Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    So we'll never get the full story. Figures.

We won't even get to find out how many games he would have been suspended and the "value" (de-value?) of the impermissible benefits he was CAUGHT receiving.

With PJ safely under the bus, and Leslie "freed" after 8 games - with no consequence for endorsing or using at least one custom ($1500) mouthguard - the inquiry into any connection between Fats and other heels is OVER.

ol' roy is disappointed for poor PJ, at least I think that's what he said, the grinding of the bus gears was pretty loud.

unc won't even TRY to get PJ back into uniform, why not even try???????
    In my opinion, UNC has known for sometime that PJ was gone and Leslie was getting 30%, and like most suspected they kept PJ around long enough to finish the semester and not hurt the APR. Why make him practice and go through the charade of "we are working with/waiting on/being delayed by the NCAA and hope to have PJ back soon". Hogwash. It was all a game. Chapel Hill Mafia strikes again.

Notice too how most articles have the Faulcone kid being "Suspended for 9 games" and Leslie McDonald was "cleared to play after being held out 9 games by the University"

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I was trying to think of a gun related pun but I kept drawing blanks.
    A parody of Queen's hit as Roy tosses "another one under the bus" would do nicely.

And yes, it is perfectly acceptable to now ridicule Roy for abandoning PJ after months of ripping him for not kicking PJ off the team immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    He was Honorable Mention, and from the order of listing, appears to be about three places from being third team. He ranked just above Ryan Kelly, who missed 13 ACC games due to injury.

sage
    Hairston's stats before Williams finally woke up and committed to small ball (which allowed Hairston to actually play major minutes): 23 games, 19.2 mpg, 12.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg. After Williams put Hairston in the starting lineup: 13 games, 30.8 mpg, 18.2 ppg, 5.5 rpg.

For whatever reason, Williams couldn't figure out that Hairston was probably his best player until over halfway through the season. He finally figured it out and played Hairston leading player's minutes, and Hairston produced.

Had Williams not been so stubborn about his lineup for the first half of the year, I have zero doubt that Hairston would have been All-ACC last year. But because the ACC voters are count-stats driven, Hairston's limited minutes early in the year kept him off the list.

But make no mistake: he was one of the 5 or 10 best offensive players in the conference last year. And he would have been one of the 5 best offensive players in the conference this year had he played. HUGE loss for UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    ... Had Williams not been so stubborn about his lineup for the first half of the year, I have zero doubt that Hairston would have been All-ACC last year. But because the ACC voters are count-stats driven, Hairston's limited minutes early in the year kept him off the list.

But make no mistake: he was one of the 5 or 10 best offensive players in the conference last year. And he would have been one of the 5 best offensive players in the conference this year had he played. HUGE loss for UNC.
    But convenient excuse for ol' roy. If the NCAA hadn't taken so long, the ordeal would not have been so disruptive and his team would have been more consistent. It is so dadgum hard to concentrate with the specter of the NCAA lurking.

At year end, he will be able to wistfully speculate how much more successful they might have been if the NCAA hadn't robbed him of his best player.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    In my opinion, UNC has known for sometime that PJ was gone and Leslie was getting 30%, and like most suspected they kept PJ around long enough to finish the semester and not hurt the APR. Why make him practice and go through the charade of "we are working with/waiting on/being delayed by the NCAA and hope to have PJ back soon". Hogwash. It was all a game. Chapel Hill Mafia strikes again.

Notice too how most articles have the Faulcone kid being "Suspended for 9 games" and Leslie McDonald was "cleared to play after being held out 9 games by the University"
    Naw! It was a negotiation strategy. P.J. was the supposed treasure for whom UNC was ready to fall on its sword, even though his sins were many. The Heels were using PJ to get a better deal on Leslie McDonald. In the end, UNC said, "We'll give up on PJ, but only if you accept our estimates of the impermissible benefits for LMcD." UNC probably got his games missed reduced to nine from possibly twice that many.

sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

But convenient excuse for ol' roy. If the NCAA hadn't taken so long, the ordeal would not have been so disruptive and his team would have been more consistent. It is so dadgum hard to concentrate with the specter of the NCAA lurking.

At year end, he will be able to wistfully speculate how much more successful they might have been if the NCAA hadn't robbed him of his best player.
    I'll be happy to read his wistful speculation after a UNC first round NCAAT loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'll be happy to read his wistful speculation after a UNC first round NCAAT loss.
    That's spelled N-I-T

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Wonder if he'll move in with Will Graves?
    I have to wonder if Graves issues came at a REALLY REALLY bad time and influenced the decision.

The UNC AD/Chancellor as a result took the decision out of Roy's hands and made a University decision (These clowns wont stop calling me..) as opposed to a basketball decision.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    I have to wonder if Graves issues came at a REALLY REALLY bad time and influenced the decision.

The UNC AD/Chancellor as a result took the decision out of Roy's hands and made a University decision (These clowns wont stop calling me..) as opposed to a basketball decision.
    I assume this decision was made a long time ago. UNC was trying to weasel their way out of it and finally gave up as part of the McDonald negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    A parody of Queen's hit as Roy tosses "another one under the bus" would do nicely.
    What about Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run"... or in this case drive away in a luxury vehicle you don't own.

unc won't even TRY to get PJ back into uniform, why not even try???????
    Because they know, through informal conversations with the NCAA, that a petition for reinstatement will not be granted. It would be a (further) waste of time for everyone involved.

McDonald's application was filed once UNC had reason to believe it would be granted.

I do agree with Newton_14, though, that it's awfully convenient for all this to finally play out right at the end of the semester. If UNC has been confident for some time that a reinstatement was not in the cards for PJ, they should've told him so he could get started playing overseas, or whatever it is he will do next. Maybe they DID tell him and he chose to finish the semester, but it's odd to keep him practicing with the team if all involved know he's done playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Because they know, through informal conversations with the NCAA, that a petition for reinstatement will not be granted. It would be a (further) waste of time for everyone involved.

McDonald's application was filed once UNC had reason to believe it would be granted.

I do agree with Newton_14, though, that it's awfully convenient for all this to finally play out right at the end of the semester. If UNC has been confident for some time that a reinstatement was not in the cards for PJ, they should've told him so he could get started playing overseas, or whatever it is he will do next. Maybe they DID tell him and he chose to finish the semester, but it's odd to keep him practicing with the team if all involved know he's done playing.
    This UNC article gives credence to our thought process.

"PJ's Fate Sealed Almost Two Months Ago"

PJ's options?

So is PJ technically a free agent now? Can he/Does he sign with a pro team, or does UNC try to keep him in school to save the APR? Wuddy'all think he's gonna do?

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Maybe, but doesn't that only work if UNC assumes Hairston will leave school as soon as it's clear that he isn't getting back on the court, and is misleading Hairston about his chances? I mean, there's nothing preventing Hairston from finishing out the semester or the year at UNC regardless of when he is determined to be ineligible.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    So is PJ technically a free agent now? Can he/Does he sign with a pro team, or does UNC try to keep him in school to save the APR? Wuddy'all think he's gonna do?
    Most likely he will play overseas next spring and then enter the 2014 NBA Draft. I'm sure he wishes he'd declared for the 2013 Draft.

Not that he has any incentive to do so, but I wonder if he'll end up talking now that he's been used and finally cut loose...

new hashtag

UNC is now officially #PJ_Free
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Maybe, but doesn't that only work if UNC assumes Hairston will leave school as soon as it's clear that he isn't getting back on the court, and is misleading Hairston about his chances? I mean, there's nothing preventing Hairston from finishing out the semester or the year at UNC regardless of when he is determined to be ineligible.
    Agree. Just not sure what incentive he has to stay on if he is kicked off the team and no longer practicing etc. Maybe he stays on maybe not. In reading the article I linked, and another article linked inside of that one, there were several interesting points. Bubba wanted to dismiss PJ for good in July, but Roy said no. UNC knew two months ago that there was no way he would play again, but decided to package their announcement of PJ together with their announcement of Leslie. The NCAA originally wanted Leslie to sit 18 games, UNC negotiated that down to 9.

A few key snippets from the article

While the details that would ultimately dictate Hairston’s fate became clear
    after those Oct. 24 interviews, UNC intended to package the decision along with
    Leslie McDonald’s case once it was resolved. According to sources, UNC and the
    NCAA went back and forth on the length of McDonald’s suspension over a period of
    weeks. The
    In the report was the acknowledgement that "McDonald’s reinstatement request is
    the only one the NCAA has received from North Carolina.” This highlights the key
    distinction in how UNC handled its investigation of Hairston. According to
    sources, UNC intended to control and rule on the Hairston investigation and
    decision itself, rather than leave it solely in the hands of the NCAA.

Y'all have the spin wrong. PJ has finally been cleared by the NCAA to pursue other opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Not that he has any incentive to do so, but I wonder if he'll end up talking now that he's been used and finally cut loose...
    And give up ol' roy's ex-player benefit package? Rent free use of 1/2 million $ estate on the golf course + ??????

We will never know the extent of excess benefits ol roy provides, because dadgummit, it's nobody's business!