Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Here's a nice little SI article on Duke football recruiting:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2...ke-blue-devils

Gallaspy to NC State

Saw in the Winston-Salem Journal today that Running Back Reggie Gallaspy from Southern Guilford has announced his commitment to the Wolfpack.

He was previously mentioned as having a strong interest in Duke, but I think things cooled off a while back. Gallaspy, who is 5'11" 215#, is having a great season so far with over 1600 yards in 6 games.

I believe Hines from Garner remains our top priority at Running Back; don't know if there are other possibilities for this position at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Gallaspy, who is 5'11" 215#, is having a great season so far with over 1600 yards in 6 games.
    Is this accurate? That means he is averaging close to 270 yards per game. I don't follow high school football but that seems like it would be quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Is this accurate? That means he is averaging close to 270 yards per game. I don't follow high school football but that seems like it would be quite impressive.
    It's decently impressive, but a few things to consider:

- Southern Guilford is a 3A school, which means it's not one of the larger schools in NC. NC goes up to 4A in schools.
    - High school competition in football is even more watered down than the competition in basketball.
    - NC, while a decent recruiting area, is no Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, etc.

That said, the current top freshman running back is Todd Gurley, who hails from Tarboro, NC. Tarboro is a 1A school.

Also, TA McClendon, who was a solid RB at NCSU went to a small 1A school (Albemarle).

So conclusion is, it's not unheard of for a HS RB to dominate at a smaller school and do well in college. But it's also no guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Yeah, he's having quite a year; Southern Guilford is a 3-A school (and 4-A is the top classification in NC) so he's not playing against the best high school competition, but not bad.

Here's a link from the local TV station:

Southern Guilford's Reggie Gallaspy Picks N.C. State

Note -- I see FerryFor50 has provided some of the same info

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

- Southern Guilford is a 3A school, which means it's not one of the larger schools in NC. NC goes up to 4A in schools.
    - High school competition in football is even more watered down than the competition in basketball.
    - NC, while a decent recruiting area, is no Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, etc.

That said, the current top freshman running back is Todd Gurley, who hails from Tarboro, NC. Tarboro is a 1A school.

Also, TA McClendon, who was a solid RB at NCSU went to a small 1A school (Albemarle).

So conclusion is, it's not unheard of for a HS RB to dominate at a smaller school and do well in college. But it's also no guarantee.
    Good info. One minor addition: For FB, NC goes to a 4AA level now and has for a few years to keep some of the really large (mostly) city HS in another "category" for playoffs, though they still compete in the same regular season leagues. ("Team sports have a separate state championship competition and title for each of the classifications. The only exceptions are cases in which the 1A & 2A classifications are combined, or in football, where each classification is separated into a single "A" and double "A" (AA) classification, with the double "A" classification being made up of larger schools than the single "A".")
    From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_C...ic_Association

The cut-off for this is 2000 students.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/...-for.html?rh=1
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

One correction - meant to say that Gurley is the top running back, not freshman. Gurley is a junior.

I know Hines is our No. 1 RB target, but Duke has also offered Albert Funderburke, a 5-11, 200-pound running back from Sun Valley High in Monroe.

Interesting that Monroe High is a 1-A school -- and gave us Jamison Crowder, Issac Blakeney and Quay Chambers. Sun Valley is in the same town, but is 3-A.

I found a lot of conflicting info about the guy (for instance his speed is listed on various sites anywhere from 4.4 to 4.5 to 4.81!), but he has rushed for over 2,000 yards in each of the last two seasons and is already over 1,000 yards less than halfway through this season.

Duke was the first school to offer. Both Northwestern and Wake Forest have also offered. A bunch of schools are recruiting him, but have not offered yet.

I have no idea of his status ... at one point, he was considered a Duke lean, now it seems like Wake Forest may be the favorite. Or he may be waiting to make sure Duke's doesn't get Hines before making his choice. But that's all based on internet stuff, so take it FWIW.

It looks like we have backed off Bryce Love of Wake Forest (the town, not the school) -- or maybe he backed off us. Too bad, I REALLY liked the guy (about equal to Hines and much more than the Frazier kid who committed to FSU).

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I know Hines is our No. 1 RB target, but Duke has also offered Albert Funderburke, a 5-11, 200-pound running back from Sun Valley High in Monroe.

Interesting that Monroe High is a 1-A school -- and gave us Jamison Crowder, Issac Blakeney and Quay Chambers. Sun Valley is in the same town, but is 3-A.

I found a lot of conflicting info about the guy (for instance his speed is listed on various sites anywhere from 4.4 to 4.5 to 4.81!), but he has rushed for over 2,000 yards in each of the last two seasons and is already over 1,000 yards less than halfway through this season.

Duke was the first school to offer. Both Northwestern and Wake Forest have also offered. A bunch of schools are recruiting him, but have not offered yet.

I have no idea of his status ... at one point, he was considered a Duke lean, now it seems like Wake Forest may be the favorite. Or he may be waiting to make sure Duke's doesn't get Hines before making his choice. But that's all based on internet stuff, so take it FWIW.

It looks like we have backed off Bryce Love of Wake Forest (the town, not the school) -- or maybe he backed off us. Too bad, I REALLY liked the guy (about equal to Hines and much more than the Frazier kid who committed to FSU).
    . . . or he may have seen a certain Freshman running back already on the Duke team.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    . . . or he may have seen a certain Freshman running back already on the Duke team.
    To your point, barring the unforeseen Shaun Wilson will be on the depth chart next year. Duke also get's back Jela Duncan for what I believe is two more years of eligibility. That makes a solid four back rotation when paired with Shaq Powell and Joseph Ajeigbe. Personally, I'm fascinated by the thought of Nyheim Hines could come to Duke, but bummed that Reggie Gallaspy has chosen NCSU. Gallaspy for the longest time seemed like the more likely recruit to commit to the Blue Devils. He seems very much like a Powell/Duncan style of runner - capable blocker, powerful runner between the tackles with an ability to get the job done near the goal line, possesses great speed and the ability to catch the ball. Now more than ever, I'm very anxious to see who Hines chooses. He seems to have a tremendous skill set, perhaps more on par with Wilson...and that's not a bad thing what so ever. If Nyheim is suiting up for Duke next year, I'm pumped! Not to mention the recruiting class rankings would get a nice boost. It's easy to assume that most of the agencies would have the Blue Devils inside the Top 25. However, if we miss on a RB in this year's class, the fan base shouldn't panic. True, it will hurt the Red-Shirt Freshman pipeline. That said, the Blue Devils should be just fine next year with their four returning to represent the right shade of blue.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    For those curious like me who are too lazy to click the link (unlike me)

Dukes Recruiting Rankings by year

2015 - 28 (currently)
    2014 - 51
    2013 - 65
    2012 - Not on list, but it only goes to 25 instead of 75... so who knows

Still I like the trend! Almost beating Johnny Footbal and Winning the coastal seem to have helped.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    One of the reasons I don't follow FB recruiting as much as bball. I hope the guys we've "gotten" stick with us.
    96. How many prospects will flip? To date, Over 35 prospects in the ESPN 300 have decommitted or flipped their commitments. With more than 30 committed prospects still making official visits or planning to make visits, that number could reach as high as 70, considering both the Florida and Michigan jobs could open which could start a chain reaction depending on future hires. There is no doubt that 2015 is the class of flips, and it has only just begun.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-100-days-away
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    One of the reasons I don't follow FB recruiting as much as bball. I hope the guys we've "gotten" stick with us.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-100-days-away
    Compared with some other schools, we have very low attrition rates. Part of it is finding the right people to begin with, part of it is Cut's unwillingness to accept so-called "soft verbals" (i.e., Cut wants recruits to shut down their recruiting once they commit to Duke, and that O.V.'s to other schools could jeopardize their spot on Duke's roster).

Some of the attrition for Duke's commits is due to some other off-field issue, like academics or other. But most of the guys who commit to Duke sign with Duke. FB recruiting can be a lot of fun, but it does require some Maalox from time to time.

Rashad Roundtree

4-Star Safety Rashad Roundtree from Georgia is scheduled to announce his college choice tomorrow 11/7.

It's a 3-team race between UGa, Ohio State, and Duke, with Georgia the strong favorite. However, our friend Adam Rowe recently came out with a crystal ball prediction of Duke; that would be great.

We already have a kicker in the list for next year, but this guy seems to be unrecruited so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_w-olccq7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28xxQ8I8WN0

Also leads his team in interceptions, has a couple touchdowns receiving, won two events at his county track championships, and is on the basketball team.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    4-Star Safety Rashad Roundtree from Georgia is scheduled to announce his college choice tomorrow 11/7.

It's a 3-team race between UGa, Ohio State, and Duke, with Georgia the strong favorite. However, our friend Adam Rowe recently came out with a crystal ball prediction of Duke; that would be great.
    One of the other guys on Airowe's site predicted OSU on the same day - apparently Roundtree just had a great visit there. That said, we have a real shot for a premium prospect, which is very exciting, and we've stolen guys away from in-state powerhouses already (although USC is attempting to try and steal Petite away)
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Rashad Roundtree has picked Georgia, which is no real surprise.
    Bob Green

It's looking like Nyheim Hines is pointing towards NC State, but Johnny Frasier seems inclined to decommit from FSU after they recently recruited a slightly higher rated RB.

Frasier says that FSU still leads, but he apparently told a Tennessee website that Tennessee, Duke, and NC State are now tied for 2nd. Further, he took an unofficial visit to Duke for the Carolina game, whereupon Adam Rowe switched his 247 pick from FSU to Duke. Frasier is a high 4 star player from Princeton, NC. Combining his soph, jr, and senior years, he (Frasier, not Adam Rowe) has rushed 669 times for over 7000 yards and 98 touchdowns. He'd be a real jewel for the 2015 class.

http://247sports.com/Player/Johnny-Frasier-37770
    http://www.wbir.com/story/sports/col...list/18150001/
    Last edited by johnb; 11-25-2014 at 03:17 PM.