Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    If he were to decide next August to transfer to UCLA or Georgia, yes, he could play right away after sitting out this year.

BUT ... the five-years-to-play-four rule applies to transfers. He STILL loses the chance to redshirt. That's all he's lost at Duke.

I don't see the problem. Duncan played as a true freshman at Duke. This will count the same as a redshirt year. He'll still play four seasons for Duke (2012, 2013, 2015, 2016).

The only way it hurts is if he suffers a preseason or early season injury before the 2015 or 2016 seasons. Unlike Kelby or Braxton, he won't be eligible to apply for a medical hardship year.

BTW: Issac Blakeney also missed a season (2011) because of academic reasons. Unlike Duncan, he will lose a year because he redshirted as a true freshman (2010). So Kenny ends up playing just three years at Duke (2012, 2013, 2014).
    Well, Kenny Blakeney did sit out most of the 1994 season due to academic reasons.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If he were to decide next August to transfer to UCLA or Georgia, yes, he could play right away after sitting out this year.

BUT ... the five-years-to-play-four rule applies to transfers. He STILL loses the chance to redshirt. That's all he's lost at Duke.

I don't see the problem. Duncan played as a true freshman at Duke. This will count the same as a redshirt year. He'll still play four seasons for Duke (2012, 2013, 2015, 2016).

The only way it hurts is if he suffers a preseason or early season injury before the 2015 or 2016 seasons. Unlike Kelby or Braxton, he won't be eligible to apply for a medical hardship year.

BTW: Issac Blakeney also missed a season (2011) because of academic reasons. Unlike Duncan, he will lose a year because he redshirted as a true freshman (2010). So Kenny ends up playing just three years at Duke (2012, 2013, 2014).
    Thanks, very informative. I don't see it as a problem, just a curiosity.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It seems odd that they count a year that he isn't even taking class. He isn't on campus, he isn't doing anything that is university sanctioned. He flat out is not a student in any capacity. If he were to transfer, would the year count against him, too? Would he have to sit out a year at his new school?
    This is one of those things that looks stupid at first blush-- but can you IMAGINE what the SEC would do with that loophole?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    From reading reports, it seems that Nyheim is making every effort not to distinguish among his favorites. 247 has Clemson as the favorite, followed by NC State and Duke. Going only from a football angle, Clemson has its advantages. A solidly top 20 program with a top 3 2015 recruiting class, Nyheim would have two elite offensive linemen just in his class (and 2 other solid offensive linemen). espn ranks theirs as the 2nd best O line in the conference. if things break well, he could be the running back on a team that competes for a NC. That's potentially persuasive. (http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/7/...son-conference). Otoh, Duke's O line is ranked 4th in that article, and we're all aware of our recent progression. Further, Clemson has already recruited a 4 star athlete who plays Nyheim's position, the Tigers may be destined to play second fiddle to FSU for the foreseeable future. NC State may be a sentimental favorite, but he'd be an outlier for their recruiting class (which is now rated #76 at 247, between SMU and Houston). From a Goldilocks perspective, Duke might be exactly not too hot or cold... we are in the correct Carolina, we should be annually competitive to win the Coastal, and we have a clear history of playing multiple running backs--which means he would almost certainly get lots of touches. Obviously, anybody would want him on their team, but it would still be a natural step for him to choose Duke.
    So are you saying you feel Duke has a better shot at Hines than Gallaspy? On 247, it seemed as if Duke was Gallaspy's clear leader for a very long time. That seems to have gone in the wrong direction lately.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    So are you saying you feel Duke has a better shot at Hines than Gallaspy? On 247, it seemed as if Duke was Gallaspy's clear leader for a very long time. That seems to have gone in the wrong direction lately.
    It seems that we'd like one of these two terrific backs. No info beyond that.

This article at Blue Devil Nation provides updates on some of the incoming recruits and recruiting targets:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/08/f...014-edition-1/

Running back is the remaining position of need in the 2015 class and several targets had big games in their season openers.
    Bob Green

Duke just confirmed that two members of the 2015 recruiting class will enroll in January.

Both OT Reno Rosene and DE Marquies Price have signed scholarship agreements to enroll at Duke for the second semester.

Rosene, from California, is listed at 6-7, 325. He's a four-star recruit according to Rivals ... three-star for scout and ESPN. Price is a 6-6, 220-pounder from Georgia. He's three-star with all the major services.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Rosene, from California, is listed at 6-7, 325.
    So...he is a box. Wow.
    Looking forward to spring practice reports on both.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke just confirmed that two members of the 2015 recruiting class will enroll in January.

Both OT Reno Rosene and DE Marquies Price have signed scholarship agreements to enroll at Duke for the second semester.

Rosene, from California, is listed at 6-7, 325. He's a four-star recruit according to Rivals ... three-star for scout and ESPN. Price is a 6-6, 220-pounder from Georgia. He's three-star with all the major services.
    Yeah, here's a release from Duke Sports Information that appeared on goduke.com

Interesting to see an early enrollment from an offensive lineman; that is normally a developmental position, where good prospects need a year or more to develop, especially in the strength area, before playing. Laken Tomlinson, for example, was a highly regarded recruit who has become a very good lineman and a potential high draft choice; even he redshirted a year before seeing action. Perhaps Rosene and the coaches think he can contribute as a true freshman?

Both early enrollees seem like very good prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Interesting to see an early enrollment from an offensive lineman; that is normally a developmental position, where good prospects need a year or more to develop, especially in the strength area, before playing. Laken Tomlinson, for example, was a highly regarded recruit who has become a very good lineman and a potential high draft choice; even he redshirted a year before seeing action. Perhaps Rosene and the coaches think he can contribute as a true freshman?

Cutcliffe has redshirted every freshman offensive lineman he's had at Duke.

Can Rosene be the one to break that trend? Something to monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

How do bowl games fall within the semester system at Duke?

I seem to recall guys eligible to play (bball) in the second semester could begin appearing in games at the end of December - after the first semester but in the break before the second semester began. In the 5 years to complete 4, could a spring enrolling fb player take a redshirt year and still play in a January 2020 bowl game in his fifth year (less than 5 calendar years after the start of his 2015 spring semester)?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Cutcliffe has redshirted every freshman offensive lineman he's had at Duke.

Can Rosene be the one to break that trend? Something to monitor.
    Leaving aside the extra year of financial commitment, I can think of two reasons not to redshirt Rosene: 1. A burning need on the O-line; or 2. He's physically mature now and would not benefit from an extra year of practice and conditioning. I doubt #2 is the case, and I hope #1 is not.

Am I remembering correctly that a couple decades ago, Duke football freshmen were not redshirted as a matter of course? I seem to recall that the policy put us at a competitive disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Leaving aside the extra year of financial commitment, I can think of two reasons not to redshirt Rosene: 1. A burning need on the O-line; or 2. He's physically mature now and would not benefit from an extra year of practice and conditioning. I doubt #2 is the case, and I hope #1 is not.

Am I remembering correctly that a couple decades ago, Duke football freshmen were not redshirted as a matter of course? I seem to recall that the policy put us at a competitive disadvantage.
    Yep. In the 1970s and 1980s. Spurrier may have gotten the policy changes, or maybe Steve Sloan.

Heck, in my era the only "redshirt" I remember clearly was Billy Futrell, who ran for a long TD against Carolina in his fifth year -- while he was a first-year student at Duke Med. I believe Bill Murray did redshirt some players. I remember, fer instance, the "redshirt that failed" -- QB Gil Garner was sitting out his sophomore year to preserve his eligibility for one more year after Altman and Rappold graduated. In the Wake game, however, which Duke won by a bundle of points, during the confusion of getting the subs into the game, Garner was sent in by accident and burned his redshirt year in mop-up duty. Otherwise, there were certainly sophomores who preserved eligibility by not getting in a game, but I can't remember any who stayed for a fifth year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Here is an update on high school performances of several 2015 Duke commits and players Duke is still recruiting:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/09/f...014-edition-2/

With continued success on the field, recruiting will continue to roll on!
    Bob Green

Nyhiem Hines

Last night Hines ran for 235 yards on 8 carries and 4 touchdowns to go along with it. He was pulled in the second half because his team was up so much. I was there, and I can tell you for a fact that Hines had this years Duke summer camp shirt on underneath his pads. It also appeared as if the Duke coaching staff was there as well. Take what you want from that, but I think our chances with Nyhiem are better than people think.

Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    Last night Hines ran for 235 yards on 8 carries and 4 touchdowns to go along with it. He was pulled in the second half because his team was up so much. I was there, and I can tell you for a fact that Hines had this years Duke summer camp shirt on underneath his pads. It also appeared as if the Duke coaching staff was there as well. Take what you want from that, but I think our chances with Nyhiem are better than people think.
    Reading the "tee leaves" is an honorable tradition at DBR.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

17. Gallaspy had a strong game last night, 276 yds and 3 scores.

http://www.news-record.com/football/...7a43b2370.html

Wide receiver commit T.J. Rahming (#21 in white) is currently playing on ESPNU.
    Bob Green

T.J. Rahming with the game winning touchdown:

https://vine.co/v/OW2hjtjOvYH
    Bob Green

I wonder if we have taken a look at this guy, if only to keep UNC from grabbing him to be their Supervisor of Morale.

http://thefanbuzz.com/story/high-sch...O7Oivf4Rgux.01