Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Chick-fil-A Bowl: DBR's very own ATL Visitors' Bureau

The bowl site offers $3 off the Coke museum ... seems to be a special $25 entry fee for the aquarium on December 30 in the PM ... there's a parade the day of the game ... there's some sort of luncheon/game show w/ the teams on December 30 at the Marriott Marquis ...

There are four bowl games on 12/30 -- including ones involving Duke opponents Navy, GT ... and Mack Brown.
    There are four bowl games on 12/31 -- including ones involving ACC schools BC and VT. We're the last one that day.

The bowl site lists three bar/restaurants which I guess paid for that privilege (including Max Lager's). I checked a bit on tripadvisor and yelp for downtown Atlanta ... would be interested to hear from others in the know here about good places downtown to catch a game.

And which of the 16 Waffle Houses (Waffle House site, "Atlanta" locator query) is the best (serious question)?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    And which of the 16 Waffle Houses (Waffle House site, "Atlanta" locator query) is the best (serious question)?
    The corner of Piedmont Rd. and Pharr Rd., NO QUESTION. Corporate-owned location and always on top of its game.

I think my favorite thing about Georgia is the Interstate exits that have two Waffle Houses, so that on will be on the right side of the highway no matter which direction you're traveling.

The Waffle House with the most aggregate female attractiveness on the staff, in my experience, at least as of 2004, was the northeasternmost location on I-95, the last exit in Maryland. This was before we all had cameras in our phones, so I can't prove it, but take my word. I don't know what was up with that.

I like the urban location that's right near Georgia Tech.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Some people swear by The Varsity, but I don't get it. I know it's an institution and all, but c'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Some people swear by The Varsity, but I don't get it. I know it's an institution and all, but c'mon.
    If you get to a certain age and income level, you quit eating fast food. Not everyone has or will be fortunate enough to tic off both of those criteria.

I can't imagine eating at The Varsity now, but man, when we went on field trips to Atlanta in the 1980s and my mother gave me a five dollar bill, I so looked forward to that stuff. Git me a double steak and a "bag of rags."

(I still occasionally eat at WaHo, so I guess I just realized that I don't consider a chicken breast and eggs "fast food").

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

I liked Hudson's Grille, they have a large selection of draft beer, lots of TV's and a good menu. It's also a short walk to the dome.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I think my favorite thing about Georgia is the Interstate exits that have two Waffle Houses, so that on will be on the right side of the highway no matter which direction you're traveling.
    There's a Sandra Bullock movie waiting to be made about two people arranging to have a breakfast date at the Waffle House off Exit X on Interstate Y, except it's one of the exits with two Waffle Houses and they go to different ones.

Try STATS.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    There's a Sandra Bullock movie waiting to be made about two people arranging to have a breakfast date at the Waffle House off Exit X on Interstate Y, except it's one of the exits with two Waffle Houses and they go to different ones.
    A Southern "Sliding Doors" ... your fate influenced by which Waffle House you patronize ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliding_Doors

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Try STATS.
    I for one have been consistently underwhelmed with STATS. The space is cool, but the food is meh, and a lot of their gimmicks are long on promise and short on delivery. For example, the beer taps at the table that sound really awesome have never been functional in the ~half dozen times I've been there.
    For much better food, but still a proper sports bar experience, right next door to the Georgia Dome, I would recommend Dantanna's inside CNN Center (you can just about get between Dantanna's and the Dome without going outside).

In 1996, This actually happened to me, except it was the two different McDonaldses, in the afternoon, in Danville, Virginia. Her name was Christi and she played the violin. She lived in Lynchburg, but had a dentist appointment down there for some reason, so the plan was to get her teeth cleaned and then see me.

Shortly after, she met a boy who was more conservative than I was, so that was that. Happens a lot in the South. Liable to happen at Liberty. I think she later transferred to Eastman, that's how good she was on the violin. Her parents had smuggled fresh mangoes back from the Caribbean.

Oh, she also borrowed my 1992 Deutsche Gramophon recording of Pelléas et Mélisande and never returned it. I have a mind to look her up on Facebook and ask for it back, just to mess with her, but I think it will amuse me more if I wait until it's been twenty years. I suppose I need to get a new recording of Pelléas et Mélisande.

Man, the wealth of stories that are going to die with me. Cherish this while ya can, y'all. I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Also,

http://www.derbiergarten.com/

Because beer.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

In 1996, This actually happened to me, except it was the two different McDonaldses, in the afternoon, in Danville, Virginia. Her name was Christi and she played the violin. She lived in Lynchburg, but had a dentist appointment down there for some reason, so the plan was to get her teeth cleaned and then see me.
    It almost happened to me with Waffle Houses in fact, but it was for work and we ended up at the same one. We flew in on different days and agreed to meet for breakfast where we were staying off 400 in Alpharetta... I discovered the night before, coming down from a day of hiking, there were two WHs there but guessed right.

The Chicago version of this would be two people agreeing to meet at "that big modern sculpture thingy downtown, you know the one" and one goes to the Picasso while the other goes to the Calder. Or the wrong clock at Marshall Field's, except that everyone still hates Macy's for changing the name.

Shortly after, she met a boy who was more conservative than I was, so that was that. Happens a lot in the South. Liable to happen at Liberty. I think she later transferred to Eastman, that's how good she was on the violin. Her parents had smuggled fresh mangoes back from the Caribbean.

Oh, she also borrowed my 1992 Deutsche Gramophon recording of Pelléas et Mélisande and never returned it. I have a mind to look her up on Facebook and ask for it back, just to mess with her, but I think it will amuse me more if I wait until it's been twenty years. I suppose I need to get a new recording of Pelléas et Mélisande.

Man, the wealth of stories that are going to die with me. Cherish this while ya can, y'all. I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time.
    Promising, but I'm doubting that Sandra Bullock's public want to see her with a beard, much less a throaty one.

And Hollywood would probably change the setting from Danville to Bristol, and make it a state-line issue.

The Chicago version of this would be two people agreeing to meet at "that big modern sculpture thingy downtown, you know the one" and one goes to the Picasso while the other goes to the Calder.
    The juxtaposition between Chicago's modern art and Atlanta's Waffle Houses is richly appropriate in many ways.*

*Let this not be taken as a knock on Atlanta or on the Waffle House, because I love both.

Promising, but I'm doubting that Sandra Bullock's public want to see her with a beard, much less a throaty one.

And Hollywood would probably change the setting from Danville to Bristol, and make it a state-line issue.
    Or maybe John Rocker on the "F" Train to Flushing Meadows. High-lair-E-us.

I can't imagine eating at The Varsity now, but man, when we went on field trips to Atlanta in the 1980s and my mother gave me a five dollar bill, I so looked forward to that stuff. Git me a double steak and a "bag of rags."

The onion rings and chile dogs at The Varsity are just as good as ever ! Best food in town is at the Taqueria del Sol. One on Howell Mill not too far from the Dome. One on Cheshire Bridge Road and another in Decatur.

I have kids, ages 10 and 12, and so am looking through that lense at Atlanta activities.

Top of the list:

- Atlanta Aquarium
    - Coca-Cola Museum (World of Coke?)
    - MLK Museum and Church
    - Carter Presidential Library/Museum
    - Little Five Points - great strolling and shopping area
    - Turner Field tour
    - Piedmont Park

Is the Buckhead Diner still around?

wafflehouse.com only gives you the 16 closest Waffle Houses to whatever point you put in. There are way more than 16 in the Atlanta area.

According to Yelp, the best one in town is the one near Georgia State, a few blocks from the Dome.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/waffle-house-atlanta-47

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Is the Buckhead Diner still around?
    Yes, and it's still as good as ever.