Woodruff).

We'll add a couple of major talents who missed this year with injuries (QB Thomas Sirk; OT Tanner Stone) and some very promising redshirts (CB Evrett Edwards, LB Dominic McDonald, DT Mike Ramsey ...)

Cut's program is starting to kick into high gear. We lost some good players a year ago -- Renfree, Vernon, Scott and Canty -- but were deeper and more talented this past year. We lost some good players off this team as you mention -- Cockrell, Anunike, Simmons, Harding, Foxx -- but will be deeper, more talented and more experienced next year.

8. It's official - Johnny Football is going pro: http://www.usatoday.com/videos/sport...01/09/4377231/