Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    the redshirts always get killed, though. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.
    Five minutes after reading that, I am still laughing.

WR Keyston Fuller to Duke. His offer sheet is impressive: Texas A&M, Georgia, Clemson, UNC, Georgia Tech, Nebraska, Mississippi State.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=6765583

EDIT: 4 Star on ESPN. Fuller is #193 on the Top 300 list:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...keyston-fuller
    Last edited by Bob Green; 06-23-2014 at 04:19 PM.
    Bob Green

Great News!! I really liked him as a prospect, but thought the chances were slim to none he'd commit to Duke. Shows what I know
    Keep reeling 'em in Cut, I see an even higher powered offense in our future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    WR Keyston Fuller to Duke. His offer sheet is impressive: Texas A&M, Georgia, Clemson, UNC, Georgia Tech, Nebraska, Mississippi State.

Quote Originally Posted by rhynelander View Post
    Great News!! I really liked him as a prospect, but thought the chances were slim to none he'd commit to Duke. Shows what I know
    Keep reeling 'em in Cut, I see an even higher powered offense in our future.
    Meant to include this earlier...

Bq1rxLDCIAAuHHw.jpg

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=6765583

EDIT: 4 Star on ESPN. Fuller is #193 on the Top 300 list:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...keyston-fuller
    Offhand, I can't recall an offer sheet like that for a Duke-committed recruit (knock on wood till Signing Day) since Vince Oghobasse, and that was 10 years ago.

This 2015 class is shaping up quite nicely.

Great work by Coach Cut and the rest of the staff!

All 3-star recruits and some borderline 4-stars.

Also great to see us complete the move away from an in-state focus to a truly national scope. That's what will allow us to take the next step in football recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Great work by Coach Cut and the rest of the staff!

All 3-star recruits and some borderline 4-stars.

Also great to see us complete the move away from an in-state focus to a truly national scope. That's what will allow us to take the next step in football recruiting.
    well, to be fair, past coaches recruited nationally too...but only because they had to reach far and wide to find 20 people who wanted to come play at duke every year...

I like cutcliffe's way better.
    April 1

Okay I'm a novice at football recruiting and how it works, but what's the deal with all the WRs? 4 WRs in this class alone, and we're probably not done there yet.

I get that you can convert WRs to CBs or Safeties, but we're not lacking recruits there either (although only 1 safety in this class). Isn't this a little over kill?
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Okay I'm a novice at football recruiting and how it works, but what's the deal with all the WRs? 4 WRs in this class alone, and we're probably not done there yet.

I get that you can convert WRs to CBs or Safeties, but we're not lacking recruits there either (although only 1 safety in this class). Isn't this a little over kill?
    No inside info, but Duke often uses 3 or more WR in a set and likes to rotate WRs during a game. Similarly, they'll play 5 defensive backs at a time. The latest commit Fuller seems like a must have even if some good WRs had already committed. Seems like going for over 400 yards passing in the Chick-Fil-A game in Atlanta has helped recruiting in at least two important areas -- WR and prospects from Georgia.

I'd be surprised if we see another WR for the balance of the 2015 class; likely priorities are now RB, LB, and OL.

Regrading WRs and why they are important, look at the NFL. Which players become franchise players for their teams? They are likely either QBs or WRs. These two positions are central to the current style of play though there is a bit of an ongoing dust up over whether TEs as they are used on some teams should also be franchise players with the salary that goes with that designation.

As you point out, WRs tend to be good athletes who can play more than one position. The same sort of reassignment often happens with QBs.

When the names are read out on National Signing Day at Duke, most are listed with rather generic position designations. What position they will play becomes a matter of where they can best serve the team's needs.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Regrading WRs and why they are important, look at the NFL. Which players become franchise players for their teams? They are likely either QBs or WRs. These two positions are central to the current style of play though there is a bit of an ongoing dust up over whether TEs as they are used on some teams should also be franchise players with the salary that goes with that designation.
    Plus, not all WR's have an adamantium skeleton like Conner Vernon. They get banged up..a lot. It is nice to have some a dependable stable of backups.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Plus, not all WR's have an adamantium skeleton like Conner Vernon. They get banged up..a lot. It is nice to have some a dependable stable of backups.
    It's especially important in a position as crucial to the game plans as WR tend to be. It was not so very long ago that despite the depth chart at the beginning of the season, we were down to one QB... Depth can disappear in the blink of the eye.

Punter Austin Parker (6'1" 170) is verbal #12:

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=7859658

He is an in state player from Mount Pleasant, NC.
    Very Exciting! This is from my wife's alma mater and I can see the stadium lights from my front porch. Guess we'll have to check out a game or two this fall. I had heard rumor of it this weekend.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Offhand, I can't recall an offer sheet like that for a Duke-committed recruit (knock on wood till Signing Day) since Vince Oghobasse, and that was 10 years ago.

This 2015 class is shaping up quite nicely.
    Actually, take a look at Lloyd's offer sheet from last year's class: Florida, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Miami, Va Tech, South Carolina, Illinois (as well as UNC).

2015 Athlete Depriest Turner has committed to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    2015 Athlete Depriest Turner has committed to Duke.
    One more reason to ring the Victory Bell... it's been filling the Yoh with peals of excitement for new Cheetahs heading to Durham.

Remember, Cut likes speed. WRs are usually the fastest sprinters on their high school team.

In Cut's system the possible substitutions go far beyond DB. RB is an option if he can block well: we saw Desmond Scott successfully convert in the other direction, and the snaps given to Snead over bigger & more experienced players like Juwan shows how much a quick/nimble runner is prized here. Perhaps even more important, fast-twitch track-star types have been critical to our turnaround on special teams, which went from a huge liability to the league standard in just a few years.

Plus, let's not forget these kids are 16 years old. Never know who might fill out to a TE-like build after a few more years in the gym.

Having spent most of the past 47 years watching Duke get burned by faster players, I say keep signing them until the pen runs out of ink.

As some have noted, some of these guys are already slated to play defensive back...and some that hybrid safety position that Cash plays (where you need
    a fairly big kid).

Now we need a couple of running backs, a linebacker, and a top DL guy or two...

Trey Turner plays quarterback in high school, but he will almost certainly be a safety at Duke ... in fact, he seems to be a perfect candidate to replace Jeremy Cash at the strike position in a couple of years.

He's 6-1, 185 with 4.41 speed.

Bear Bryant (who was Cutcliffe's ultimate mentor) always recruited a ton of quarterbacks, believing they were the best athletes on their high school teams. He'd turn them into RBs, WRs, DBs and sometimes LBs. This appears to be a perfect example of Bryant's philosophy.