Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

questions

Quote Originally Posted by wk2109 View Post
    I've been following this story from the beginning (mainly through the threads on DBR) and I feel like today's announcement raised more unanswered questions:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but if UNC is not applying for PJ's "reinstatement," doesn't that necessarily imply that PJ was suspended or in some non-active status with the NCAA? Was it ever announced that the NCAA had suspended PJ or was not permitting him to play? Why did UNC/Roy make it seem like they were making the choice to hold PJ out while the NCAA finished its investigation? If the rumors are true that the NCAA handed down the suspension several months ago, UNC appealed, and UNC lost the appeal, what exactly does UNC get out of spinning the story like they did?
    There's still something fishy about this whole story
    What's fishy is the UNC spin machine ... neither PJ nor Leslie were ever suspended by the NCAA ... both were suspended by UNC.

That's the way it works -- or is supposed to. When a school (or a school alerted by the NCAA) finds a problem, the SCHOOL suspends the players in question, then ultimately petitions the NCAA for clearance to play them.

But the expensive PR firm that UNC first hired in 2010, persuaded the school to cast it differently. UNC was always "holding out" players while the "NCAA" investigated. Then, after a number of games, the players would be "cleared to play." UNC would never admit that their players were actually suspended for x-number of games. An amazing number of UNC fans bought the story and came away with the perception that innocent players were held out of action unnecessarily, while the NCAA twiddled its thumbs. That's what led to all the stuff after the football scandal about how UNC was "the most cooperative school" in the history of NCAA investigations.

Ole Roy didn't help matters back two months ago when he put the blame on the NCAA for the delay in getting a decision on his two cheaters (remember his complaint that Johnny Manziel got a decision in two days). Well, we know now that he should have been blaming his own administration -- the NCAA acted promptly once UNC applied for the reinstatement of McDonald ...

To this day, many UNC fans blame the NCAA for their troubles. Or they blame Packpride for exposing their many transgressions. Last night a UNC fan posted a link to a story about Duke's Tyree Glover being arrested on a drug charge ... amazing responses by fans gushing about how much fun its going to be to watch this develop ... of course, the story was from 2011 -- and what they don't note is the Glover never played a game (or practiced with) Duke after the transgression. Duke didn't spend years and millions of dollars trying to get the kid eligible again.

Anything to deflect ...

But don't worry, there is more to come. Eric Prisbell, the USA Today writer who has been all over this story, tweeted in the wake of Friday's news that a major bomb is about to drop. Speculation on Packpride (and, hey, they've been mostly right so far) is that he has evidence that the "Wheels for Heels" program has been going on for a long time -- with the knowledge and maybe support of the administration.

Stay turned ...

Intriguing

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    It sounds like the more powerful institution kind of hung the kid out to dry. I'm not really thrilled with the whole celebratory nature that a lot of people have taken on this decision. A kid's college career has just essentially ended. Yeah, he did stupid things, probably more stupid than most people would have done but he's still just a kid, who got very little support from an institution he gave 2 years of hard work to. Also, I've been given infractions before while playfully indicating that I wished blank player would fall over in warm-ups and be out for the game (obviously a joke), but it's okay to wish that kids from other schools make boneheaded moves and are punished in ways in which they have no recourse? I know it's not exactly the same, this whole thing just kind of rubs me the wrong way. The NCAA and college administrations are, for the most part, bullies who will do anything to protect themselves and each other, while not hesitating to drop the hammer on kids. Duke has done the same thing, that was a while ago now, and it was a completely different scenario, but Duke kicked those lacrosse kids out of school to cover its backside. Well, with all the lawsuits, it came back to bite them in the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. a little bit, and I hope PJ gets a little retribution at UNC too.

UNC wouldn't even try to get him reinstated, not even a shot in the dark effort? If I were Hairston, and UNC did anything wrong that he knew about, I would tell the NCAA every single thing I knew.

I hope he has a solid career in the league because he's got a lot of talent, and I hope he grows up, because he needs to.

I'm sure this isn't going to be a very popular sentiment, and all the fun puns people use are understandable, and it happened to a rival school that has had a lot of problems in this area before, but we are just railing on a kid who made a mistake, even a series of mistakes, which makes the razzing more understandable. I just wanted to get my opinion on the matter out there before we forget all about this in a few weeks. I'm not surprised PJ is done, and would have been more understanding if HIS SCHOOL HAD EVEN TRIED TO TAKE A LONG SHOT TO GET HIM REINSTATED. If you want to trash somebody, trash UNC and the adminstration, not the kid. He's been punished enough (I know, he's probably not reading the thread, but you know, bad vibes coming from DBR can really ruin somebody's day)/
    I don't really agree with most of this. If he has ammo, he can use it on UNC. That is fine, but he not only did what he did on MANY occasions... he lied about it. He was unrepentant enough that he wouldn't even tell the truth. Boo hoo that he lost his eligibility as an amateur. He isn't an amateur when he gets free cars all of the time. He got lucky that others were willing to take the blame for the gun/drugs. He didn't need more luck here. He didn't deserve it. This is not to mention that the NCAA stated clearly what they expected. Hairston just didn't comply. He volunteered to play the game for an NCAA team. He took on the responsibility of those rules. It isn't bullying when a bully punishes you, after you agree to the bully's terms on your own and then decide you don't want to abide by them. He may be a kid, but any 18 year-old who signs into a legal agreement will be forced to live with the consequences of a breach of contract. His athletic status should make no difference. The worst thing that happened to him was that he lost the ability to play basketball at a university. He can still attend the university, if he pays. He can still play basketball if anyone wants him, in Europe right now, and in the NBA later.

Poor PJ.

Wouldn't he be able to sign with a D-league team?...

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Wouldn't he be able to sign with a D-league team?...
    I think he could, actually. I suspect he won't though, since the D-League salary is so poor compared to playing professionally abroad. The only advantage of the D-League is easier access to the NBA, where even a minimum salary would put you reasonably close to the upper echelon of Europe's highest paid players. PJ of course not being eligible for the NBA until next season.

Let's Solve Two Problems at Once!

Since it appears that A&E may be needing a new reality show, may I suggest one?

How about one set in a "flagship" southern university's athletic department, where the BBall team loses to other hapless teams with names like Belmont...er, Kannapolis; where they have a character named, say, P Doobie, whose zany antics get him thrown off the team for blunts, gats and boosters' cars; but whose Athletic Director named, say, "Bubba," waits to toss him until the semester ends so he won't hurt their APR; another lovable loser who gets in trouble with the NCAA via the college's dental school for appearing in ads for their new mouthguard; another sad sack who gets thrown off the team, and later arrested for having blunts in the house he "rents" from the Coach while "working" a part time job for the BBall team! When all these merry pranksters get together, hilarity ensues!

A&E could play upon their recent miseries, and call the new reality show "Dud Dynasty"! In a nod to their "progressive" audience, they could even have the team always dress in baby blue!

Too unbelievable? The public would never buy it? Maybe you're right.

How about a reality show about a college football team addicted to earbobs, with an Assistant Coach nicknamed "Black Santa" and a corrupt but hapless President . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I don't really agree with most of this. If he has ammo, he can use it on UNC. That is fine, but he not only did what he did on MANY occasions... he lied about it. He was unrepentant enough that he wouldn't even tell the truth. Boo hoo that he lost his eligibility as an amateur. He isn't an amateur when he gets free cars all of the time. He got lucky that others were willing to take the blame for the gun/drugs. He didn't need more luck here. He didn't deserve it. This is not to mention that the NCAA stated clearly what they expected. Hairston just didn't comply. He volunteered to play the game for an NCAA team. He took on the responsibility of those rules. It isn't bullying when a bully punishes you, after you agree to the bully's terms on your own and then decide you don't want to abide by them. He may be a kid, but any 18 year-old who signs into a legal agreement will be forced to live with the consequences of a breach of contract. His athletic status should make no difference. The worst thing that happened to him was that he lost the ability to play basketball at a university. He can still attend the university, if he pays. He can still play basketball if anyone wants him, in Europe right now, and in the NBA later.

Poor PJ.
    Do we know that for a fact though? In other words, is it a fact that PJ loses his scholarship to UNC? I agree that he's far from a "victim" here, but I would hope that - if he so chooses - he could still at least get his college degree. That would be the smart thing to do but...it doesn't seem like the words "PJ Hairston" and "smart" belong in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    UNC wouldn't even try to get him reinstated, not even a shot in the dark effort? If I were Hairston, and UNC did anything wrong that he knew about, I would tell the NCAA every single thing I knew.
    Not to pick on you, Dukehky, but please don't drink any of the kool-aid the various parties are ladling out.

"Apply for reinstatement" only occurs after there has been an agreement among the school, the NCAA, and the family of the athlete (because of the repayments required).

The only reason there was no application for reinstatement is that either the suspension would be unacceptably long to UNC (and the player) or the amount of money to be paid to compensate for "impermissible benefits" was too big for the family to swallow.

Here's my take on PJ:

• He repeatedly did a series of things against the rules and which he knew was against the rules. PJ is a "knucklehead."
    • He was not straight with either UNC or the NCAA about what he did. (Lying to the NCAA is a real no-no; ask Bruce Pearl who just had a recruit over for dinner, lied about it, and was thrown out of college hoops for three years.) PJ is a "lying weasel."
    • Now the family is excoriating UNC for not applying for reinstatement, when the family was in on the entire process and knew it was either (a) hopeless or (b) way too expensive. The Hairston clan are "lying weasels."

UNC is certainly not blameless in being "unvigilant" about actions occurring right on campus. And UNC is certainly being "artful" in refusing to apply for reinstatement; that way, the sordid mess is largely buried (except for what can be gleaned from the Leslie McD. evidence).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Wheat?

Wheat I am curious to hear your take from a Carolina fan's perspective because I respect your opinions. What do you make of this UNC mess? of Roy's blathering press conference? (Just read my statement. PJ made some mistakes but he paid for it by running some sprints. Woe is me, I got up at 4am. Don't ask me these questions, the head coach is not part of the NCAA process. I'm just the poor guy who gets put in the middle and sits on the couch." BS The head coach is responsible for his players' NCAA compliance and following the rules. Then Bubba's press conference of just dodging questions (not answering direct close-ended questions at all) by repeating the same line from his prepared statement. The message I took away is (We tried to get PJ back on the team in time for ACC play, but he got caught with too many impermissable benefits.) Then they spin it as one player who made some mistakes. This is not one player who made some mistakes. Now we also find out that LMac didn't just get a mouthguard. He also got luxury cars, cell phones, and free hotel rooms. And UNC keeps playing dumb. The football scandal, academic no-show classes, agents, felons, drugs, gun, Tami Hansbrough, Julius Peppers, Will Graves, Wheels for Heels, and that's just what we know. PJ likely got caught with so many improper benefits they're trying to bury it from public view. How is all this corruption and improper benefits in UNC athletics not lack of institutional control? What do you think Wheat? I feel bad for the UNC fans, players, and students who are trying to do the right thing while UNC athletics continues to operate this way. 10 years ago I never would have thought this could happen at UNC. I would expect this from Calipari, not Roy Williams. Dean Smith ran a program where UNC won with integrity and the right way. Aren't UNC fans sick of this enduring mess perpetuated by lack of accountability? Are we really to believe that all these players just made some mistakes? I hope the USA today guy brings forth evidence on Wheels for Heels & that UNC gets cleaned out and starts over. At this point, that is what they need. Come clean, fire everybody, and start over with dedication to integrity. What do you think Wheat?

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Wheat I am curious to hear your take from a Carolina fan's perspective because I respect your opinions. What do you make of this UNC mess? of Roy's blathering press conference? (Just read my statement. PJ made some mistakes but he paid for it by running some sprints. Woe is me, I got up at 4am. Don't ask me these questions, the head coach is not part of the NCAA process. I'm just the poor guy who gets put in the middle and sits on the couch." BS The head coach is responsible for his players' NCAA compliance and following the rules. Then Bubba's press conference of just dodging questions (not answering direct close-ended questions at all) by repeating the same line from his prepared statement. The message I took away is (We tried to get PJ back on the team in time for ACC play, but he got caught with too many impermissable benefits.) Then they spin it as one player who made some mistakes. This is not one player who made some mistakes. Now we also find out that LMac didn't just get a mouthguard. He also got luxury cars, cell phones, and free hotel rooms. And UNC keeps playing dumb. The football scandal, academic no-show classes, agents, felons, drugs, gun, Tami Hansbrough, Julius Peppers, Will Graves, Wheels for Heels, and that's just what we know. PJ likely got caught with so many improper benefits they're trying to bury it from public view. How is all this corruption and improper benefits in UNC athletics not lack of institutional control? What do you think Wheat? I feel bad for the UNC fans, players, and students who are trying to do the right thing while UNC athletics continues to operate this way. 10 years ago I never would have thought this could happen at UNC. I would expect this from Calipari, not Roy Williams. Dean Smith ran a program where UNC won with integrity and the right way. Aren't UNC fans sick of this enduring mess perpetuated by lack of accountability? Are we really to believe that all these players just made some mistakes? I hope the USA today guy brings forth evidence on Wheels for Heels & that UNC gets cleaned out and starts over. At this point, that is what they need. Come clean, fire everybody, and start over with dedication to integrity. What do you think Wheat?
    Wheat is watching Davidson ahead of heels by 2 with 29 secs left

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Why. Why do this.

Arne. I think you just jinxed Davidson! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Arne. I think you just jinxed Davidson! LOL!
    Yep, my fault and I take all the blame. It looks like it will go down as another inspiring win for the Heels after facing endless imposed adversity.

Yep, my fault and I take all the blame. It looks like it will go down as another inspiring win for the Heels after facing endless imposed adversity.
    Ugh. This was supposed to be my Christmas present from Davidson.

Devildeac, devildeac, why are there no Christmas presents this year?

Because arnie is still king ruined Christmas.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Yes, yes he did.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Santa was sleighed?

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    My views can be found through out these threads. Sorry I don't have time to expand.

Cliff note version...

PJ is to blame for his actions. He knew the consequences and is paying for them.

There is no booster involved with PJ and UNC did nothing wrong, but UNC compliance can do a better job of watching these kids to protect the program from their mistakes.

I like how Roy is handling it all, sticking with him even tho he has to be dissapointed in him. Roy says he will be there for them, and he is. You guys can go all coach K disciplinarian on him, but that's not Roy.

I don't like how players are treated, or any of these NCAA rules. I don't like the NCAA.

Will graves came back to UNC to finish his degree. Good for him. Will Graves had a joint in his rental house. Wheat/"/"/" doesn't care.

Tammi and Matt. Wheat/"/"/" doesn't care. Somebody else can worry about expense accounts.

The AFAM deal is serious and is being taken care of. I see it as individuals making huge mistakes, not the university as a whole.

Merry Christmas to all...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    My views can be found through out these threads. Sorry I don't have time to expand.

Cliff note version...

PJ is to blame for his actions. He knew the consequences and is paying for them.

There is no booster involved with PJ and UNC did nothing wrong, but UNC compliance can do a better job of watching these kids to protect the program from their mistakes.

I like how Roy is handling it all, sticking with him even tho he has to be dissapointed in him. Roy says he will be there for them, and he is. You guys can go all coach K disciplinarian on him, but that's not Roy.

I don't like how players are treated, or any of these NCAA rules. I don't like the NCAA.

Will graves came back to UNC to finish his degree. Good for him. Will Graves had a joint in his rental house. Wheat/"/"/" doesn't care.

Tammi and Matt. Wheat/"/"/" doesn't care. Somebody else can worry about expense accounts.

The AFAM deal is serious and is being taken care of. I see it as individuals making huge mistakes, not the university as a whole.

Merry Christmas to all...
    Wow! "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil"

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Wow! "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil"
    We'll see if Wheat can, and the NCAA for that matter, continue to rationalize these events as disconnected, isolated events if Wheels for Heels noted above by Oly proves to be accurate. Dare we say lack of institutional control?