Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    What the 5:00 practice session had to do with PJ's situation is beyond me, but it must have been relevant because ole Roy mentioned it several times. No matter the setting, Roy's shtick always includes his self described Clint Eastwood badass impersonation. It's always about Roy.

P.J. Hairston Family Statement - Friday, December 20, 2013:

We are displeased with the University of North Carolina’s decision not to submit the necessary paperwork to the NCAA requesting to have P.J. reinstated. This process has been long, and for to end without having a final decision from the governing body is a shame. Ultimately this affects P.J., and his eligibility to play Division 1 collegiate basketball for the remainder of this season, as well as next season.

Despite our disappointment, we wish the team continued success.

P.J. will be making an announcement about his future plans within the next few weeks. For now, we respectfully ask the media to refrain from contacting us, so that they can enjoy a peaceful holiday season at home.

Well now. It seems the UNC administration basically strung PJ out and lied to him, and even persuaded Bilas that the NCAA was the foot-dragging culprit.
    Something's rotten in Orange County. It's foreseeable that this action may impact much about the program in months and even years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    P.J. Hairston Family Statement - Friday, December 20, 2013:

We are displeased with the University of North Carolina’s decision not to submit the necessary paperwork to the NCAA requesting to have P.J. reinstated. This process has been long, and for to end without having a final decision from the governing body is a shame. Ultimately this affects P.J., and his eligibility to play Division 1 collegiate basketball for the remainder of this season, as well as next season.

Despite our disappointment, we wish the team continued success.

P.J. will be making an announcement about his future plans within the next few weeks. For now, we respectfully ask the media to refrain from contacting us, so that they can enjoy a peaceful holiday season at home.

Well now. It seems the UNC administration basically strung PJ out and lied to him, and even persuaded Bilas that the NCAA was the foot-dragging culprit.
    Something's rotten in Orange County. It's foreseeable that this action may impact much about the program in months and even years to come.
    Hmmmmm... now that is interesting. Does make you wonder at what point the anger boils over and he starts talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Hmmmmm... now that is interesting. Does make you wonder at what point the anger boils over and he starts talking.
    Hairston is still practicing with the team, so he may not share his family's anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Hairston is still practicing with the team, so he may not share his family's anger.
    I heard he practiced yesterday, but you think he's still practicing today???

This whole thing is showing a pattern of gross impermissable benefits at UNC. From the football mess, academic scandal, Roy renting expensive house for Will Graves to smoke his weed; to Leslie McDonald receiving multiple impermissable benefits, to PJ lying and receiving so many benefits that he has to be dismissed from team; this is pitiful. Given everything, the Carolina Way is dead and apparently has been for some time. I think Roy and UNC athletics should have the book thrown at them by the NCAA for loss of institutional control. Roy is responsible for knowing about benefits received by his players. It's looking more like a pattern than isolated incident. And what is pathetic is UNC's continued lack of taking responsibility, minimizing (oh what an outstanding young man who made some mistakes), and continued damage-control approach which resembles cover-up. What kind of message does this send to the student-athletes? It seems like they're sending the message - "don't get caught." UNC-Cheat is more appropriate. If I was a UNC fan, I'd be embarrassed and appalled.

In the picture of Hairston on the front page, I believe that's Harry Gilles III, the stud 2016 prospect in the background.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

UNC fans must be devastated, I'd imagine. Those wins against Louisville, Kentucky, and Mich St ratcheted up the importance of when/if Hairston could return. Hard not to dream about contending for a Final Four and conference titles with PJ in the lineup, whether that would've been too optimistic or not. Now, to have that snatched away. Couldn't have happened to a nicer fanbase.

Interesting that UNC gave up on re-instatement but the family did not. Was there something PJ was involved with that UNC did not want to be made public, or the NCAA to dig deeper into? PJ's case file is probably more interesting than McDonald's.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    What the 5:00 practice session had to do with PJ's situation is beyond me, but it must have been relevant because ole Roy mentioned it several times. No matter the setting, Roy's shtick always includes his self described Clint Eastwood badass impersonation. It's always about Roy.
    Heard Roy's comments including- this is worst situation that he's faced as a coach. I guess if his other tribulations were "Haiti or Philippines tsunami like" then this PJ incident is comparable to the great plagues in Europe, potato famines, etc. A poster called him a douche bag, I think that's slandering all other douche bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Interesting that UNC gave up on re-instatement but the family did not. Was there something PJ was involved with that UNC did not want to be made public, or the NCAA to dig deeper into?
    Nah, it's probably as simple as the NCAA said you have no chance to win the appeal. It's possible giving up on PJ was part of the deal to drop McDonald's games down from 18 to 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Can you continue to practice if you are removed from the team??? This makes no sense to me. First, I can see why PJ may want to practice (stay in BB shape and keep skills up), but if he is deemed ineligible, then why would he be allowed to still be a "part" of the team? He would continue to benefit, and UNC would continue to benefit since he would be a great practice player to use in prep for the starters...

Maybe there is no rule against who can and cannot practice with the team, but it sure would seem odd if a kid can be booted off the team, yet still practice with them...

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Hairston's stats before Williams finally woke up and committed to small ball (which allowed Hairston to actually play major minutes): 23 games, 19.2 mpg, 12.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg. After Williams put Hairston in the starting lineup: 13 games, 30.8 mpg, 18.2 ppg, 5.5 rpg.

For whatever reason, Williams couldn't figure out that Hairston was probably his best player until over halfway through the season. He finally figured it out and played Hairston leading player's minutes, and Hairston produced.

Had Williams not been so stubborn about his lineup for the first half of the year, I have zero doubt that Hairston would have been All-ACC last year. But because the ACC voters are count-stats driven, Hairston's limited minutes early in the year kept him off the list.

But make no mistake: he was one of the 5 or 10 best offensive players in the conference last year. And he would have been one of the 5 best offensive players in the conference this year had he played. HUGE loss for UNC.
    Agreed. But I'll add this - while PJ would have been their best outside shooter, he wasn't *just* a shooter. He was able to slash and was a strong finisher, as well as a solid defender and rebounder. He would have filled many holes for the Holes.

I wonder what he'll do with all that free time? Maybe hang out with Will Graves?

Gary Parrish nails it

Although I think he nails, he didn't call out UNC as much as I would have. No body is looking good in this mess.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...eal-shame-here

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    "We first learned of this situation back in the summer and getting to this point took a great deal of time because the University, the NCAA and P.J.'s family took great care to learn as many of the facts as were possible to learn."

Of course, unc probably had advised PJ to say nothing so that few of the facts would be learned.
    The biggest fact they learned was that they could beat top 10 teams without him on the court.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Can you continue to practice if you are removed from the team???
    Not that I give a toot but is there any avenue for him to play some kind of organized ball anywhere right now?
    Haha, maybe he can be Dennis Rodman's video coordinator in North Korea. Yeah, that sounds good.

But can he get on any kind of a team at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Not that I give a toot but is there any avenue for him to play some kind of organized ball anywhere right now?
    Haha, maybe he can be Dennis Rodman's video coordinator in North Korea. Yeah, that sounds good.

But can he get on any kind of a team at this point?
    Maybe I can get him to play on my rec league team. Selling point: no drug testing! Heck, I'll even throw in a car rental or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    That's what the beat writer for the Daily Tar Heel said.

I don't think Hairston has been removed from the team - he's just not eligible to play. His status is probably like that of Enes Kanter during the year he was at Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Hairston's stats before Williams finally woke up and committed to small ball (which allowed Hairston to actually play major minutes): 23 games, 19.2 mpg, 12.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg. After Williams put Hairston in the starting lineup: 13 games, 30.8 mpg, 18.2 ppg, 5.5 rpg.

For whatever reason, Williams couldn't figure out that Hairston was probably his best player until over halfway through the season. He finally figured it out and played Hairston leading player's minutes, and Hairston produced.

Had Williams not been so stubborn about his lineup for the first half of the year, I have zero doubt that Hairston would have been All-ACC last year. But because the ACC voters are count-stats driven, Hairston's limited minutes early in the year kept him off the list.

But make no mistake: he was one of the 5 or 10 best offensive players in the conference last year. And he would have been one of the 5 best offensive players in the conference this year had he played. HUGE loss for UNC.
    Interesting numbers... His minutes went up approximately 50 percent which led to proportional increases in points, rebounds and assists...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Agreed. But I'll add this - while PJ would have been their best outside shooter, he wasn't *just* a shooter. He was able to slash and was a strong finisher, as well as a solid defender and rebounder. He would have filled many holes for the Holes.

I wonder what he'll do with all that free time? Maybe hang out with Will Graves?
    Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier post too. He was one of the most versatile scorers in th ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Interesting numbers... His minutes went up approximately 50 percent which led to proportional increases in points, rebounds and assists...
    Yeah, he was playing really well in limited minutes. Williams finally realized Hairston should play more, so he played PJ more. And Hairston just continued to play really well with the added minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    It's a Christmas miracle!
    And some folks thought I had ruined Christmas last PM .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.