Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

And which of the 16 Waffle Houses (Waffle House site, "Atlanta" locator query) is the best (serious question)?
    All 2,456,321 Waffle Houses are great. I have been to many of them, but am reluctant to rate them.

For late night/early morning entertainment, Waffle Houses are right up there as well. New Years Eve clientele rate a close second to Halloween for (drunken) people watching . . . at least until the next afternoon when you awaken to realize that they were also watching you.

Anyway, it is a moot point, as I am inviting all of you to come eat at my house . . . but maybe I better check with my wife first. I will get back to you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakane View Post
    Buckhead Diner has the 2nd best burger in town, behind the Vortex. Other good restaurants near the Diner are Kyma (get the fish, any fish, prepared in lemon and olive oil) and if you're really hungry and ready to pay, Fogo de Chao is a neat Bralzian Steak house/experience.

Great steaks can also be had at Chops or Bones, and Ruth's Chris does a nice filet for a chain.

Forget waffle house, head for the aptly named, Chicken and Waffles in downtown on Peachtree. Gladys Knight (of GK and the Pips fame) is the owner/operator. Ask for the night train. Three ginormous fried wings and a waffle.
    1. Disagree heavily wrt to burger recs. Best burgers in the city are
    (1) Boccado on the West Side,
    (2) Holman and Finch (they only serve 25 (I think, maybe its 20)) per night and at 10 pm - though you will need to get there earlier to get on the list; you can also sometimes get a burger for brunch on Sunday if they haven't run out or at the Ted (though that obviously doesn't hold in the off season),
    (3) the General Muir in Emory Village,
    (4) Muss & Turners in Vinings,
    (5) 7Lamps around Lenox (its not on the menu - ask for it special),
    (6) Serpas in the Old 4th Ward and
    (7) Littles Grocery around Cabbage Town. I like them in this order, but I won't quibble if you move some up or down.

Vortex just piles a bunch of crap on the burger; the above listed provide a great burger that speaks for itself. Honorable mention to the Stillhouse at East Andrews, though it is still finding its footing.

2. Bones >>>> Chops, but if you want a steak in Buckhead try the KR Steakbar for some very inventive and interesting sides and appetizers. If you can venture out to Roswell, Little Allys is also great.

3. I think GKs C&W is WAY overrated. Get your fried chicken at Paschals or go to South City Kitchen for their Chicken and Waffles at brunch.

Find out everything you never wanted to know about the Atlanta burger scene @BestAtlBurgers on Twitter (which I maintain).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Ann's is the Gospel truth. One of the three best burgers I've ever had, and fills you up for like 2 days.
    Anne's is an experience - just be prepared to wait at least an hour. The burger is more of an experience than a great burger. Decent ingredients, fresh produce, made with LOVE!!! DO NOT go to Anne's if you have a problem with subpar sanitary conditions with the food prep.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    All 2,456,321 Waffle Houses are great. I have been to many of them, but am reluctant to rate them.

For late night/early morning entertainment, Waffle Houses are right up there as well. New Years Eve clientele rate a close second to Halloween for (drunken) people watching . . . at least until the next afternoon when you awaken to realize that they were also watching you.

Anyway, it is a moot point, as I am inviting all of you to come eat at my house . . . but maybe I better check with my wife first. I will get back to you on that.
    Forty years ago in Durham, the people watching in the wee hours at Toddle House and other Waffle-esque venues was spectacular...great mixture of students, recovering or "coming down" from
    recreational exploits, working girls, cops, and anyone else awake and hungry at that hour. Like a watering hole in the desert...

Best strip club would be Cheetah, with what I'm told is a good steak place within it, but honestly, who eats at a strip club?
    I've often wondered that. Maybe the dancers are a bit peckish after their shifts are over.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Atlanta Journal-Constitution suggestions for good eats near the Georgia Dome that ran last week before the SEC championship

http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2...-championship/

Best tip you'll get!

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I've often wondered that. Maybe the dancers are a bit peckish after their shifts are over.
    Bring your ticket stub to the Cheetah after the game and they'll waive the entrance fee!

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    (2) Holman and Finch (they only serve 25 (I think, maybe its 20)) per night and at 10 pm - though you will need to get there earlier to get on the list; you can also sometimes get a burger for brunch on Sunday if they haven't run out or at the Ted (though that obviously doesn't hold in the off season),
    (7) Littles Grocery around Cabbage Town. I like them in this order, but I won't quibble if you move some up or down.

Vortex just piles a bunch of crap on the burger; the above listed provide a great burger that speaks for itself. Honorable mention to the Stillhouse at East Andrews, though it is still finding its footing.

2. Bones >>>> Chops, but if you want a steak in Buckhead try the KR Steakbar for some very inventive and interesting sides and appetizers. If you can venture out to Roswell, Little Allys is also great.

3. I think GKs C&W is WAY overrated. Get your fried chicken at Paschals or go to South City Kitchen for their Chicken and Waffles at brunch.

Find out everything you never wanted to know about the Atlanta burger scene @BestAtlBurgers on Twitter (which I maintain).

Anne's is an experience - just be prepared to wait at least an hour. The burger is more of an experience than a great burger. Decent ingredients, fresh produce, made with LOVE!!! DO NOT go to Anne's if you have a problem with subpar sanitary conditions with the food prep.
    There is something about a cheeseburger at the Buckhead Diner, with a side of crispy fries and a malted vanilla milkshake that just "feels right." It's thick and juicy, and wholly satisfying. When friends visit I take them to the Vortex and everyone is happy from the minute they see the entrance skull to the touristy interior to the burger topping choices. I keep mine simple and classic -- cheddar and bacon, but to each his own.

I can't srgue Holman and finch, but it's just a pain to get in there.

Bring your ticket stub to the Cheetah after the game and they'll waive the entrance fee!
    Probably gotta ask my wife permission first.

Do the dancers accept commemorative ticket stubs as tips?

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post

Praise the lord, THANK YOU.

Vortex is not good. They have done a great job at marketing themselves, and the giant skull door is cool. I think of them as sort of a Hard Rock Cafe for bikers. It looks cool, but in a blind burger lineup, they would fare poorly. The patty is not that big or flavorful.

Burger and herbed fries at The Porter are the best in the city in my book, and I eat more burgers than I should. Holman & Finch is 2nd best, for me.

Great recs on Muss and Turners and General Muir.

I have to disagree on Little's (not that anyone from out of town would be able to find it). I live about 50 feet from Little's and I was so excited when I heard there was this legendary burger down the street. SO disappointed. It's just like a thin, boring Wendysesque burger. While we're on the subject of Little's, I love supporting small, local businesses, but every time I go there, they are so rude. I am sorry I am not an underweight, unbathed, tatted out hipster, but I'm still paying an extra $2 for a 6 pack, so I'd love a simple "Thank You" or at least a hello, or acknowledgement of my existence.

Ann forms the patties by hand out of a big tube of Kroger ground beef, cuts a few onions in her hand (yes, onion in one hand, knife in the other), then cleans her hands and the knife in a tray of bleach water. Yeah... it's a bit gross.

Great ribs are at Fat Matt's Rib Shack on Piedmont.
    Please avoid this place. I know there are a lot of people on this board that love BBQ. Apparently George Clooney dropped the name of this restaurant in a movie, and it has lived off of that reputation for some time.

The food is incredibly mediocre. It's one of those places that you can't believe they are still in business. It's in a pretty central location and I think a lot of cops grab a quick lunch there.

I just don't want anyone to go here thinking this is the best Q that the A has to offer.

Daddy Dz, Heirloom, Fox Bros.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Ann forms the patties by hand out of a big tube of Kroger ground beef, cuts a few onions in her hand (yes, onion in one hand, knife in the other), then cleans her hands and the knife in a tray of bleach water. Yeah... it's a bit gross.
    Onions are incredibly disgusting to start with and not anything anyone should put in their mouth. If her hands are grosser than the onions, I'm out.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Forty years ago in Durham, the people watching in the wee hours at Toddle House and other Waffle-esque venues was spectacular...great mixture of students, recovering or "coming down" from
    recreational exploits, working girls, cops, and anyone else awake and hungry at that hour. Like a watering hole in the desert...
    I hadn't thought about the Toddle House in decades...at the risk of dating myself, I, too, remember that experience from some 40 years ago. Thx for the hazy memory jog.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Please avoid this place. I know there are a lot of people on this board that love BBQ. Apparently George Clooney dropped the name of this restaurant in a movie, and it has lived off of that reputation for some time.

The food is incredibly mediocre. It's one of those places that you can't believe they are still in business. It's in a pretty central location and I think a lot of cops grab a quick lunch there.

I just don't want anyone to go here thinking this is the best Q that the A has to offer.

Daddy Dz, Heirloom, Fox Bros.
    The name does have a bit of rhythm to it. Years ago I was in town with some buddies for a mini-spring break non-Duke NCAA regional. We hit Fat Matt's like a plague of locusts, but the bar was lower (and maybe the food was better) then. BTW, what was the Clooney movie?

For those traveling to town I feel like you have gotten some good recommendations here. Most of these folks are ITP (that's "inside the Perimeter"; I-285 makes a ring around Atlanta and you are either ITP or OTP). I tend to venture in only for sporting events, so here's my thoughts:
    1. If you can find a hotel near a MARTA station it will make things easier, unless you plan on getting there early and staying late to tailgate.
    2. If you are looking for a sports bar I think Dantanna's is great, but a bit pricey. There is a local chain called Taco Mac with very good food and hundreds of beers to choose from.
    3. World of Coca Cola is not worth the cost unless you can drink $30 worth of strange tasting concoctions from around the world.
    4. The aquarium is worth every penny - an excellent facility.
    5. You don't go to the Varsity for the burgers - they are just ok, but the onion rings and fries are great.
    6. After 2:00 a.m. you are legally required to go to Waffle House (ok, maybe it just seems like that)
    7. I've heard great things about the burgers and milkshakes at Flip Burger - but, again, a bit pricey.
    8. For barbecue, Fox Bros., Sam's BBQ 1 or Dave Poe's are all far superior to Fat Matt's.
    9. There are lots of great places in the Virginia-Highlands neighborhood. Use Yelp or something similar to find the type of restaurant you like. I personally love the sushi at Harry and Sons.

Look forward to having y'all in town.

The movie is "Up In The Air".

Two lovers on opposite sides of the table at the Waffle House...but alas they can never truly be together
    because all of their elbows are stuck on the filthy table top with remnants of various unnaturally colored
    disgusting syrups.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Two lovers on opposite sides of the table at the Waffle House...but alas they can never truly be together
    because all of their elbows are stuck on the filthy table top with remnants of various unnaturally colored
    disgusting syrups.
    Sure you're not thinking about IHOP?

;>)

We are staying at the Marriott Marquis and are not familiar with downtown Atlanta. Any food suggestions within a half mile or so (walking distance)? One place that looked interesting to me was Truva? Meehan's public house?

What about breakfast in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by lucybluebear View Post
    We are staying at the Marriott Marquis and are not familiar with downtown Atlanta. Any food suggestions within a half mile or so (walking distance)? One place that looked interesting to me was Truva? Meehan's public house?

What about breakfast in that area?
    Truva is Meditteranean and I like it a lot (great lamb). Meehan's is pub food -- Irish/English style.

There is a Brazilian steak house just south of you if you have the $$$. On Peachtree kinda across from the Hard Rock Cafe.

A few more ideas

Stone Mountain:
    For the family with 10-12 year olds...if time allows, and you care to venture outside of the immediate downtown area, Stone Mountain Park can fill a day with an eclectic mix of nature (a truly massive "mountain" of granite than offers a fantastic view of Atlanta which can be summitted by a hike or a cable car ride) historical attractions, some interesting, some shlocky...and fast food.

Kennesaw Mountain:
    For those whose interest are not limited to gastinomical delights and the in town standards, this National Battlefield includes a vistor center with requisit film about the great battle between Sherman and Johnston. The view from the top is spectacular, the trenches still visible. Its no more than 40minutes drive north of downtown.