Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Michigan Loses to Appalachian State

This is obviously a HUGE upset. Does this reach the level of Chaminade defeating UVA? I always thought it was A LOT harder to pull a major upset in CFB than in CBB. But thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    This is obviously a HUGE upset. Does this reach the level of Chaminade defeating UVA? I always thought it was A LOT harder to pull a major upset in CFB than in CBB. But thats just me.
    App State is IIRC the best team in division I-AA year in and year out. They're capable of beating many div-1 teams, but this is clearly a huge upset (understatement of the year). I'm about to make a bad comparison, but I would think AppState football > Chaminade basketball. Having said that, I'd say it's still much more embarrassing for Michigan than UVa after Chaminade, just because of the division difference.
    Last edited by hc5duke; 09-01-2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: div 1-aa, not 2

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    App State is IIRC the best team in division I-AA year in and year out. They're capable of beating many div-1 teams, but this is clearly a huge upset (understatement of the year). I'm about to make a bad comparison, but I would think AppState football > Chaminade basketball. Having said that, I'd say it's still much more embarrassing for Michigan than UVa after Chaminade, just because of the division difference.
    app st is the 2x defending 1-aa champions and currently on a 15-game winning streak (longest in the nation). it's not like they are some chump 1-aa team. this doesn't even remotely compare to chaminade. however, it will hurt michigan a lot more than uva was hurt because of the much shorter schedule. it serves michigan right for putting them on the schedule. if you want an easy tune-up game, stick with the bad d1 teams like duke!

1. At Michigan
    2. Home opener
    3. Number 6 team
    4. Over 100K Mich fans
    5. Against Div AA team

That's awesome.
    Last edited by rthomas; 09-01-2007 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    1. At Michigan
    2. Home opener
    3. Number 6 team
    4. Over 100K Mich fans
    5. Against Div AA team

That's awesome.
    exactly. I am aware of the prowess of Ap State, but if Barton or Winona State (last years final two teams in div 2 basketball) came into Cameron to open the season and won it would be a HUGE HUGE upset, despite the fact these teams won last year, possible larger than Chaminade.

Plus, I just heard the talking heads say that NO 1-AA team has ever beat a ranked team.
    Last edited by Channing; 09-01-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Plus, I just heard the talking heads say that NO 1-AA team has ever beat a ranked team.
    Hmm but how many ranked teams actually PLAY division 1-AA teams?

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Hmm but how many ranked teams actually PLAY division 1-AA teams?
    glancing at the schedule, just this week:

Louisville (v. Murray State)
    Boise State (v. Weber State)
    Ohio State (V. Youngstown State)
    Michigan
    Texas A&M (v. Montana State)
    Hawaii (v. Northern Colorado)

... and that is just this week.

exactly. I am aware of the prowess of Ap State, but if Barton or Winona State (last years final two teams in div 2 basketball) came into Cameron to open the season and won it would be a HUGE HUGE upset, despite the fact these teams won last year, possible larger than Chaminade.
    you can't compare 1-aa basketball to 1-aa football because EVERYONE is 1-a in basketball (336 teams) and what is left for 1-aa is the real bottom of the barrel. 1-a in football is much more selective (i think that there are around 120 teams) so what is left for 1-aa is much better and much more competitive. the best 1-aa football schools would be the equivalent of some of the bottom dwellers in 1-a basketball bcs conferences.

don't get me wrong, it was a HUGE upset, but if you look a little closer, it wasn't that big of an upset. however, i'm sure most of the writers tomorrow will make a big deal out of it.

I think this is definitely a bigger deal that Chaminade over UVA. UVA at least had the opportunity to bounce back and win a title. Michigan could still theoretically claim a BCS berth by winning the Big Televen (though if they can't beat App State at home, how will they run the table in-conference?), but by their standards (read: competing for a national title), their season is effectively over. They will drop at least 15 spots, and have virtually no chance of getting back into the title conversation.
    Last edited by wilson; 09-01-2007 at 08:42 PM.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    you can't compare 1-aa basketball to 1-aa football because EVERYONE is 1-a in basketball (336 teams) and what is left for 1-aa is the real bottom of the barrel. 1-a in football is much more selective (i think that there are around 120 teams) so what is left for 1-aa is much better and much more competitive. the best 1-aa football schools would be the equivalent of some of the bottom dwellers in 1-a basketball bcs conferences.

don't get me wrong, it was a HUGE upset, but if you look a little closer, it wasn't that big of an upset. however, i'm sure most of the writers tomorrow will make a big deal out of it.
    There is no such thing as "Division I-AA basketball". NCAA Division I is now something over 300 schools. Only in football is Division I divided up into I-A and I-AA.

That aside, I agree with your point. This was a big, big upset, but nothing like Chaminade over UVa. App. State is a Div I-AA power - and two-time defending I-AA champion, IIRC. Them winning in the Big House on opening day against #5/6 Michigan is more akin to say, a top 10 Duke team losing its home opener to Davidson - a big upset, but nothing historical.

People forget how big a deal that Chaminade game was. Chaminade was an NAIA school at the time - not even in Division III. UVA was the #1 ranked team in the nation, starring the reigning NCAA POY, Ralph Sampson.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Michigan + 1 loss to App State

= no chance at a national title

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    There is no such thing as "Division I-AA basketball". NCAA Division I is now something over 300 schools. Only in football is Division I divided up into I-A and I-AA.

That aside, I agree with your point. This was a big, big upset, but nothing like Chaminade over UVa. App. State is a Div I-AA power - and two-time defending I-AA champion, IIRC. Them winning in the Big House on opening day against #5/6 Michigan is more akin to say, a top 10 Duke team losing its home opener to Davidson - a big upset, but nothing historical.

People forget how big a deal that Chaminade game was. Chaminade was an NAIA school at the time - not even in Division III. UVA was the #1 ranked team in the nation, starring the reigning NCAA POY, Ralph Sampson.
    i agree with your analogy. if you ranked all college football teams (1-a and 1-aa), app st would be well in the top 100. i was going to draw the analogy of rutgers beating a duke team in the pre-season nc hunt at cameron for the season opener. the big difference, as noted above, is that the #1 team in college basketball can lose to the #336 team and still come back and win the nc. michigan is done.

Cool Not an upset at all

Everybody , including talking heads on ESPN radio, is looking at this as that Michigan lost. I'm sorry. App State won this game. Even last year it was easy to see that the talent level on this team was equal to nearly everyone in any other division. The question should not be how low Michigan could fall but rather how high these Mountaineers should rise. Good job, and I'm not surprised at all.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    The question should not be how low Michigan could fall but rather how high these Mountaineers should rise.
    Unfortunately, "Football Championship Division" (or whatever that new nonsense term for Division 1-AA is) teams are not eligible for top 25 votes. Lord knows the Mountaineers deserve it right now.

Unreal. We are so proud. I was in a sports bar and it was packed full of App St fans and a few Michigan fans. ASU earned the win, no doubt about it. They went into the Big House and smacked #5 in the face.

I think this does surpass the Chaminade/UVA game. Maybe if Chaminade went to UVA and won then we'd have a conversation. Comparable but not close.

Chard, ASU 96'

Congrats to ASU

The biggest cheers of the second half in Wally Wade were for the final ASU score.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Everybody , including talking heads on ESPN radio, is looking at this as that Michigan lost. I'm sorry. App State won this game. Even last year it was easy to see that the talent level on this team was equal to nearly everyone in any other division. The question should not be how low Michigan could fall but rather how high these Mountaineers should rise. Good job, and I'm not surprised at all.
    I agree, very well said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...4&sportCat=ncf

Forde seems to be giving App State there due. They played so well it would be hard not to. They walked into the Big House and socked UMich in the mouth.

Duke vs. Barton

if Barton or Winona State (last years final two teams in div 2 basketball) came into Cameron to open the season and won it would be a HUGE HUGE upset, despite the fact these teams won last year, possible larger than Chaminade.
    Just for the record. Duke's 2007-08 schedule includes:

Saturday, Nov. 3 BARTON COLLEGE Cameron Indoor Stadium 5:00 p.m.

On course (1) its an exhibition game and (2) Duke won't be ranked anywhere near as high in the preseason basketball as Michigan was in football (5 and 6 in the two major polls).

And Barton is the defending Division 2 champ.

Cool Image is Everything

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...4&sportCat=ncf

Forde seems to be giving App State there due. They played so well it would be hard not to. They walked into the Big House and socked UMich in the mouth.
    Kudos to Forde and thanks for the link, Steven. I imagine he won't be the last to give praise where it belongs. It's just a shame that others did not go this route first. Well, after all, It is Michigan. To quote the honorable Gov. William J. LePetomane , "The affairs of state must take precedence over the...affairs of state.".

It is fun to watch the Wolverine fans implode however. If Duke only had these coaching problems.
    Last edited by captmojo; 09-02-2007 at 12:37 PM.