Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Monday announcement:

3 Star Center Brian Chaffin (6'2" 280) from Charlotte Christian will announce on Monday at 6 pm. Supposedly it is down to Duke, Stanford and NC State. Lots of speculation that Stanford is too far away and Chaffin likes State because of the availability of immediate playing time. Hopefully he takes a good, hard look at the long term situation before making his final decision.

We will know in 22 hours!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Monday announcement:

3 Star Center Brian Chaffin (6'2" 280) from Charlotte Christian will announce on Monday at 6 pm. Supposedly it is down to Duke, Stanford and NC State. Lots of speculation that Stanford is too far away and Chaffin likes State because of the availability of immediate playing time. Hopefully he takes a good, hard look at the long term situation before making his final decision.

We will know in 22 hours!
    Another sign of the changing times in football fortunes -- easier for a good young OL prospect to find playing time at NC State than at Duke.

Chaffin has committed to Stanford. I would have loved to see him in Durham, but I wish him the best of luck in California.
    Bob Green

Even if we missed on Chaffin, the good news keeps coming in. Two more 3 star recruits signed up today. WR TJ Rahming and DE Trevon McSwain are the newest members of the 11 strong a growing recruiting class of '15.

http://duke.247sports.com/

The two new commits are 3-star according to scout ... in fact, all 11 commits so far are three-star, according to scout. ESPN has rated just six of our 11 so far and they have all six of those at three stars.

I don't have access to the rivals database. but I understand that California OT Reno Rosene is a four-star on their list.

Interesting that we have three defensive ends and three wide receivers (who could, obviously, switch to DB) in the class so far. Just one QB, OLB, OT, S and DT.

Sure we add at least one RB, at least one TE, probably two more OL, two more LBs and at least one (maybe two) DTs .. I guess a couple of more DBs, but that's were we're loaded with young talents.

Both our kickers are rising juniors, so probably be a kicker and a punter in the 2016 class.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't have access to the rivals database. but I understand that California OT Reno Rosene is a four-star on their list.
    Correct. Here's a public Rivals list showing him as four-star. But if a kid is 6-7 and 345 and not even a senior in HS yet, imagine his physical presence after a year (or two if he redshirts) of hitting the weights hard. Scary. Give him as many stars as he wants just so he doesn't hurt us.

Quote Originally Posted by rhynelander View Post
    Even if we missed on Chaffin, the good news keeps coming in. Two more 3 star recruits signed up today. WR TJ Rahming and DE Trevon McSwain are the newest members of the 11 strong a growing recruiting class of '15.

http://duke.247sports.com/
    McSwain especially looks like a big addition.

His rivals.yahoo profile shows him as 6'6" 223# with offers from Georgia Tech, Nebraska, Tennessee, and Wisconsin among 13 total offers.

This will be a BIG year for Duke Football recruiting. I had the pleasure of meeting the Frazier kid (RB from Princeton) and his coach a few weeks ago and they both had high praise for Cut and the Duke coaching staff. I had a long conversation with the coach about Duke football's uprising and he told me flat out that the Duke coaching staff is probably THE MOST respected group in the State at the moment. He also had a lot of great things to say about our new offensive coordinator...I asked him about Frazier and Duke's chances and while he obviously doesn't know much this early he did tell me 2 things that I don't read much into either way.

He told me Duke has an excellent shot at landing either Bryce Love, Nyheim Hines or Frazier and for some reason he made the point that Frazier wouldn't be going to the same school as Hines whatever that means. If I had to guess I would say that we have a great shot at Hines...

TJ Rahming's profile on Scout lists his 40 time at 4.39! That's quick. His other offers include: Tennessee, Mississippi State, California, Cincinnati and Wake Forest. Recruiting is achieving big time success in Georgia as five of our 11 recruits are from there.
    Bob Green

TJ Rahming's profile on Scout lists his 40 time at 4.39! That's quick. His other offers include: Tennessee, Mississippi State, California, Cincinnati and Wake Forest. Recruiting is achieving big time success in Georgia as five of our 11 recruits are from there.
    Local bowl games will do that!

With these signings, one report indicates our overall recruiting rank is up #5 in the ACC and #26 in the country (between Arkansas and Kentucky). Pretty amazing, really...

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-...nally-29183682

Sure we add at least one RB, at least one TE, probably two more OL, two more LBs and at least one (maybe two) DTs .. I guess a couple of more DBs, but that's were we're loaded with young talents.
    This class is projected to be 21 or 22 recruits so we have 10 or 11 slots open. Two running backs, a tight end, another defensive tackle, two more offensive lineman and two more linebackers account for eight slots, which leaves two or three slots open for a combination of "best athlete available" type recruits and National Signing Day commits. 2015 has the potential to be a superb class!

I've said it before and never get tired of saying it, exciting times to be a Duke football fan.
    Bob Green

Punter Austin Parker (6'1" 170) is verbal #12:

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=7859658

He is an in state player from Mount Pleasant, NC.
    Bob Green

To my surprise, Duke just received a commitment from punter Austin Parker from Mt. Pleasant, NC

With Monday heading for his junior year, I really didn't think Duke would add a punter in this class.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    To my surprise, Duke just received a commitment from punter Austin Parker from Mt. Pleasant, NC

With Monday heading for his junior year, I really didn't think Duke would add a punter in this class.
    Who is Monday's backup? Is he any good? (His backup, not Parker.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Who is Monday's backup?
    Sophomore Danny Stirt:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...&Q_SEASON=2014

He did not punt a ball last season.
    Bob Green

I've seen reports that 6-4 265 lb. recruit Zach Morris, listed as a DE, is going to be a DT at Duke, so that would give us two DTs at this point.

Sophomore Danny Stirt:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...&Q_SEASON=2014

He did not punt a ball last season.
    Had a nice chat with his Dad before the CFA Bowl. He is very pleased with the redshirt decision and very happy with the program.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Doesn't it make sense though? He redshirts Monday's senior year, and then we have a guy with a year experience with our coaches ready to step in as a RS freshman (unless one of the punters currently on the roster beats him out). No reason to wait until the last minute to pick up a good kicker (referring to both positions who use their feet here), we have seen what not having the right guy in that spot can do to us firsthand.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Doesn't it make sense though? He redshirts Monday's senior year, and then we have a guy with a year experience with our coaches ready to step in as a RS freshman (unless one of the punters currently on the roster beats him out). No reason to wait until the last minute to pick up a good kicker (referring to both positions who use their feet here), we have seen what not having the right guy in that spot can do to us firsthand.
    the redshirts always get killed, though. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.
    April 1